Author Topic: Grand Theft Auto 4  (Read 11071 times)

Grand Theft Auto 4
« on: May 05, 2008, 10:37:30 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Has anyone played this yet?
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: Grand Theft Auto 4
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 10:39:09 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i havent played it yet, but my buddy has it and says it is the best one yet.

is the game available for psp?

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 10:51:45 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
I've got it. It's unbelievably realistic and really fun to play.

The driving is almost too real sometimes, you can't whip around like you could in vice and san andreas. Also for some reason when you have your cell phone out you can't run, you have to put it away first.

Other than that the game is a blast. Def worth buying.

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 01:25:30 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.

The driving is almost too real sometimes, you can't whip around like you could in vice and san andreas. Also for some reason when you have your cell phone out you can't run, you have to put it away first.

Yeah I've heard bad things about the driving physics, almost like the streets are greased up.  Are there many racing missions?  That would drive me insane.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 01:29:20 AM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
Just bought it a few hrs ago, I'm going to miss you guys over the next month cause I'm not going to put it down.

The only flaws with the game are minor, I'm ecstatic with it.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 07:49:22 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Just bought it a few hrs ago, I'm going to miss you guys over the next month cause I'm not going to put it down.

The only flaws with the game are minor, I'm ecstatic with it.

I had 18 hours down and 1 sick day from work before thursday last week...and Im not that guy. The storyline is just flat out awesome. Like a movie. To answer your question Champ, no there aren't many racing missions at all. The fuzz are a pain though, good luck wreaking havoc, once you get the chopper after you its gonna take some serious JJ Abrams tactics to shake them. I had to take my car off of a cliff, bail on the ground and take tree cover...then find ANOTHER car about 2 blocks away and drive kinda sneaky like to shake my 4 stars.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 08:36:07 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57

Yeah I've heard bad things about the driving physics, almost like the streets are greased up.  Are there many racing missions?  That would drive me insane.

Driving is a lot tougher, but I think it's part of the added realism of the game...in real life can you pull off a 90 degree hairpin turn at 120 mph?  :P  It is easier to lose control of the vehicle, especially if you are driving a lousy car.

So far I have had one racing mission ("No. 1" is the title of it), but it was not too bad at all... beat it on the first try.  Once you get the hang of turning and using the handbrake it gets a little easier.

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 08:46:05 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I was sick yesterday so I decided to stay in and play the game starting at around 7 AM... Then someone IM'ed me while I was playing at like 5 PM and I realized I had been playing for 10 hours straight after I thought it had only been like 2 or 3 at most... Then I started to feel really bad about myself. haha

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 09:56:35 AM »

Offline evanernest

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
I bought a PS3 specifically to buy this game and I don't miss my 500 bucks.

The in-vehicle stuff is pretty much unchanged (I haven't had a problem with the physics; sports cars handle fine), except you can fire in all directions.  Plus, no more planes (too much 9/11 potential I guess).

But the on foot stuff is upgraded beyond belief.  The aiming, the pedestrians, the world around you, the side missions and mini games are all lightyears beyond San Andreas.  Probably gonna play this every night until Metal Gear Solid 4 comes out, then switch to that.

But yeah, a must have.

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 10:05:41 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I bought a PS3 specifically to buy this game and I don't miss my 500 bucks.

The in-vehicle stuff is pretty much unchanged (I haven't had a problem with the physics; sports cars handle fine), except you can fire in all directions.  Plus, no more planes (too much 9/11 potential I guess).

But the on foot stuff is upgraded beyond belief.  The aiming, the pedestrians, the world around you, the side missions and mini games are all lightyears beyond San Andreas.  Probably gonna play this every night until Metal Gear Solid 4 comes out, then switch to that.

But yeah, a must have.

It almost made me sad, because the game is so awesome that Call of Duty 4 is going to start gathering dust...and I was just getting really, really good at that.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 10:08:02 AM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
I'm not gonna lie I called in sick the morning it came out.  I played for about 10 straight hours and it was a life-changing experience. ;D  At the eleventh hour my 360 broke.  I sent it in for a free repair but unfortunately there will be no GTA for me for about 3 weeks. 

But the game is amazing.  The graphics are crazy and the explosions are the craziest.  The driving is pretty good too as is the story.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 10:36:12 AM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
I didn't get it since I have finals for the next few weeks and I don't feel like failing out. However, I plan to get it for the summer, is anyone getting dizzy from playing it? I can't play Ratchet and Clank for more than 30 minutes without getting dizzy, so I'm a bit worried about dropping $60 on something that's going to collect dust.

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 10:39:15 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am still waiting for the next price drop in the 360. 

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 10:57:58 AM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
I didn't get it since I have finals for the next few weeks and I don't feel like failing out. However, I plan to get it for the summer, is anyone getting dizzy from playing it? I can't play Ratchet and Clank for more than 30 minutes without getting dizzy, so I'm a bit worried about dropping $60 on something that's going to collect dust.

You might want to go out and kill a few people after playing it.  Or steal some cars.  But I never got dizzy.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 11:04:14 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Can I ask a question about this type of game?  I kind of fell off the map of video games after Nintendo 64 (and I pretty much played the Golf & Techmo Bowl on there). 

Having seen the commercials for this game (and ones like it), I'm a bit surprised by the amount of dialog the characters have.  It seems like there is a "plot" to the story of the game you are playing. I guess my question is how adaptive is the dialog to the actions you choose to take?  Does the "plot" rule the action or does action rule the plot? 

Not sure if that makes sense, but my impression from the commercial is that you must be stuck within certain guidelines that will prompt certain results. How free are you to do whatever you want?
Yup