Author Topic: Doc deserves A LOT of credit for tonight  (Read 12052 times)

Re: Doc deserves A LOT of credit for tonight
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 06:10:36 AM »

Offline stanthompsonismyhero

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 53
  • The Boston Three Party!
It's seriously a long-term problem when the best I can think to say about Doc's coaching performance after a big playoff win is, "well, at least he didn't cost them the game this time."  Seriously, why doesn't House ever play anymore?  He's not injured; he's listed as "DNP -- Coach's Decision" in the box score.  Yet another bad "decision" by the Celtics' (yes, I'm about to use quotes sarcastically) "coach." 
Curt Schilling: "It's a stupid idiotic comment to make."

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2008, 06:21:38 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I've said before, I think the difference in coaching can generally account for a 3-5 win difference in the regular season, +5 with a terrific coach, -5 with an awful coach, the talent usually does the winning.  The playoffs are a different beast though, and there's 2 parts to the formula, motivation and gameplan/execution.  We know Doc is a master motivator, some of us question his x's and o's/rotation.  Doc had a worst case scenario today, 2 of his 3 allstars were duds tonight.  The Cavs had a similar problem, their superstar was off.  Doc made the adjustments needed to win - Posey was in on Lebron when needed, Sam was hot and got the rock, KG was dominant in the post, when Powe wasn't doing much other guys were brought in - Perk got more minutes, etc.  It was a great rotation and in game adjustment. My hats off to Doc, I think this was one of those games where the coaching if not won the game, put the team in a position to win, despite lackluster play of guys you need to score

On a sidenote, just think - Pierce and Allen will shake off this funk...So will Lebron - I take our two over their one any day 
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2008, 06:42:35 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
KG, Rondo, Sam, Posey, PP, and Perk deserve the credit. I didn't see the first half so I'm probably missing someone.
It was almost a miracle that the C's won this game, and if Sam had missed just one of those bombs that went in, it would have been a disaster. But you have to love Sam's cajones in the clutch and his ability to get himself shots.
On the other hand, how badly does Ray Allen have to play before Doc reduces his minutes!!!!! Obviously, it doesn't seem to matter to Doc because a player can't be much more useless. And after the game, everyone says it's the team's fault for "not getting him involved". HUH?
Anyway, I'm going to get bashed for being negative after a win, but I don't  feel all that encouraged after that game. The real credit goes to the homecourt advantage- LeBron didn't get the phantom calls(again, I only saw the second half) that he'll get in Cleveland.
Guess what I'm rambling on about is that, basically, Doc and the team are lucky to be up 1-0, but it's a whole lot better than a loss!, so yeah, give Doc credit I guess :)

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2008, 07:11:19 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
It was average.  I was glad he gave TA some run...

I thought he should kept PP on the bench the entire 4th quarter.  PP wasn't ready to compete tonight....kind of mind buggling if you asked me.

RA number wasn't called too often so it was hard for him to get in a rythm, but PP's lack of focus was mind buggling...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 07:19:33 AM by coco »

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 07:36:59 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
It was average.  I was glad he gave TA some run...

I thought he should kept PP on the bench the entire 4th quarter.  PP wasn't ready to compete tonight....kind of mind buggling if you asked me.

RA number wasn't called too often so it was hard for him to get in a rythm, but PP's lack of focus was mind buggling...

so the great defense on lebron means nothing  huh? Clearly paul had a terrable night offensivly, but in the 4th alone he caused 3 turnovers for lebron i can remeber off the top of my head. 2 charges and one forced travel in the corner.

I wish paul had scored 20 to go along with his D to, but him and posey came up huge on defense.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 07:52:10 AM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
there is no way doc shoulda benched paul...how can u jus give up on the best playa on your team...he had to leave paul in there...for one it woulda made paul mad which will make his game worses....im sure doc trust paul and hope paul would find away to get out of the scoring slump..when paul has games like this he always come back stronger...im glad doc left him in...

many of you have this love hate relationship with doc..doc is a good coach..he got us this far..i really dont like the fact eddie house is not apart of this playoff run...but i guess we must trust him..sammy might be doin sumthing in practice that eddie aint...?.

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 08:04:15 AM »

Offline Tenacious D

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 232
Tannner "It was a mixed bag for me.  2nd quarter wasn't a shining moment for Doc. [he] could have used Paul at the start of the quarter at SG (not used TA at all) and tried getting him into a rhythm."

Good points all around, espec. re PP (was calling for him at SG in game thread). That would give the C's a size mismatch and let Ray sit til his shot turns up in lost luggage. (of course, he'd have to figure who back's up Pose for Bronbron duty--Tony?). Also thinking Powe too short to matchup vs Cavs frontcourt.
"Celtics Bring Structure And Discipline To A Chaotic World"

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 08:22:00 AM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
It was a mixed bag for me.  2nd quarter wasn't a shining moment for Doc.  It seemed he was trying to fit in as much of his bench as possible (though I get he wanted to try players and certain matchups).  He didn't call a timeout when the team was spiralling out of control with turnovers.  Boston ended that quarter with 8 TO's; Cleveland, 3.   Cavs got back in the game after being down by 10 at the 1st.

I thought the team needed Rondo much earlier in the 2nd and could have used Paul at the start of the quarter at SG (not used TA at all) and tried getting him into a rhythm. 

3Q was turnovers redux but this time led by starters, foremost pierce.  Likely halftime instructions, but the team went overboard going to Pierce when it was apparent he was just forcing things with Lebron.  Again, no timeout in a long stretch riddled with turnovers.  Even when Doc finally called one, the turnovers continued.  Lucky for us, the Cavs matched our sloppy play.   

