Author Topic: River's wants to "expand" his playoff rotation  (Read 11476 times)

Re: River's wants to "expand" his playoff rotation
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2008, 12:23:15 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I don't care how huge Cassell came up, tonight's game only highlighted Doc's rotation issues.

Rondo gets 8 in the 1st quarter, is aggressive and tearing it up in the 1st half, and he only comes in with 2 left in the 4th quarter?

And of course at this point, he's so discombobulated that he's useless out there, and we have to go with Cassell, who actually has a flow.

I don't care if we won this game, it was unnecessarily close, and I questioned Doc's rotations multiple times.

Pierce did not enter until 3:30 left, and Rondo was simply put on ice.
One had the ability to put this game away, and Doc chose to underutilize   his most important starter, his POINT GUARD.

Coming from a coach who was a PG himself, this doesn't sit well with me. As people have said above, there is NO reason Rondo shouldn't be averaging closer to 38-40 mins a game.

The 2nd half rotation was ok.  I might of played Posey a little more then Ray, but Ray's reputation on the floor does open it up more for KG inside. 

Cassell played great down the stretch.  Again, not problem with the offensive defensive rotation with Cassell, Rondo and Tony.

The 2nd quarter on the other hand, not good.  The Celtics played 11 guys and lost a 10 point lead.  I think they went to long without bringing in the only two players creating at that point, Rondo and KG. 

3 big men used off the bench. 

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2008, 12:52:50 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I don't care how huge Cassell came up, tonight's game only highlighted Doc's rotation issues.

Rondo gets 8 in the 1st quarter, is aggressive and tearing it up in the 1st half, and he only comes in with 2 left in the 4th quarter?

And of course at this point, he's so discombobulated that he's useless out there, and we have to go with Cassell, who actually has a flow.

I don't care if we won this game, it was unnecessarily close, and I questioned Doc's rotations multiple times.

Pierce did not enter until 3:30 left, and Rondo was simply put on ice.
One had the ability to put this game away, and Doc chose to underutilize   his most important starter, his POINT GUARD.

Coming from a coach who was a PG himself, this doesn't sit well with me. As people have said above, there is NO reason Rondo shouldn't be averaging closer to 38-40 mins a game.

The 2nd half rotation was ok.  I might of played Posey a little more then Ray, but Ray's reputation on the floor does open it up more for KG inside. 

Cassell played great down the stretch.  Again, not problem with the offensive defensive rotation with Cassell, Rondo and Tony.

The 2nd quarter on the other hand, not good.  The Celtics played 11 guys and lost a 10 point lead.  I think they went to long without bringing in the only two players creating at that point, Rondo and KG. 

3 big men used off the bench. 

I agree with some of both you guys, (TP's), though the ultimate "bottom line" was once again, questionable rotation. There are just so many moments where I'm left wondering what the heck Doc is doing, and he's so inconsistent with using proven strong combinations. The biggest problem I have is that when there is an obvious weakness that the opponent is taking advantage of, Doc fails to make adjustments to correct it, and the same thing happens over and over again. So often I find myself thinking: Didn't he learn from that last time? Didn't he recognize this soft spot before and take actions to strengthen it? I dunno, I really don't enjoy criticizing Doc, but things happen too often to ignore.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2008, 01:16:33 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
As much as I liked Rondo tonight, 4 turnovers for the game (3 in the 3rd), and 0-2 shooting in the 3rd tells me that Doc made the right call. Cassell was shot well, moved the ball decently, and he really won us the game when our team was losing it's offensive spark.

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2008, 01:18:52 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
As much as I liked Rondo tonight, 4 turnovers for the game (3 in the 3rd), and 0-2 shooting in the 3rd tells me that Doc made the right call. Cassell was shot well, moved the ball decently, and he really won us the game when our team was losing it's offensive spark.
yesBud
Rondo is perfect at the beginning, 2nd, 3rd, and only 4th when hes too hot to handle in game
Veteran players win championships
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2008, 09:15:18 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Cassell came close to losing the game for us in the first half. Well, Cassell and Doc for playing him for so long...

After the Cavs went up 5-0, we went on a 25-10 run led by Rondo and Garnett. The Cavs made a run with Rondo out and Cassell in and by the tie Rondo got back in Cleveland had all the momentum.

Cassell doesn't move the ball much beyond dribbling. He had 8 shots and 0 assists. For the playoffs he has 49 shots and 9 assists. Rondo's taken 87 shots and has 57 assists. All of the big 3 are passing more per shot taken than Cassell.

I can see why Doc let Sam play in the 2nd half, but he should have taken Ray out and played Rondo and Cassell.

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2008, 09:50:19 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I think it would be great for Tony Allen to get a few more minutes.  Having a player who can slash to the rim might help even out the FT disparity that the Cs have in all playoff games so far.  I prefer PP guarding LeBron, though (or Posey).  TA should be guarding Wally or Pavlovic.
Celtics fan for life.