Author Topic: Doc deserves A LOT of credit for tonight  (Read 12042 times)

Doc deserves A LOT of credit for tonight
« on: May 07, 2008, 12:50:09 AM »

Offline JAM

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
Doc did almost everything perfectly tonight.  I have been pleading for Doc to go for years, but tonight he coached a wonderful game.  My hat off to him.

He substituted beautifully.  He kept Ray and Paul on the bench when he should've.  He kept Posey in when he shoud've.  He sat Rondo at the right time, and kept Sam in for the right stretches.

His game plan against Lebron was most effective.

He orchestrated a play at the end of the game for KG IN THE POST.  Plus, he kept Sam in for that play, which prevented the double team because the Cavs couldn't leave him.  The Cavs would've left Rondo and made that play a lot harder for KG.

He never panicked.  He had time outs and the end of the game.  He had fouls to give at the end of the game.

I think he's learning how to be a playoff coach pretty quickly. 

Congrats to the whole squad, including Head Coach Rivers.

Re: Doc deserves A LOT of credit for tonight
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 12:56:12 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Tp, i thought he did a very good job tonight. My one complaint was going to the bench unit + ray a bit early in the 2nd quarter when we had a lead and the cavs went 11-2 to get back into it.

Overall though, a very nice job by doc, though im sure some people will be by to tell us it was an avergae job at best  ;D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 12:57:40 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
He never panicked.  He had time outs and the end of the game.  He had fouls to give at the end of the game.

I will give u this one

Tp, i thought he did a very good job tonight. My one complaint was going to the bench unit + ray a bit early in the 2nd quarter when we had a lead and the cavs went 11-2 to get back into it.

Overall though, a very nice job by doc, though im sure some people will be by to tell us it was an avergae job at best  ;D

yup pretty average.

thank god the second oldest player in Cs squad aka as sam takes his rol
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 01:01:59 AM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
you must be kidding! House gets ZERO time today while Ray goes about 2-26 in the last 3 games? House gets nothing?? When he is a fine 3 pt shooter? Doc is a moron. House at least needs some time to strecth the d. IMHO, Doc is choking up and he just throws the whole starting group in and sits there and shakes and trembles and prays it will work. If we win the titel with this bad of a bench coach it will be a miracle.

I DO believe in miracles.

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 01:04:01 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
you must be kidding! House gets ZERO time today while Ray goes about 2-26 in the last 3 games? House gets nothing?? When he is a fine 3 pt shooter? Doc is a moron. House at least needs some time to strecth the d. IMHO, Doc is choking up and he just throws the whole starting group in and sits there and shakes and trembles and prays it will work. If we win the titel with this bad of a bench coach it will be a miracle.

wow, didn't take long at all for a completely biased doc bash, i should have given odds :D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 01:04:42 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

I will give u this one with a TP
I was screaming at chat room for House to get a couple of minutes during 3rd quarter...and 3rd only
sadly never happend

Nice to be back!

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 01:06:12 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

wow, didn't take long at all for a completely biased doc bash, i should have given odds :D

1 to 100% how much credit Doc deserves tonight

For me its a 4% tops
And I dont have a problem with Doc tonight
now if we had lose
maybe its all PPs and Ra fault no matter the excellence in execution on D

And other Basketball tip , when u deffend that hard ure usually tired to attack

Nice to be back!

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 01:08:58 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Not much he could do about it. Pierce was in foul trouble and Garnett played the whole first quarter and a couple of minutes to start the second quarter.

This is ridiculous. Who cares wether House gets minutes or not in the SG position. When Ray goes to the bench, it's not House who needs to be brought in.  It's Pierce moved to the SG position and have Posey SF.  House's SG minutes are going to Posey in this instant. And believe me, wether Ray is hitting his 3's or not, he's stretching the defense. I guess the first 3 quarters of game 6 didn't count either.  Given he hasn't shot well in the last couple of games, but to suggest to bench him for House, a with his size at the SG position... I want to see how well that works out for our defense, that was excellent tonight.