4Q is the quarter I'd commend Doc:

-Sitting Ray or Paul (at least one of them) down for quite a long stretch and going with Posey.

-Sticking with Sam. I think he second-guessed his decision and put Rondo in with less than 3mins left but quickly realized it was likely a mistake to bring an ice-cold Rondo in and quickly re-inserted Sam.  It was a gamble playing Sam over Rondo but nobody was really hitting shots from outside and Sam was.

-Going to the post with KG again.  It worked in the 1st but they went away from it all throughout the 2nd and 3rd.   

-Defensive substitution with Posey at the end (though I would have preferred he stayed with Posey entirely and not bring Ray back again). Nonetheless, it showed Doc was willing to sit Ray or Paul down in a late game situation for defensive purposes and not go small ball as he had done so much in the regular season.

Finally, have to say the defensive gameplan on Lebron was just superb.  I don't think they could have done and executed any better than that.  Much credit to Doc and Thibs for that.

What all the "Great work" the Cs did on LeBron he still had a chance to tie the game with a open Layup that the just miss.

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2008, 08:43:12 AM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
KG, Rondo, Sam, Posey, PP, and Perk deserve the credit. I didn't see the first half so I'm probably missing someone.
It was almost a miracle that the C's won this game, and if Sam had missed just one of those bombs that went in, it would have been a disaster. But you have to love Sam's cajones in the clutch and his ability to get himself shots.
On the other hand, how badly does Ray Allen have to play before Doc reduces his minutes!!!!! Obviously, it doesn't seem to matter to Doc because a player can't be much more useless. And after the game, everyone says it's the team's fault for "not getting him involved". HUH?
Anyway, I'm going to get bashed for being negative after a win, but I don't  feel all that encouraged after that game. The real credit goes to the homecourt advantage- LeBron didn't get the phantom calls(again, I only saw the second half) that he'll get in Cleveland.
Guess what I'm rambling on about is that, basically, Doc and the team are lucky to be up 1-0, but it's a whole lot better than a loss!, so yeah, give Doc credit I guess :)

Learn a bit about basketball before you go off.  Ray on the floor always draws attention on the perimeter, pulling help away from the post, whether he is making his shots on a particular night or not.  No team is just going to leave Ray wide open because he is 0-4, knowing all it takes is one big three to get him going or turn the game in the C's favor.  Pulling him out because he is cold on a particular night would be extremely reactionary, like you, and defeat the whole strategy of using him to space the floor. 

And all the cries for House to come in and do that job again reflect ignorance about House's ability to play the 2 DEFENSIVELY.  Everyone agrees that House is not a true point guard, yet, because he is barely 6' tall, if that, he has rarely, if ever, been used at the 2, simply because he is drastically over matched defensively.  With House, you have to live with his atypical play as a point guard when he plays, despite Sam's supposed domination of the ball, he has been a point guard his whole career and fits that spot on the floor better than House.  It seems people only think of offense when they assert House should come in for Ray, they never consider the defensive implications, a main reason House has never been used as a 2 in his career, he is a shooting 1, not a true distributor, but the 1 is really the only spot he can play because of his physical limitations defensively. 

Do you think the Cavs would take out LeBron if he missed 10 shots in a row or that the C's would guard him less closely because of that?  Doc has repeated this constantly about Ray's impact, not surprised those who think he is a lousy coach rarely listen to what he has to say or respect it.  Ray spaces the floor whenever he is out there, simply because he is a deep threat, whether he is 5-5 or 0-10, taking him out because of his FG% on a give night would absolutely be the wrong thing to do

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2008, 08:45:25 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
I loved it when Perk ended up guarding LeBron and LeBron settled for a missed brick jump shot instead of taking Perk off the dribble. ;D

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2008, 09:04:44 AM »

Offline PointGaurd

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 8
Doc didn't make Allen miss all of his shots tonight, and Doc didnt make PP get 2 fouls to sit, which got him out of the rhythm of the game.  He could've played House, but Cassell pretty much stretched the defense last night, am I wrong?

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2008, 09:12:47 AM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
Lets not give Doc credit for Lebron's struggles any more than we blame him for Pierce and Allen's struggles.  If you are going to credit him for one, you have to blame him for the other.

As per usual, his rotation management, except for keeping House on the bench, was totally inconsistent.  And after Rondo's explosion in the first half, where was he when the Celtics offense totally stagnated and they couldn't generate any points? 

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2008, 09:13:20 AM »

Offline reggie35

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 51
I agree with the mixed bag assessment. Doc did well in the 4th quarter, but I felt like they could've stepped on the Cavs throat a bit in the 2nd quarter instead of making wholesale changes in the rotation.

We won though and you could argue it was a direct result of Doc going to KG on Smith in the 4th.

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2008, 09:30:05 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Doc had his good and his bad.

The end of the game, good.  He put the ball in the hands of his best player in the best spot (KG down low)

The 2nd quarter, bad.  The 1st half was all about KG and Rondo.  He left them on the bench to long in the 2nd quarter and allowed the Cavs to erase a 10 point lead. 

Ray and Pierce.  Not doing a better job within the offense early to create easy shots for Pierce and Ray to get then going.  (the 2nd half is to late to worry about that)

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2008, 09:31:54 AM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
Not fouling before Lebron's last drive was also a serious miscalculation.  That's on the coach, who should have told his players what to do and should have the credibility to get it done.  Doc even admitted it was a mistake after the game.  If Lebron scores, this is a totally different conversation.

Bottom line: Doc actually made a last minute decision that very well could have cost the Celtics the game.