Author Topic: Moving forward. How can the Celtics create easy shots for the swing guys?  (Read 10009 times)

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think to get Ray involved the best way is to run Wally ragged. Send Ray around double and triple screens/picks on the low posts feeding Ray on the wing with the ability to feed the last picker, shoot a wide open jay or cut to the basket using the last picker again. That's just one example but the answer is to set tons of screens underneath and up top for Ray to run Wally into and then get him the ball, whether it be from inside out or outside in. Screens, screens, screens.

When Wally sits and they bring Boobie Wilson in I think the smartest thing to do is a two man iso on one side having Ray post up the much smaller Wilson.

Besides KG, Ray Allen has the most exploitable match-ups in this series. He's faster and a better athlete than Wally and he's bigger and stronger than Wilson. Doc should take advantage of this with multiple plays thrown Rays way to start the game and then immediately when Wilson enters the game.

If Ray goes off on Wally by running him into people and getting open for the shot, then Cleveland will counter with Wilson to have him fight around, over, and through the screens. Once that happens post up Ray. Cleveland will have to adjust like crazy on the fly.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
It is amazing. 

One easy layup, and Ray finds his stroke. 

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
It is amazing. 

I don't think it was simply finding his stroke, since the only real shot he had in the first half looked very good, but it rattled out.  I may be mistaken, but these are things I noticed to get him going or that got him going.  I saw less double teaming and trapping from the Cavs on Ray.  Ray wasn't getting the ball solely on the perimeter, but off courls and picks in the midrange area which made him become more active.  Once he got the ball he initiated his first offensive movement quicker than before.  I think all those little things helped him going, and surely that layup gave him the confidence and the energy to become more active, as well as a better game plan to get him involved.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
It is amazing. 

I don't think it was simply finding his stroke, since the only real shot he had in the first half looked very good, but it rattled out.  I may be mistaken, but these are things I noticed to get him going or that got him going.  I saw less double teaming and trapping from the Cavs on Ray.  Ray wasn't getting the ball solely on the perimeter, but off courls and picks in the midrange area which made him become more active.  Once he got the ball he initiated his first offensive movement quicker than before.  I think all those little things helped him going, and surely that layup gave him the confidence and the energy to become more active, as well as a better game plan to get him involved.

It is part mental.  He had not hit a shot all series.  One easy basket, and that pressure is off and he is hitting shots again.