Author Topic: River's wants to "expand" his playoff rotation  (Read 11469 times)

Re: River's wants to "expand" his playoff rotation
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2008, 06:47:52 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
The only time that Sam has actually looked effective this year is when he played the 2 along side Rondo. If Wally or Gibson are in the game he won't be able to cheat off his man though because he isn't quick enough to get back and they will kill us with the three. I would  rather see House doing this because House can spread the floor with the three point shot, but will defend these two better. I would like to see Ray play less minutes in the first half so that he can play more in the second where he can still have legs to hit those shots. The way he shoots it makes a big difference.

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 06:51:15 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I generally agree.  I think House deserves some of Ray's minutes (earlier in the game than later) at the two as oppossed to Tony.  I think that would be good for all parties (except TA obviously)

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2008, 06:52:36 PM »

Offline butterbeanlove

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 191
Doc scares me but I love the idea of Baby getting some minutes on Z. He's the only big on this roster who's been able to do an adequate job defensively on him or keep him off the offensive boards.

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2008, 07:00:56 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
The only time that Sam has actually looked effective this year is when he played the 2 along side Rondo. If Wally or Gibson are in the game he won't be able to cheat off his man though because he isn't quick enough to get back and they will kill us with the three. I would  rather see House doing this because House can spread the floor with the three point shot, but will defend these two better. I would like to see Ray play less minutes in the first half so that he can play more in the second where he can still have legs to hit those shots. The way he shoots it makes a big difference.
I totally agree with you here...was thinking close to posting some of the same.Thanks for saving me some of the writing,tp for you and another post i got to give credit(johnnyrondo).

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2008, 07:12:18 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
It'll be easier to play Eddie House in this series. Cleveland are pretty small on the perimeter once you get past Bron and Wally, they use that Gibson/Delonte pairing in the backcourt too. Atlanta had big wings so it was harder for Eddie to get time as the off guard but against Cleveland he could.

It'll be easier but that's only if Doc wants to play him

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2008, 07:24:41 PM »

Offline tanner

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 33
I understand the need to try some players.  I just hope Doc figures out as quickly as possible.

While I thought TA should have been used in the hawks series, I don't think he should be here, unless there's some injury issues with Paul or Ray.  Celtics have to get full 48 of offense at the SG spot.  PJ is worth a look on Z.  

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2008, 07:32:08 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Just not shocked.

After all, Doc was the one that said he wished he could have all 15 players  eligible to play every night.

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2008, 07:36:49 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
Also, I'm not sure that putting Tony on Lebron is such a great idea.  Lebron has at least 4 inches and 30 pounds on Tony, and is better than him in every way.  I'd rather defend Lebron with Pierce and Posey, and keep a player who isn't totally inept on offense in the game.

In the one game Tony played heavy minutes against Lebron this year, the Celtics lost (albeit by one point), Lebron went off, and Tony was -9, with the Celtics getting outscored by the Cavs in every stint that Tony was on the floor.

couldnt agree more with you. frankly tony just makes too many mistakes for my taste. how many times is tony gonna foul a jumpshooter before he learns. and putting him on lebron sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. meanwhile house can match up with their small backcourt and hes been a productive guy off the bench all year.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2008, 07:45:55 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Sam Cassel is good for quick, scoring surges.  The problem is that he also halts the flow of the other players.  Therefore, I really don't mind him out there when we have the 2nd team out there (Leon, PJ, Posey) and when the Big 3 is not feeling.  He comes off the bench and can give us 6-8 minutes in a few minutes from a group that can be in trouble scoring-wise.  However, you don't have him out there when the Big 3 are out there and one of them is getting into the flow.  For example, there were moments when he was out there and Pierce started feeling "it" and instead of passing the rock to Pierce, he'd shoot himself.

I like House, but he's more effective when the Big 3 is out there (resting Rondo but no Cassel to disrupt flow) and when we need some 3 point threat.  I like Tony coming to help out, as long as he doesn't get big minutes.  I haven't really seen Big Baby be really effective out there and be the "energy" guy like he was during the season, but the matchup could be good.  I dont remember how well he faired up against Big Z.  I do think that Leon Powe would be the perfect complement against Varejao.  He can outhustle him, and since Powe is better offensively at drawing fouls, he could use Varejao's energy against him and get him in foul trouble.  PJ might not be such a horrible matchup against Big Z considering that he's not necessarily an athletic big like Horford.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2008, 07:55:44 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Just not shocked.

After all, Doc was the one that said he wished he could have all 15 players  eligible to play every night.

I see many people in this boards wanting the same, yet if Doc were to do it they criticize him. Weren't people here screaming for Tony Allen for defensive purposes in some situations in the last series? Doc is considering it, and you guys going to drag him through the mud for it?  I've seen plenty of posts wanting Baby on Z, and now that Doc mentions it, he's an idiot?

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2008, 08:08:30 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
kool...scal might get sum floor time..

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2008, 08:14:27 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Just not shocked.

I see many people in this boards wanting the same, yet if Doc were to do it they criticize him. Weren't people here screaming for Tony Allen for defensive purposes in some situations in the last series? Doc is considering it, and you guys going to drag him through the mud for it?  I've seen plenty of posts wanting Baby on Z, and now that Doc mentions it, he's an idiot?

Yet I didn't call him an idiot. 

Nor was I the one screaming for them to use all the bench players. 

All I said I wasn't shocked because of something he has said in the past. 

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2008, 08:31:11 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Just not shocked.

Yet I didn't call him an idiot. 

Nor was I the one screaming for them to use all the bench players. 

All I said I wasn't shocked because of something he has said in the past. 

Well, I assumed you alluded as much (the idiot part).  If I was mistaken, so be it, but I wouldn't have been surprised if that's how you felt about the situation.  Also, I wasn't replying to you specifically, I was addressing the board in general and your post simply was the one the best represented what I wanted to address.  Just because I quoted you, it doesn't mean I'm really replying to you...

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2008, 09:30:19 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
And yet, still no Eddie House, despite him being one of our best bench players all year long.

Personally House was a part of what made our team the 66 win team it was. Giving his minutes to Cassell I believe has changed our flow. I would rather see House get the backup pg mins and Cassell sit. Cassell would be an insurance policy only. He would be used if either Rondo or House got hurt or if in a particular game, House was having trouble with full court pressure.
Can't be said any better than this!  When rondo is out the flow is completely changed because sam is looking for his shot first & foremost.  Eddie moves the ball and hits 3's

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2008, 12:19:36 AM »

Offline newyorkceltics

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
I don't care how huge Cassell came up, tonight's game only highlighted Doc's rotation issues.

Rondo gets 8 in the 1st quarter, is aggressive and tearing it up in the 1st half, and he only comes in with 2 left in the 4th quarter?

And of course at this point, he's so discombobulated that he's useless out there, and we have to go with Cassell, who actually has a flow.

I don't care if we won this game, it was unnecessarily close, and I questioned Doc's rotations multiple times.

Pierce did not enter until 3:30 left, and Rondo was simply put on ice.
One had the ability to put this game away, and Doc chose to underutilize   his most important starter, his POINT GUARD.

Coming from a coach who was a PG himself, this doesn't sit well with me. As people have said above, there is NO reason Rondo shouldn't be averaging closer to 38-40 mins a game.
"No, man, this is better than the ambulance. It's Scal."