Author Topic: River's wants to "expand" his playoff rotation  (Read 11463 times)

River's wants to "expand" his playoff rotation
« on: May 06, 2008, 05:36:25 PM »

Offline newyorkceltics

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/05/06/this_wasnt_a_trash_day/?page=2

"Rotator buff
Rivers said he might expand his playoff rotation for the Cleveland series. The prime candidates to play more would be guard Tony Allen and forward Glen "Big Baby" Davis. "Tony Allen has not played, but he's a guy that if someone is going to play, he could be a guy added into this series because of LeBron," said Rivers. "Honestly, Baby could be added to this series too because for whatever reason he's done a good job on [Zydrunas] Ilgauskas. I wouldn't be shocked to see either one of those guys."

Wow, this from the guy who played all 12 guys the last series. How do you EXPAND your "playoff rotation" from using all 12 guys in one game?

Not to mention I find it laughable that Doc is even using the phrase "playoff rotation" when he's exhibited zero evidence that he knows what that is.

Are we going to see Scalabrine sightings? Perhaps Doc will be able to get Danny Ainge suited up.

I hate to be a negative nancy hours before tip-off, but SERIOUSLY?

More rotational madness? Get ready to get ****ed off and flabbergasted as  players shuffle in and out like...like Glenn Doc Rivers coaching a baskebtall game.

EDIT: Note I'm not saying it's an entirely BAD thing to be playing Tony Allen (to throw at Lebron) and BBD (whom I'm a huge fan of).

It's just pretty well established that yanking minutes around doesn't help anyone...and dividing those minutes amongst more and more players is even worse.
"No, man, this is better than the ambulance. It's Scal."

Re: River's wants to "expand" his playoff rotation
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 05:39:53 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
well one would hope that by expand the roster he means play different people. for instance, PJ brown is alot less useful this series because Z doesn't post up much, so those could be baby's minutes.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 05:46:30 PM »

Offline Amir

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 48
Hahahah this man is a joke. (Although it didnt hurt us in game 7).

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 05:56:53 PM »

Offline EnP24

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 9
While I'm not a huge fan of Doc's coaching and think he leaves a lot to be desired all he said was that due to TA's defensive presence and BBD's ability to match well again Z that he may use these two players.

There are a lot of better things to go off on Doc about than this. This, in fact, is one of the better things he has thought up thus far in the playoffs.

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 05:57:29 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
And yet, still no Eddie House, despite him being one of our best bench players all year long.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 06:01:50 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
And yet, still no Eddie House, despite him being one of our best bench players all year long.

yea, my one rotation question so far, or should i say biggest, is why does ray allen play 44+ minutes a game yet rondo can't play 30?

like to see ray get spelled for 4-6 minutes by eddie some games, save him for later rounds, and like to see rondo play 38+ like a 21 year old who has a 10-1 TO ratio in the playoffs should...
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 06:04:19 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Also, I'm not sure that putting Tony on Lebron is such a great idea.  Lebron has at least 4 inches and 30 pounds on Tony, and is better than him in every way.  I'd rather defend Lebron with Pierce and Posey, and keep a player who isn't totally inept on offense in the game.

In the one game Tony played heavy minutes against Lebron this year, the Celtics lost (albeit by one point), Lebron went off, and Tony was -9, with the Celtics getting outscored by the Cavs in every stint that Tony was on the floor.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 06:05:46 PM »

Offline green tea

• The Green Kornet
While I'm not a huge fan of Doc's coaching and think he leaves a lot to be desired all he said was that due to TA's defensive presence and BBD's ability to match well again Z that he may use these two players.

There are a lot of better things to go off on Doc about than this. This, in fact, is one of the better things he has thought up thus far in the playoffs.

I concur.  Of all things to get mad at Doc about, this is not one of them.  I like that Doc is thinking about the matchup, instead of mindlessly thinking "OK, I've rested my big 3 all year...now I can play them 40 minutes a night in the playoffs!"  

Fact is, Davis HAS played well against Z...and we will need to apply some pressure to Lebron with someone other than Pierce (who will need to step it up offensively).  So Tony Allen makes sense.  

We just have to pray that Tony doesn't kill us with bad decisions.

I'd like House to get some time as well.  He deserves it.  But I think Sam provides a little more offensive versatility than Eddie...so once again, Eddie might be the odd man out in this series.

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 06:06:27 PM »

Offline newyorkceltics

• Payton Pritchard
Again, I'm not complaining about specifically putting in TA and BBD. There's a specific difference between 'expanding' the rotation and changing the rotation.

If you're switching the rotations for this series specifically (i.e. no PJ whatsoEVER), and working with a 8 to 9 man rotation, fine.
I won't go into the fact that most teams do stick with a set rotation and keep it throughout the playoffs, and that players tend to be better with set minutes and roles.

