Author Topic: Start Posey?  (Read 14830 times)

Re: Start Posey?
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2008, 10:08:00 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
i'd say stick with the 66-win rotation but that's just me

Yeah, seriously. I can't believe people are wanting a lineup change at this point. I really hope Ray goes off next game to stop these threads.

If you stop these threads there would be nothing but a blank screen. I didn't mean to get anyone so worked up, it was just an idea. I thought that was the whole point of this Celticsblog, to throw out ideas and see what other people thought about them.

That being said, even if Ray scores 50 it won't change what I was saying, it would reinforce it. The Celtics could use a scorer off the bench and don't appear to be utilizing Allen in a starting role resently. Posey would give them what I see as a Bowen type of starter with Ray being a Ginobilli kind of gut off the bench. He could still play plenty of minutes. I'm not trying to punish him in any way. I just think it might help a team that Atlanta took to 7 games, play better.

« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2008, 10:28:12 AM »

Offline jluce

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9

Yeah, seriously. I can't believe people are wanting a lineup change at this point. I really hope Ray goes off next game to stop these threads.

If you stop these threads there would be nothing but a blank screen. I didn't mean to get anyone so worked up, it was just an idea. I thought that was the whole point of this Celticsblog, to throw out ideas and see what other people thought about them.

That being said, even if Ray scores 50 it won't change what I was saying, it would reinforce it. The Celtics could use a scorer off the bench and don't appear to be utilizing Allen in a starting role resently. Posey would give them what I see as a Bowen type of starter with Ray being a Ginobilli kind of gut off the bench. He could still play plenty of minutes. I'm not trying to punish him in any way. I just think it might help a team that Atlanta took to 7 games, play better.

Fair enough. I just really don't like to make a drastic change at this point in the season. I can objectively look at what you are saying and I understand your logic. However, at the same time you got to love the fact that we can bring in a fresh Posey and give Pierce a blow to guard James. If Ray Allen scored 50 the other night, people would be saying Pierce needs to get benched for Posey. I just don't like the idea. I like how they have things now.

« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2008, 10:40:04 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff

Fair enough. I just really don't like to make a drastic change at this point in the season. I can objectively look at what you are saying and I understand your logic. However, at the same time you got to love the fact that we can bring in a fresh Posey and give Pierce a blow to guard James. If Ray Allen scored 50 the other night, people would be saying Pierce needs to get benched for Posey. I just don't like the idea. I like how they have things now.

You're probably right about making changes at this time, but how about next year? Just in general, does it make sense?

« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2008, 10:49:41 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

You're probably right about making changes at this time, but how about next year? Just in general, does it make sense?

I'm not sure if you responded to this argument yet, so allow me to repeat one argument (and forgive me if you've already responded).  Ray is a creature of routine.  As the recent Jackie MacMullan story pointed out, Ray does not adjust well to change.  I can't imagine he'd feel very comfortable coming off the bench.  Maybe it would be better if he had an entire off-season to get used to the idea, but I still think it would cause major issues for him.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2008, 12:06:13 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff

I'm not sure if you responded to this argument yet, so allow me to repeat one argument (and forgive me if you've already responded).  Ray is a creature of routine.  As the recent Jackie MacMullan story pointed out, Ray does not adjust well to change.  I can't imagine he'd feel very comfortable coming off the bench.  Maybe it would be better if he had an entire off-season to get used to the idea, but I still think it would cause major issues for him.

I did read that story and think that it might cause a problem if they did it now, but I would think that given a year to adjust he would have to be able to accept a change. I mean since last year he's managed to change his number, adjust to getting less shots, spend a lot less time creating his own shot. He even managed to adjust to living in a new city. While it appears from the artical that he doesn't like to change his routine, it doesn't seem that he is incapable of it. He could still show up 3 hours early and shot around, eat chicken or whatever it is he does now. By your logic, he would have to start the rest of his career and I don't know that's going to happen. He just needs to adjust his routine, not eliminate it.