Author Topic: PERK is clutch?!?  (Read 3463 times)

PERK is clutch?!?
« on: May 07, 2008, 02:20:56 PM »

Offline green tea

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8

Yes, Perk is going to need help containing Z. 

But in the playoffs, the young man has been playing solid D, hustling for boards, and for the most part, keeping his TO's down.  He's even shown some moxy with his offense.

But wow...18 for 21 (.857) over the past 8 games for a guy who's a career 62% FT shooter?  He's hit some nice FT's in the clutch as well. 

TP for Perk! 

Re: PERK is clutch?!?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 02:23:40 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Perk is growing before our eyes.

Really nice to see, and really, really needed for this team.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 02:30:05 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Absolutely Green Tea, well noted props for Perkins. I definately like the fact that Perk has stepped it up.

I thought he was huge in game 7, which menas he obviously stepped up under pressure. And he was good last night as well.

Since Perk came on board, I've always said I thought he'd end up settling in at around the following average numbers, in time:

12-15 points a night
8-12 boards a night
2-3 blocks a night

I still think he will get there but it make take another two years. Those numbers on top of his defensive presence and physical play make him a very good center in the NBA.

One thing I've noticed and that I really like, have actually been hoping to see, is that he is starting to take and make, if ever so rearely at thsi point, a littel fade away jump shot. I've always wanted him to take a few face up jump shots. I like the little fade away he does in the lane every now and then and he hit a nice baseline jumper last night.

If he gets confidence in his 8-10 foot jump shot and combines that with his bulk and the fairly nice up and undr move he can pull off and throws in a few right hook shots he cold actually become a decent scorer.

I expect he will.

My only question with him is deos he play with fire every night. When he decides to turn it on he can really get after it.    

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 02:35:56 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266

Redz,you are right,it was almost like watching your kid,take his first step last night.Perk shocked the heck out of me,but it was a pleasant shock.I am so glad to see the growth in players,especially him.I think his problem has been,work ethic at times,or just a little on the lazy side.Maybe im wrong,just observing certain things,ive witness on/off the court.From listening to Doc.and others,led me to believe,he might have been a little on the lazy side.But as you say,"growing before your eyes".

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 02:40:24 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Redz,you are right,it was almost like watching your kid,take his first step last night.Perk shocked the heck out of me,but it was a pleasant shock.I am so glad to see the growth in players,especially him.I think his problem has been,work ethic at times,or just a little on the lazy side.Maybe im wrong,just observing certain things,ive witness on/off the court.From listening to Doc.and others,led me to believe,he might have been a little on the lazy side.But as you say,"growing before your eyes".
no way Perk is lazy. Behind KG he is probably the hardest working player on the team. Remember when he came into the NBA he was just a pudgy 7 footer out of high school. He worked his butt off to get his body fat down and gain muscle. He also took Big AL under his wing and got him into shape. The injury problems more then anything are why it's taken him a little longer to develope.

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 02:44:39 PM »

Offline green tea

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8

Yeah, it's really nice to see.  To be honest, I was a little worried at how Perk would come around after his buddy (and our dearly departed) Al Jefferson left. 

I've always viewed Perk as a hard worker.  I actually think he tends to make the most out of his physical gifts (since he's not the fastest or most athletic guy in the world).  I'm very happy that KG's fire has rubbed off a little on Perk. 

I think Perk can be a solid center for years to come.  If he could eventually put up a consistent 12/8/2 (given he gets enough minutes) and bring his FT % over 70 with his current supporting cast, I'd be overjoyed!

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 02:49:50 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
One of my problems with Perk has always been that he has never been able to "learn", or "adapt" his game with the surroundings.  Al Jefferson kept improving while he would still make the same mistakes (and he still does, like bringing the ball down to dunk).  However, one play that I though was a very mature, experienced play was during the end of the game, where Perk was called for a BS push foul.  On the very next play, he goes for a rebound and Big Z touched him, and he did the "shake and rattle" and he got the call.  That was very mature of him to recognize the situation and take advantage of it.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 02:51:32 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Yes, Perk is going to need help containing Z. 

But in the playoffs, the young man has been playing solid D, hustling for boards, and for the most part, keeping his TO's down.  He's even shown some moxy with his offense.

But wow...18 for 21 (.857) over the past 8 games for a guy who's a career 62% FT shooter?  He's hit some nice FT's in the clutch as well. 

TP for Perk! 

I know you don't mean to, but I think you are even selling Perk a little short here.  His defense in the last two games especially, has been absolutely dominant. 

Particularly the way he hedges on the perimeter is absolutely amazing to watch.  I keep hearing that Lebron had an off night, or that he was shut down by Pierce and Posey...but as good as they played, they could not have done anything if it wasn't for the incredible team defense played by Perkins and Garnett.  They both would show so hard on the perimeter that Lebron would have no place to go, and would be forced into a bad pass, or bad perimeter shot.  Then those times when he did get past the first defense, Perkins or Garnett were waiting by the hoop to cut him off, and change his shot.

Yes, he may not have the stats that some guys have, but right now, Perkins is playing like one of the top 2 or 3 defensive centers in the entire league.

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 03:51:41 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I love the way that everyone keeps under valuing Perk.  The national media, the fans from other teams, and even us to some degree. 

Notice, everytime he gets fouled to prevent a dunk/layup, the national announcers have to mention that he is a "poor free throw shooter".  What does Perk do?  Knocks 'em down!

Other fans (if you read the LOY's Place Comments from the Other Side) seem to think he's some scrub we have to play since we have no other option.  What the unknowledgable ones out there keep missing is that he is absolutely keeping the post in check.  Yes, Atlanta hurt us with slashing and quickness, but NO ONE is dominating us down low.  Props to Perk (with a great deal of help from others...read KG).