Author Topic: Ray Allen = John Starks  (Read 6180 times)

Re: Ray Allen = John Starks
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 09:23:58 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
How about using the offense to create some easier shots for Ray (and Pierce)?  Some shots far inside the arc?

Let them get the confidence up, and then, they become the dangerous weapons they have been all year. 

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2008, 09:48:15 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Give me a break- Allen has plenty of shots, it would be great if he could start making them. How long did we sign him for?

Did you watch the game?  Ray Allen only took 4 shots last night.  I blame that on coaching and to a degree the point guards. You have to find your shooter and give him the ball in a position when he can has success. 0-4 from the field and 3 of the attempts was from the 3 point arch.

You seem to have the most grasp on the situation.  It seems like some people just look at the box score and don't actually watch the games.  But I'll take it a step further.  It's not just the coaches and the point guards that are too blame.  It seems to me that there are several plays set up to get Allen open looks, but the team isn't running their offense with a purpose.  They were almost doing it like a warm up drill.  There were a lot of times when the bigs, KG especially were supposed to be setting screens on Wally, and they weren't committing to it.  If you slow down Wally the slightest bit, he has such little lateral quickness, it would give Ray all the time he needs.  But Wally was getting through unscathed all night.  That can't happen.  They need to run their offense with the same determination and execution as they do on defense.

But also, when Allen has the ball in his hands with either Wally or Delonte covering him.  There is no reason to run a pick and roll.  Neither of those guys can guard him one-on-one, so they should just clear it out.  That's on the coaches.

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2008, 09:57:48 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
How about using the offense to create some easier shots for Ray (and Pierce)?  Some shots far inside the arc?

Let them get the confidence up, and then, they become the dangerous weapons they have been all year. 

Agree completely with the issue being no one getting Ray great shots. KG was on fire last night from the perimeter so he got most of the outside ones. Ray missed two wide open one's that he usually wouldn't. No big deal.

As far as PP. Look for him to struggle all series against Lebron just like he has done all year. Lebron is his Daddy defensively. PP played decent D when he was in there on Lebron though, but that usually is going to favor King "bubble".

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2008, 10:03:03 AM »

Offline PointGaurd

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 8
I think in games 5-6 against Atlanta Ray shot 5-8 from the 3 pt line.  This is just off memory, but the guy was on fire! He'll get it back.  and to compare a guy who's been doing this consistently for over 10 yrs is just crazy!  Starks was a flash in the pan.