Author Topic: How Long Can Rajon Keep This Up?  (Read 4048 times)

How Long Can Rajon Keep This Up?
« on: May 07, 2008, 05:16:39 PM »

Offline celtic4life

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
I know he's still a young guy--22?? But seriously the way he is built He Takes Alot I mean Alot of Abuse during each and every game.Gettin hit when he takes it to the hole etc.. I really dont know how long he can keep it up without getting injured.

Re: How Long Can Rajon Keep This Up?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 05:20:16 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I know he's still a young guy--22?? But seriously the way he is built He Takes Alot I mean Alot of Abuse during each and every game.Gettin hit when he takes it to the hole etc.. I really dont know how long he can keep it up without getting injured.

I wonder the same thing about Iverson myself.

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 05:27:26 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
well, AI has a similar body type and toughness and is still going strong a decade+ later, so im not real worried. The same argument has been made about ginobli for 5 years, and pierce when he started.

every guy who drives hard gets this argument, injury's happen no matter where you are on the floor.

Guys who are willing to put it on the line do fine.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 05:42:23 PM »

Offline Tommy Gun

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
I think Rondo is actually Bigger than AI or at least carries more muscle on his frame..He has learned how to take the contact and flop a bit to get calls..

I think he is so quick that guys can't react that quick to his moves, he uses good ball fakes and foot fakes and does'nt just drive straight into guys

A guy like Delonte was far more reckless and injury prone..

For the most part I'd say he will get away with his style and start getting more respect calls as his career goes on..That being said you never can tell when a cheap shot might change things
See, this is why I'm not allowed to announce NBA games -- I'd be talking in the Cookie Monster voice right now:

Ahhhhhhhhhh ... my knee hurts ... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh ... me don't like when my knee hurts ...

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 09:20:52 PM »

Offline stanthompsonismyhero

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 53
  • The Boston Three Party!
As far as I'm concerned, 11 more games will do.
Curt Schilling: "It's a stupid idiotic comment to make."

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 09:52:50 PM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5
Honestly, the question has passed my lips also. I played the game, on my level, and I'm flat out amazed at the physical punishment guards of A.I & Rondo take on a nightly basis. And this too is why I was, and am so very hyped at having a quality backup guard of Cassells caliber, if the need comes due to injury durring these playoffs.
Yes, it is always a risk of injury moving at those speeds and off the ground that high so frequently. Unbelievable atheletic specimens that can absorbe that punishment in an 82 game season and on throughout the playoffs without injury. To do so without injury IS truly when amazing happens, IMO!

A few very tough and durable dudes there in A.I and Rondo, for sure...

Let's hope he can sustain it for the Celtics for a very long durration. Crosses fingers!
"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 09:58:37 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Rondo is in fine shape. He uses a lot of runners/floaters to avoid getting beaten up too badly. He's only going to get better at them and use them more as his game matures. His midrange game has come along a lot, when he trusts it more on the drive we'll see more there too. He'll be fine, those moves (will) cut down the beating he takes.

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 10:02:30 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
As far as I'm concerned, 11 more games will do.

11 games + 11 years...

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 10:36:19 PM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
He's only going to get better, not worse. As long as he's healthy which by today's standard is 10-12 years.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 10:38:16 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

I wonder the same thing about Iverson myself.

I don't think Rajon has taken 1/100th of the punishment Iverson ever took - especially in his early years.  Iverson took it to the hole a lot more than Rondo and created contact way much more than Rondo.

I'm not knocking Rondo, Iverson was just looking to score more often than Rondo. 
Yup

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 11:26:29 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
A lot of this has to do with the resiliency of his age/athleticism, and I don't think it's an accumulative thing at all. The daily bumps and bruises don't "add-up" to anything that he can take or not take, but rather his body, (and most everyone's at that age, if relatively healthy), repairs itself very quickly, and is not in danger of reaching any kind of "critical mass", where it attains a saturation point and can take no more abuse.

It's really not until the forties, where the body begins to take longer to rejuvenate and repair, and where injuries can "pile up" to a point where they begin to affect the overall health of the body systems. I DO think some people are more resilient than others, and just watching Rondo get up and shake off some of the throws to the floor that he does, is enough to indicate that he may be a little more resilient than most, or at the very least, a little more lucky than most, to have not incurred serious injury.

Believe it or not, a great deal of such injuries are affected by the mind as well, and what each person's emotional and mental state dictates as injury. Where one person has been conditioned to assess themselves as "injured", may be a very different level of physical stress or pain than someone else with the very same problem. Don't get me wrong, a broken bone is a broken bone, but some people have a much higher level of resistance than others, and can take much more abuse.

Some may consider the opposite of such as "wimps", or "whiners", when in fact that person may have a very low resistance to pain or stress, and what one person would feel or consider as a minor injury, may indeed be much more serious to another, or at least cause a level of pain which is much more intense to that particular person. That's why it's so important to not assess injuries in relation to others in general, but to assess them in relation to the history of that person in particular, and what they're feeling.

Even family members are a much better litmus to use when assessing injury or pain than say a stranger would be, as there may be a great deal of difference in the stress/pain level of one person in relation to another. Sometimes it can even be to the point of say a muscle pull, that keeps one person from being able to walk, and yet the same level of injury in another barely results in a limp. This is where the fine line between someone with a low tolerance level and a hypochondriac gets blurred, and it's tough to distinguish at times.

I think Rondo is just a very resilient young athlete, and that he may have a very high tolerance level, where someone like LeBron may have a level that's very low, (though I get more personal satisfaction from just thinking he's a whiner and a wimp). That high resistance level is a very obscure thing to assess, obviously, but can be a very valuable asset, especially in the world of sports. Some players are just less prone to injury, like it seems Rage may be, and others get damaged more often and more easily, like a Penny Hardaway or a Grant Hill, whose careers have been seriously hampered by their tendencies to get hurt.

There are many factors involved, and these discrepencies of judging resiliency and injury, while being light-years ahead of where they were even ten years ago, are still too intangible to get a solid grasp on, or be able to assess in any consistent, objective way. Let's just be grateful that Rondo has, for whatever reasons, been one of those who seems less affected by those daily bumps and bruises than the majority, and that his pit-bull tenacity and toughness is packaged in the body of a great young point-guard, and wrapped in Celtic green!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *