Author Topic: Lebron the Crybaby?!  (Read 13946 times)

Re: Lebron the Crybaby?!
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2008, 01:45:35 PM »

Offline Aaron

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 18
Hey, if Larry Bird knew that, with a little acting, he'd be getting some extra calls and put his team in a position to win the game... you better your buttons he would!

Again, blame the refs and the NBA... don't blame the players for looking for an advantage.

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2008, 01:52:16 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
i agree with you that much of the blame falls on the NBA (david stern). regardless, there is an athlete's code - there's a fine line, and he goes over it all the time. i really dont think larry would have done that. he might have complained a little more, but no way would he have taken it as far as lebron has. garnett and pierce certainly dont now. jordan didnt. shaq doesnt.

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2008, 01:54:15 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
Well in our defense last night Wallace had only 1 foul and that came in the 4th quarter..Either he is just standing around or he got away with a hell of a lot last night..

The truth has to lie in the middle...As long as they let the Cs bang with the Cavs thats okay..But if it goes to the Cavs advantage in the post and rebounding fouls that is bad news..

As for lebron he is a Superstar...But he also goes to the rim quite a bit out of control, his other pet move is too Dig his shoulder into the defender going to the hoop to create space..If you can move your feet stay in front of him, and hold position..These are offensive fouls

I completely agree with this post.  Wallace, Z, Perkins and garnett were all pushing last night, a lot.  The refs were letting it go.  It went both ways...you can't complain about that as a fan.

I am of the thinking that Lebron's second charge was a block on Pierce but that doesn't mean you can;t justify the charge call either.

On Lebron's last drive he was grabbed by Posey, which may have caused him to take an extra step and then received contact from Perkins.  I have no problem with the refs letting that play go.  Nothing during the play really warranted a whistle (the grab and travel balance out, and Perkins contact was minimal) and the fact is that Lebron should have made that layup......he knows it.

My biggest pet peeve is when fans blame a loss on the officiating.  There are cavs fans who believe the Cavs lost because of the refs.  The fact is that the Cavs lost because the Celtics outplayed them.

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2008, 02:00:38 PM »

Offline Aaron

• Kristaps Porzingis
i agree with you that much of the blame falls on the NBA (david stern). regardless, there is an athlete's code - there's a fine line, and he goes over it all the time. i really dont think larry would have done that. he might have complained a little more, but no way would he have taken it as far as lebron has. garnett and pierce certainly dont now. jordan didnt. shaq doesnt.

The same Shaq who if famous for his post-game tirades against the officials (a move he no doubt picked up from Phil Jackson)?  I believe on of his quotes was something to the effect of, "Teach the [dang] refs how to call a **** game".

I agree -- it never used to be this way, but I'd back off of saying KG and Pierce don't do it.  Everytime KG is closely guarding someone and they bring the ball up, KG throws his head back like he just got elbowed.

And I believe the athlete's code is to win.  This isn't Little League... what if we won game 2 on a cheap flagrant? 

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2008, 02:08:37 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Bronnie can cry all he wants and I'll still keep smiling (so long as he keeps scoring a dozen a night)
Yup

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2008, 02:12:10 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
There was a time when Mike Brown and the Cavs always said they were a 'no excuses' team.  I liked that statement much more than the posturing that goes on now

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2008, 02:14:07 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
As for Michael and his supposed non-whining.  Just watch a replay of whenever a ref had the audasity to call a foul on him.  The ref would always get a 'you just lost your job' look from Michael.

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2008, 02:19:44 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
well i've tried posting this twice now, and it got lost both times. here's hoping 3rd time's a charm.

shaq gets hacked more than any player in the game. due to his size, opponents consider him open season, and foul him all the time. if there's anyone who deserves to complain about the refs, it's shaq.

as for garnett and pierce, when's the last time you saw them roll around on the ground for minutes like they were shot, and then come back in 5 minutes later? pierce goes to the basket all the time, often gets knocked down, and doesn't get the call. he never complains to the media. how often does garnett complain to the media? jordan?

my point is, shut your mouth and play the game. lebron is phenomenal, no doubt. why do all that silly acting and whining? you're an athlete, not an actor. play the game - that's the athlete's code. look at the majority of great players in nba history - that's how they played.

as for us winning game 2 on a bogus flagrant foul, i highly doubt that would happen, given our opponent. but if it somehow did happen, no celtic fan, player or coach would be caught dead complaining about the officials.

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2008, 02:21:54 PM »

Offline Tommy Gun

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
Well in terms of Jordan..I will always remember the greatest no call ever for a game winner against Byron Russell and utah in the finals.

Little push off with the off hand for the 20 ft J and the win

As the other poster noted about Pierce...For an All star and star player pierce likely gets the least amount of respect from the officials..He often goes to the hoop and gets mugged below the rim...

I think part of that is he is'nt a high flyer...i also think the league and officials have given him a bad rap.

Like David Stern being so positive pierce gave the Hawks a gang sign..Stern and his monkeys would'nt know a gang sign if it bit them in the ASS
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 02:27:04 PM by Tommy Gun »
See, this is why I'm not allowed to announce NBA games -- I'd be talking in the Cookie Monster voice right now:

Ahhhhhhhhhh ... my knee hurts ... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh ... me don't like when my knee hurts ...

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2008, 02:22:46 PM »

Offline vibaciousb

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
i must say that lebron would have made a good soccer player with his persistent acting in hope for foul calls, as annoying as that may be i must say he is one of the more likable (albeit overprotected and overhyped) superstars in the league. i have never heard him call out ownership (cough cough kobe) or call out other players (unless they have called him out for no good reason  i.e. stevenson). although i sure would like to see him put up the same type numbers he put up last night. i could get used to 2 fg nights with double digit turnovers this series.

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2008, 02:26:53 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
The officiating goes both ways. 

It won't in Cleveland.

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2008, 02:31:02 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
The officiating goes both ways. 

It won't in Cleveland.

Already making excuses I see      :)

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2008, 02:39:47 PM »

Offline Aaron

• Kristaps Porzingis
my point is, shut your mouth and play the game. lebron is phenomenal, no doubt. why do all that silly acting and whining? you're an athlete, not an actor. play the game - that's the athlete's code. look at the majority of great players in nba history - that's how they played.

I'm not trying to argue with you... I wholeheartedly agree.  But they do all that silly acting and whining because it WORKS.  Until the NBA starts calling fouls on floppers (or fining them after the game), and the refs stop getting intimidated by players on the court, we have to deal with it.

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2008, 02:55:05 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
and to show I am a good sport.....Lebron may actually be crying in this last picture

http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/?p=1038

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2008, 03:19:28 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
Reading through all this and after watching the game, I still haven't seen anything that makes me feel Lebron is a crybaby. He might look at officials in disbelief sometimes but anybody who pretends Pierce doesn't do/hasn't done that is nuts. Some of the lack of respect he gets (and I do agree with the fact that Pierce does not get veteran/All Star respect from officials - I don't like that that system exists, but it's even more frustrating when that pecking order does exist and work against you when you play All Stars but it does not work for your All Star) is probably related to the asenine head wrapped in ice packs thing after the Indiana game three years ago. That was more of a crybaby move than anything I've seen Lebron do.

I'm not calling Pierce out, I don't see him whining about calls in the media barring that one incident. But the thing is, I don't see that from Lebron either. Lebron complains on the court sometimes. So does Pierce. But neither does it on the level of the Spurs or Pistons. And neither blames losses on officiating. Lebron admitted last night he was just off. "I missed a lot of shots I know I can make. I missed layups. Those layups I've made my whole life." No mention of refs, no whining.

Maybe he milked the flagrant call, but I agree with some others, if you can get better for your team, why not? If the refs watched the plays more closely and not the reactions of the players, they'd make better calls.

And I agree with MMac, I do hate blaming losses on officiating. Last night, the refs let a lot of action go, but I guess it probably was pretty even. Given that I watch games with a bias, if I don't feel a game was egregiously officiated, then it was probably pretty fair. Even though Atlanta shot ten more free throws per game than we did and I thought there were some terrible calls, we lost the games we lost, it wasn't officiating. And last night, had we lost, it wouldn't have been officiating, it would have been the failure to get any clutch contributions and any contributions at all from Pierce and Allen. Instead, we got huge plays down the stretch from KG, Cassell and Posey, and we won.

The Cavs have no right to whine about officiating as the reason they lost, and we would have no right to whine about officiating as the reason had we lost. Both teams played pretty crappy - the team that got more good performances in a crappy game won. KG, Perk, Posey and Cassell all played well for Boston, I'd say only Ilgauskas and maybe Wallace and Pavlovic played well for Cleveland. Wally was decent but I'd personally want more than 5 for 14 from him on a night when Allen didn't make him work at all defensively. Players decided the game, whether there were bad calls or not. It was pretty even on the whole. I just hope it remains the same.
Go Celtics.