Author Topic: Moving forward. How can the Celtics create easy shots for the swing guys?  (Read 10006 times)

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think this is key. 

Get both Pierce and Ray easy shots early on in game 2 to get them going (while not ignoring KG)

What can the Celtics do to get them open in good spots?

For Pierce, I would like to see them run him off some more picks (Perkins) without the ball if for no other reason then to make James run.  A pick and roll with KG. 

For Allen, get him the balls early of the picks and closer to the basket.

Also, clear out some space and let him use the dribble against Wally. 

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I definitely agree: get Ray more plays from inside the arc.  In the past, I think Ray has heated up after the team has run some plays to the basket for him.  He needs to be more integrated into the offense, rather than simply a spot-up shooter.  Sometimes, Doc has a tendency to utilize Ray like Kyle Korver, and I think that does him a disservice.

As for Paul, I'm not sure that we have to do anything special; he'll get it going.  I'd recommend as many drives to the basket as possible, and the suggestion of the pick-and-roll is always a good one.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I definitely agree: get Ray more plays from inside the arc.  In the past, I think Ray has heated up after the team has run some plays to the basket for him.  He needs to be more integrated into the offense, rather than simply a spot-up shooter.  Sometimes, Doc has a tendency to utilize Ray like Kyle Korver, and I think that does him a disservice.

As for Paul, I'm not sure that we have to do anything special; he'll get it going.  I'd recommend as many drives to the basket as possible, and the suggestion of the pick-and-roll is always a good one.

The fact that Pierce has struggled all year with Cleveland, getting him some easy baskets while making James work harder on defense can only be good for the Celtics. 

Anyone else think a little fatigue might have played a small role in the missed layup at the end of the 4th? 

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
As for Ray, I'd start by placing him on the same side of the court as Garnett, so that when he draws the defenders in he can pass it out to Ray. I often see Ray on the weakside wideopen but with no one from the strong side noticing him or noticing him but realizing that's a risky pass. I'd also like for the refs to call more fouls when Ray drives to the basket, I think he has the record this year for driving to the basket, getting fouled, and not getting a call.

The other you have to set him some good screens... the Celtics did a lousy job at that yesterday, and Rondo has to do a better job giving him the ball in rhythm.  If there's a fault in Rondo's passing and moving the ball, is that he doesn't time the passes well, often resulting in a wasted freed-up Ray.  Cassell does this well, but he isn't known to make the passes often though.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
A few things can happen.  

Keep running those baseline screens for Allen where he can come off the pick and shoots those 15 footers from the elbow.  They're bound to drop at some point for him, right?  Pierce just needs to attack the basket more.  His game is on when he is slashing to the hoop.  Also, exploit the occasional mismatches more.  Celtics missed a few opportunities last night when Delonte would be on Pierce or Wally was forced to take on Pierce.  Gotta find those.  Paul will torch those guys.  

The other thing to consider is that if KG remains hot, he's going to be drawing those double teams in the post.  He's a good enough passer to kick things out to the open man for a jumper.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Anyone else think a little fatigue might have played a small role in the missed layup at the end of the 4th? 

In regards to Lebron, right?  Fatigue may have been a factor there but I actually think that he was bumped just enough by Posey (think it was Posey) to spin his body just enough to throw off the shot.  Yes, it was a layup but he was contorting his body quite a bit going into the shot and I think the bump threw him off just enough to make the shot more difficult.

Offline Frontierboy

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Rondo needs to penetrate and kick to Ray and Pierce....

Ray needs to come off of 2 or 3 picks......

Pual just needs to slash into the lane more.....

Game 1, Ray only took 4 shots cause KG and Rondo were so hot, so I don't mind that he was scoreless.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

In regards to Lebron, right?  Fatigue may have been a factor there but I actually think that he was bumped just enough by Posey (think it was Posey) to spin his body just enough to throw off the shot.  Yes, it was a layup but he was contorting his body quite a bit going into the shot and I think the bump threw him off just enough to make the shot more difficult.

Hard to see from the camara angles, but that wasn't an easy layup, he seemed to twist his body and wasn't in front of the rim as far as I can see, he was to the side of it, hence why he needed to twist his body to shoot it.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Hard to see from the camara angles, but that wasn't an easy layup, he seemed to twist his body and wasn't in front of the rim as far as I can see, he was to the side of it, hence why he needed to twist his body to shoot it.

Looking at it again, I think Perkins actually was the one was caused Lebron to contort himself awkwardly going into the shot.  It definitely wasn't a gimme.

Offline PointGaurd

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 8
Actually I think the answer is pretty simple, we have to do the same thing Cleveland has to do.  Have PP/LBJ drive to the hoop a few times, either score or draw fouls.  And the defense will begin to cave in.  I think we have the 2nd option because we can dump it inside to KG, which Cleveland has absolutely no answer for!! Ben Wallace gaurding him at this point is a JOKE!!

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
Actually, Cleveland's defense is set up to not let Allen and Pierce beat them.  The Celtics are going to have to rely on KG's jump shooting and their PG play to win their game. 

If Rondo drives, he is not going to be able to kick it to Allen or Pierce, Cleveland will not leave them.  When Rondo drives, Z rotates.  Rondo's options on a drive are to shoot or to pass to Perkins

Offline Ersatz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 37
Pierce needs to stop being a jump shooter. Pick and roll with him and Garnett is needed more, but in general his driving, making LeBron work, and drawing fouls. He had zero free-throw attempts yesterday.

Ray needs more passes off picks and also needs to create more. Against Wally, the latter should be easy.

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
With Pierce, he has to stop taking the ball all the way to the rim every time. He has a great midrange jumper and he is creating enough room to take it. Unfortunately, he kept going all the way to the rim, and Cleveland always had someone there to challenge him. Often he can finish over big men, but when he is struggling, he should take pull up and take that 12 footer. The C's also need to look at the rotations and see how to make the big men pay for helping out.

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
well, paul did drive alot, i watched him get hammered to the floor 4 times with no calls to be fair. He still took to many jumpers though.

ray just had a realll off night, i don't expect it to happen again.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
Well, Allen only took 4 shots.  He just stood around on offense.  Made him much easier to guard