Speaking of Eddie House, its funny that acquiring Sam Cassell (universally hailed prior to his signing as our backup PG saviour) made us all appreciate the dimunitive gunner more. The grass is always greener on the other side, I guess. For my money, it's sad that Eddie's not in the rotation, but I'm happy we have both at least. Danny would be getting destroyed if he hadn't had a "big" backup PG for match up purposes.

P.S. from MaineBleedsGreen: I like this: "I wouldn't be shocked to see either of them play" ... um doc, isn't it up to you?

"No, man, this is better than the ambulance. It's Scal."

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 06:12:03 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  I like that Doc is thinking about the matchup, instead of mindlessly thinking "OK, I've rested my big 3 all year...now I can play them 40 minutes a night in the playoffs!" 

I disagree.  There is nothing mindless about playing your best players 40+ minutes in the playoffs.

Tim Duncan is playing 40 minutes.  Chris Paul is playing 40 minutes.  Kobe is playing 40 minutes.

There's no reason our players can't handle it.  It's what happens in the playoffs, and it's what *should* happen.  Our best players should be playing, rather than the end of our bench.

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 06:24:14 PM »

Offline green tea

• The Green Kornet
  I like that Doc is thinking about the matchup, instead of mindlessly thinking "OK, I've rested my big 3 all year...now I can play them 40 minutes a night in the playoffs!" 

I disagree.  There is nothing mindless about playing your best players 40+ minutes in the playoffs.

Tim Duncan is playing 40 minutes.  Chris Paul is playing 40 minutes.  Kobe is playing 40 minutes.

There's no reason our players can't handle it.  It's what happens in the playoffs, and it's what *should* happen.  Our best players should be playing, rather than the end of our bench.

I have no problem with the best guys playing 40 minutes if it's absolutely necessary and will maximize our winning chances...but in the first round series against Atlanta, nothing about the game screamed that not giving 40 minutes to Ray, PP and KG was why we lost. 

In all 3 of our playoff losses, our big 3 played the most minutes.  Playing the starting 3 more minutes didn't help us win.  It came down to lack of poise/execution in our losses (quite a bit of it, on the part of the big 3).  In all 4 of our wins, they played significantly fewer minutes and the bench helped big time.

We have plenty of horses in our stables and our team is built on depth.  I believe we should take advantage of it. 

PS - I'm ok with using TA...but he scares the living crap out of me!!   ;D

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 06:38:21 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245

Personally House was a part of what made our team the 66 win team it was. Giving his minutes to Cassell I believe has changed our flow. I would rather see House get the backup pg mins and Cassell sit. Cassell would be an insurance policy only. He would be used if either Rondo or House got hurt or if in a particular game, House was having trouble with full court pressure.

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 06:39:30 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
how about the 2 close losses where rondo played 28 minutes and KG only played 32 in game 6? were those meaningless games against atlanta?

Unless they are in foul trouble or your up 30 with 6 minutes to go, your superstars should be playing as many minutes as possible in the playoffs, period.

at the PG position in particular, this is not happening. When sam got here for the playoffs, I and i think a majority assumed it was to play backup to a rajon rondo who would play close to 40 a night if his play ditctated it. considering in the series he had a 10-1 turnover ratio and consitantly destroyed mike bibby, Sam cassells minutes (13?!?! a night average) are ridiculous. The kid is 21 and preforming well, you can't tell me an average of 30.2 a Game is acceptable.

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 06:41:31 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
" Honestley, Baby could be added to this series too because for whatever reason he's done a good job on Ilgauskas" Doc

That just makes me wamr and fuzzy. Doc makes it sound like he doesn't even know why BBD has done well agaisnt Z. Probably just the way the quote came out, don't say that twice Doc!

BBD and Tony have some credentials to be in this series. If Tony's playing we're going to see some small ball with Posey at the four, not delighted with that considering the Cavs rebounding strength. I can't remember any PJ Brown matchups with Z in the past, maybe he still offers more than BBD but BDD has done more against Cleveland than Powe. Davis' done the best job on the team of forcing Iguasksas out of the paint and off the boards.

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 06:42:16 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Personally House was a part of what made our team the 66 win team it was. Giving his minutes to Cassell I believe has changed our flow. I would rather see House get the backup pg mins and Cassell sit. Cassell would be an insurance policy only. He would be used if either Rondo or House got hurt or if in a particular game, House was having trouble with full court pressure.

I don't mind sam getting the point guard minutes, my problem is that he gets so many. my question is why is ray, the only one of the big 3 to show any signs of slowing down with age during the year (slight nagging injury's, slumping fg% when he was overplayed) playing 42+ minutes a night, even in blowouts?

Considering rondo can't buy time on the floor, why not use eddie back up his natural position once in awhile?