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 01:09:26 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I don't give Doc much credit tonight. He stuck with the starters too long, when it was clear that most of them just did not have it, other than Rondo and Garnett. The Cavs basically collapsed their D and dared us to shoot 3's. Why we did not give Eddie the chance to go off is beyond belief. Could have broken the game open earlier.  Let's chalk this one up to gutting it out, and getting a bit lucky. Don't count on getting lucky a second time this series.

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 01:20:39 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I don't give Doc much credit tonight. He stuck with the starters too long, when it was clear that most of them just did not have it, other than Rondo and Garnett. The Cavs basically collapsed their D and dared us to shoot 3's. Why we did not give Eddie the chance to go off is beyond belief. Could have broken the game open earlier.  Let's chalk this one up to gutting it out, and getting a bit lucky. Don't count on getting lucky a second time this series.

I don't think playing Pierce 29 minutes, with 3 personal fouls total, and playing Cassell and Posey 18 and 25 minutes respectively is really sticking with his starters too long. So he played Ray a lot, big deal... it wasn't like he was the one hurting us out there, he barely mananaged to put enough shots to be able to do that.  Now, if he was 2 for 14 like Pierce was, I would've thought otherwise... but he only took 4 shots, not enough for me to go ballistic over it. And House wasn't going to do a better job than him deffensively as a SG.

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 01:36:55 AM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78

please dont question another fan about his likes about the Cs
feel free to repost without doing that.
thanks
Edgar
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 01:41:29 AM by Edgar »

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 01:47:27 AM »

Offline houlana

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 21

i do give a lot of credit to doc for the way he managed the end of the game.
my only criticism would be the decision to sit rondo the second qtr.  he was on fire, going to the hoop and passing the ball, the cavs had no answer for him.
i felt that if stayed in there and kept producing that this game would not have been close as we could have built on the 10 point lead

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 01:57:51 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

i do give a lot of credit to doc for the way he managed the end of the game.
my only criticism would be the decision to sit rondo the second qtr.  he was on fire, going to the hoop and passing the ball, the cavs had no answer for him.
i felt that if stayed in there and kept producing that this game would not have been close as we could have built on the 10 point lead

specially if hes not in your plans for 4th quarter
altough im sure this is circunstantial

Nice to be back!

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 04:43:45 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
i'm giving the original poster a tp and budweisercelt a tp because i agree with everything they've said.

doc did a solid coaching job tonight.

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 05:16:59 AM »

Offline tanner

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 33
It was a mixed bag for me.  2nd quarter wasn't a shining moment for Doc.  It seemed he was trying to fit in as much of his bench as possible (though I get he wanted to try players and certain matchups).  He didn't call a timeout when the team was spiralling out of control with turnovers.  Boston ended that quarter with 8 TO's; Cleveland, 3.   Cavs got back in the game after being down by 10 at the 1st.

I thought the team needed Rondo much earlier in the 2nd and could have used Paul at the start of the quarter at SG (not used TA at all) and tried getting him into a rhythm. 

3Q was turnovers redux but this time led by starters, foremost pierce.  Likely halftime instructions, but the team went overboard going to Pierce when it was apparent he was just forcing things with Lebron.  Again, no timeout in a long stretch riddled with turnovers.  Even when Doc finally called one, the turnovers continued.  Lucky for us, the Cavs matched our sloppy play.   

4Q is the quarter I'd commend Doc:

-Sitting Ray or Paul (at least one of them) down for quite a long stretch and going with Posey.

-Sticking with Sam. I think he second-guessed his decision and put Rondo in with less than 3mins left but quickly realized it was likely a mistake to bring an ice-cold Rondo in and quickly re-inserted Sam.  It was a gamble playing Sam over Rondo but nobody was really hitting shots from outside and Sam was.

-Going to the post with KG again.  It worked in the 1st but they went away from it all throughout the 2nd and 3rd.   

-Defensive substitution with Posey at the end (though I would have preferred he stayed with Posey entirely and not bring Ray back again). Nonetheless, it showed Doc was willing to sit Ray or Paul down in a late game situation for defensive purposes and not go small ball as he had done so much in the regular season.

Finally, have to say the defensive gameplan on Lebron was just superb.  I don't think they could have done and executed any better than that.  Much credit to Doc and Thibs for that.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 05:25:31 AM by tanner »