Author Topic: Winning Ugly  (Read 10446 times)

Re: Winning Ugly
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 01:43:51 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Don't know about you guys, but that was one ugly game. But hey, a win's a win. I'll take it.

An ugly win is beautiful.

Redz waked up this late?
at Edgars hours...  :P ;D

Just got back from the game

I'll be sleeping soon, don't you fret
Yup

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2008, 03:41:28 AM »

Offline Slugger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
Wow ... this was about the worst game we've played all season ... hard to believe after Sunday's game. The only thing that saved us tonight, is that the Cavs played just as ugly! These Cavs don't scare me as much as Atlanta did ... I really feel like we match up better against this team, and if we run effectively, we can blow these guys out!

Umm, we played the Hawks sunday.

Big difference defensively between the 2 teams.  I think when it came to Atlanta it was more of a case of us not executing, whilst Cleveland actually play a defense which affects our execution.

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2008, 04:01:59 AM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
No offense anyone but if you think that was an ugly win you're not a big fan of playoff basketball. Those are the kinds of games the very best teams of our era, the Spurs and the Pistons, win one or two of every year in the playoffs. As ugly as it was offensively it was a stroke of genius defensively. I watched Lebron and only Lebron for every Cavs possession to see how he was being guarded and there's no doubt in my mind that he'll be equally unsuccessful at penetrating next game. He may knock down those j's but the scheme as well as the job done by individual defenders on him tonight was flat out high performance basketball and should be commended far beyond the flow of the game. What we do offensively doesn't mean a thing, that's why there's 10's of millions going to three superstars, one of them is always bound to step up. Defense is the only priority and by that proportionally I feel as if we scored 140 pts. At no point did I feel we lost the momentum, a swing yes, but not momentum.

Limit turnovers next game, Paul and Ray get 16-20, run a bit more, blowout. Every game will be ugly because it's obvious what Doc's doing. When they bring in their goons, we bring in ours, when they bring in their bench, so do we. Paul said it himself, if they're not running Lebron's not running.  We just saw a 90's Knicks game, some dirty plays, hard nosed ball, loved every second of it. Keep it up and the talent will always win and of the remaining teams that's always going to be the C's. Genius strategy. If they play defense like this from now on they'll be the best team since the 72-10 Bulls and that's no exaggeration. It takes a whole team to shut down Lebron but either way that's what happened. My fav game by Doc this season.

Rope-a-dope.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 04:09:40 AM by davemonsterband »
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2008, 04:11:53 AM »

Offline Slugger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
No offense anyone but if you think that was an ugly win you're not a big fan of playoff basketball. Those are the kinds of games the very best teams of our era, the Spurs and the Pistons, win one or two of every year in the playoffs. As ugly as it was offensively it was a stroke of genius defensively. I watched Lebron and only Lebron for every Cavs possession to see how he was being guarded and there's no doubt in my mind that he'll be equally unsuccessful at penetrating next game. He may knock down those j's but the scheme as well as the job done by individual defenders on him tonight was flat out high performance basketball and should be commended far beyond the flow of the game. What we do offensively doesn't mean a thing, that's why there's 10's of millions going to three superstars, one of them is always bound to step up. Defense is the only priority and by that proportionally I feel as if we scored 140 pts. At no point did I feel we lost the momentum, a swing yes, but not momentum.

Limit turnovers next game, Paul and Ray get 16-20, run a bit more, blowout. Every game will be ugly because it's obvious what Doc's doing. When they bring in their goons, we bring in ours, when they bring in their bench, so do we. Paul said it himself, if they're not running Lebron's not running.  We just saw a 90's Knicks game, some dirty plays, hard nosed ball, loved every second of it. Keep it up and the talent will always win and of the remaining teams that's always going to be the C's. Genius strategy. If they play defense like this from now on they'll be the best team since the 72-10 Bulls and that's no exaggeration. It takes a whole team to shut down Lebron but either way that's what happened. My fav game by Doc this season.

Rope-a-dope.

WEll said.  Agree with everything except for the "run more" part.

Protecting the defensive glass is our no.1 priority in this series.

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 04:39:12 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
paul thought it was ugly, from espn:

"We've set ourselves up for an ugly series," Pierce said, although his coach made the point of saying "it was a beautiful win."

it wasn't the prettiest, but i enjoyed it.

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 05:03:47 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Great pic on ESPN:

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 08:56:28 AM »

Offline MrsNumba17

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 17
  • I Love NUMBA 17 !
I'm just content that we won.

Go Celtics!!!

8)
"A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals"
~Larry Bird

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 09:30:21 AM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
Expect every game in this series to be played like last night's. 

Lebron won't be off like that again tomorrow.

The key for the Celtics is going to be Rondo.  If he plays like he played last night then the Cavs are in trouble.  Cleveland's defense is going to take away Allen and Pierce and try to keep Garnett out of the paint.  The cavs are content leaving Rondo (Cassell) and Perkins open and letting them try and win the game.  The PGs for Boston executed last night.....can they do it again?

This reminds me of the Pistons/Cavs series last year.  I still think the Cavs can win in 6

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2008, 09:50:52 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Extremely frustrating and mind-numbing at times but a great win.  Defense was phenomeonal last night and KG stepped up big down the stretch.  Sam stepped up with Ray and Pierce struggling.  Posey did a heckuva job on both sides of the ball.

Game did remind me a lot of Pistons/Celtics from the 2002 playoffs but I don't recall being as frustrated at that game as I was last night.  Nothing was dropping and just weird things happening all night.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2008, 11:47:22 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
It reminded me a bit of the win in Dallas during the regular season.  I asked the people I was watching the game with last night if it was possible to "steal" a home game.  It sure seemed like that's what they did.  Weird game.
Yup

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2008, 12:01:32 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
I'm just content that we won.

Go Celtics!!!

8)
tp for you...thats the best statement ive read today.

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2008, 12:19:53 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Expect every game in this series to be played like last night's. 

Lebron won't be off like that again tomorrow.

The key for the Celtics is going to be Rondo.  If he plays like he played last night then the Cavs are in trouble.  Cleveland's defense is going to take away Allen and Pierce and try to keep Garnett out of the paint.  The cavs are content leaving Rondo (Cassell) and Perkins open and letting them try and win the game.  The PGs for Boston executed last night.....can they do it again?

This reminds me of the Pistons/Cavs series last year.  I still think the Cavs can win in 6

clevlands defense is good, it had nothign to do with 40-50% of the shots pierce and allen missed. And to say its a given that they will double KG and be able to take pierce and ray away at the same time? i find that incredibly hard to belive. Thats 4 guys alotted to 3 people, one of whom will be chasing ray around the line. That leave rondo with no defender and perk with no man to box him  out.

The cavs would be sucicdal to employ that defense on a consistant basis.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2008, 03:13:11 PM »

Offline Hrvoje

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
Chuck: "Cleveland has better bench."

???

Was he referring to the bench that players sit on?

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2008, 03:20:38 PM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
Chuck: "Cleveland has better bench."

???

Was he referring to the bench that players sit on?
Yep, I heard each player has his own leather recliner.

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2008, 03:27:17 PM »

Offline MrsNumba17

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 17
  • I Love NUMBA 17 !
thanks for the TP jay_jay54
"A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals"
~Larry Bird