Author Topic: Winning Ugly  (Read 10511 times)

Winning Ugly
« on: May 06, 2008, 11:00:37 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Don't know about you guys, but that was one ugly game. But hey, a win's a win. I'll take it.

Re: Winning Ugly
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 11:20:26 PM »

Offline maxw318

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
Kinda reminded me of game 3 against the pistons in 2002 (wow i was young then and i sitll remember the game), anytime a team had a lead of over 5 you felt like the game was in the bag

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 11:26:57 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
we wont last long if we keep that ugly style of play...expect james to be ready next game.....

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 11:31:07 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Wow ... this was about the worst game we've played all season ... hard to believe after Sunday's game. The only thing that saved us tonight, is that the Cavs played just as ugly! These Cavs don't scare me as much as Atlanta did ... I really feel like we match up better against this team, and if we run effectively, we can blow these guys out!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 11:32:40 PM »

Offline CelticPride

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 28
I'm actually glad we finally won a close game. All of our previous playoff wins have been blow-outs. It will also be nice if we can get the "road playoff win" monkey off of our backs.

Those who point to James poor shooting night (Is he hurt?) can also point at Pierce's. The Celtics committed a lot of uncharacteristic "nervous" turnovers in the first half. I really think the Celts are deeper and better. Lebron will win them a game or two, but I doubt it will go seven.

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 11:32:48 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Kinda reminded me of game 3 against the pistons in 2002 (wow i was young then and i sitll remember the game), anytime a team had a lead of over 5 you felt like the game was in the bag

I was thinking that throughout the game.  That game was worse, ended in the 60s I'm pretty sure.  The bottom line in the playoffs is getting wins.  Yeah if we keep up this style of play we'll lose.  If Cleveland keeps up that style of play they'll lose too.  The playoffs is all about winning games like this, especially as we make our way through the East.  I'm proud of these guys for pulling out a close one.  I'm very happy for KG.  Posey also showed his why he's here, he's got that ring experience...
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 11:41:43 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Pierce and Allen both had about as bad a game as they can possibly have.  And then Lebron returned the favor.  So the question becomes, if all 3 bounce back to normalcy on Thursday, who benefits the most?  The C's will get back 2 guys scoring 18-20 points, but the Cavs get Lebron scoring 30+ and only turning it over 2 or 3 times.  Which team comes out on top in that scenario?  Wow.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.  But I'm favoring the shamrock themed team.  I dunno. . . call me biased or something.

;)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 11:52:08 PM by MetroGlobe »

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 11:55:48 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
a win is a win is a win.
ohh Old times.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 12:31:24 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Wow ... this was about the worst game we've played all season ... hard to believe after Sunday's game. The only thing that saved us tonight, is that the Cavs played just as ugly! These Cavs don't scare me as much as Atlanta did ... I really feel like we match up better against this team, and if we run effectively, we can blow these guys out!

Offensively.  Maybe.

Defensively.  Possibly the best performance of the season. 

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 12:41:07 AM »

Offline vibaciousb

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
granted lebron may have had his worst performance of the season, i must say that it goes to show just how great this team is if two of your best players combine for 4 points and 10 turnovers and you can still pull out a win. and props to kg for hitting big shots in the clutch

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 12:51:19 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Offensively.  Maybe.

TP wee, my thoughts exactly. Just because we won through defense doesn't make it an "ugly win"

that was what we call a playoff win, and if were going to hang banner 17, we'll need a few more.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 12:58:02 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Offensively.  Maybe.

TP wee, my thoughts exactly. Just because we won through defense doesn't make it an "ugly win"

that was what we call a playoff win, and if were going to hang banner 17, we'll need a few more.

I was referring to the offense only ... I stated so in other threads, and that the defense was great and won this game. Guess I should have made it clearer in each post, though I had assumed we were discussing offense at the time. My bad .... but for the record again: The defense was great!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 01:07:22 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
we wont last long if we keep that ugly style of play...expect james to be ready next game.....

true but i kinda expect pierce and ray to be ready and score more than 4 points combined.

IMO both teams surprised each other with some really excelent defense, and now its time for both teams to use tomorrow to draw up a new plan.

The thing is, i think the cavs options are limited, your going to have to use lebron as the focal point of whatever you do. The celtics, for all the struggles we had on offense tonight, can do alot more things on offense.

We'll see who adjusts better on Thursday.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 01:35:36 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Don't know about you guys, but that was one ugly game. But hey, a win's a win. I'll take it.

An ugly win is beautiful.

Yup

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 01:37:16 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

An ugly win is beautiful.

Redz waked up this late?
at Edgars hours...  :P ;D
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!