Author Topic: What game is stuck in your console/pc right now?  (Read 172655 times)

Re: What game is stuck in your console/pc right now?
« Reply #345 on: April 21, 2024, 11:46:20 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
Played Hades a while back too. It's a tough roguelike isometric action RPG. The story and voice acting are great. You play as the son of Hades and are trying to escape Hell while your father tries to stop you. The gods of Olympus aid your journey with various special abilities.

So every time you die you resurrect in the River Styx and restart at the beginning of the game. And you father mocks you for your failure. Narratively the death/rebirth cycle of a roguelike works perfectly with the Greek Mythology theme. You also retain some of your powers and money after each run, getting stronger. I was pretty psyched when I finally took Hades down. He is really tough.

Also played Serious Sam 4. An absolutely insanely action-packed FPS with dozens of enemies on-screen at once. I thought it was great, though many folks have had performance issues. You need a newer CPU to run this well.

But boy, is it fun unloading dozens of rockets into a massive horde of wacky aliens. 

« Reply #346 on: April 21, 2024, 12:06:50 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
....And Sons of the Forest. Amazing survival FPS with a pretty deep crafting/building system. You're dropped off onto a gorgeous, photorealistic island with nothing but an axe and a bunch of cannibals and mutants to cohabitate with. Truly one of the scariest games ever made.

Also played the 2018 God of War. I have mixed feelings about this one. The story is great. Production values and voice-acting are top-notch. But the difficulty is unbalanced. It is kind of a  hack'n slash like the old games, but wants to be Dark Souls a little bit too. Like your character moves like they have weight to them, and physics really apply. When you attack you are committing and exposing yourself. You don't feel like a superhero in this game. And yet regular difficulty is a bit dull. Just a little too easy. But hard mode is brutally difficult - maybe harder than Dark Souls - until you really figure out the nonsensical armor system.

Part of the problem is that they shoehorned in all sorts of RPG mechanics which don't actually do much. Your build isn't that important so long as you stay on the same or higher level as your enemies. What is important is spamming as many runic (magic) attacks as you can and then waiting for your cooldown to expire. Your regular axe attacks just feel weak and underpowered unless you're several levels above your opponents. It's like your body has weight, but your massive axe does not. It just doesn't make sense. And the camera is too freaking low and close. It's very hard to gauge what you enemies are doing, which is not good in a game like this.

IMO they really botched the difficulty settings here. I probably should have stuck to regular difficulty mode. Hard mode is a slog. But regular mode just seemed too easy for a game that is trying so hard to be Dark Souls. I dunno. Most people loved it. I think it's worth playing. But I wish they'd have committed to a direction for the gameplay. Either keep the enemies tough and buff up the melee or give the player a broader build for magic that doesn't just feel like cheesing a few moves.

« Reply #347 on: April 21, 2024, 04:25:48 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
....And Sons of the Forest. Amazing survival FPS with a pretty deep crafting/building system. You're dropped off onto a gorgeous, photorealistic island with nothing but an axe and a bunch of cannibals and mutants to cohabitate with. Truly one of the scariest games ever made.

I played the original Forest for a little bit and those cannibals were creepy and scary enough, but when I first encountered some mutants I was absolutely disgusted and terrified  ;D

I´m just about to finish the second DLC of Control (2019). What an amazing game, the gameplay is so smooth and I just love the Twin Peaks type of weirdness and mid century modern/brutalist vibe. I´ve always loved Remedy, but Alan Wake was such a chore to play so I just basically ignored them since.

Control fixes every single thing I hated in Alan Wake and it´s just so fun to play. My favorite game since Red Dead Redemption 2.

« Reply #348 on: April 21, 2024, 07:53:20 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo

I played the original Forest for a little bit and those cannibals were creepy and scary enough, but when I first encountered some mutants I was absolutely disgusted and terrified  ;D

I´m just about to finish the second DLC of Control (2019). What an amazing game, the gameplay is so smooth and I just love the Twin Peaks type of weirdness and mid century modern/brutalist vibe. I´ve always loved Remedy, but Alan Wake was such a chore to play so I just basically ignored them since.

Control fixes every single thing I hated in Alan Wake and it´s just so fun to play. My favorite game since Red Dead Redemption 2.

Yeah "Control" is good. Really engaging vibe that reminds me a bit of a modern Half-life. And flinging large objects around with telekinesis never gets old.

I just wish they had introduced some of the game mechanics earlier. A lot of the coolest abilities come so late in the game you don't get much time to use them.

« Reply #349 on: April 21, 2024, 09:49:17 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Played Hades a while back too. It's a tough roguelike isometric action RPG. The story and voice acting are great. You play as the son of Hades and are trying to escape Hell while your father tries to stop you. The gods of Olympus aid your journey with various special abilities.

So every time you die you resurrect in the River Styx and restart at the beginning of the game. And you father mocks you for your failure. Narratively the death/rebirth cycle of a roguelike works perfectly with the Greek Mythology theme. You also retain some of your powers and money after each run, getting stronger. I was pretty psyched when I finally took Hades down. He is really tough.

Also played Serious Sam 4. An absolutely insanely action-packed FPS with dozens of enemies on-screen at once. I thought it was great, though many folks have had performance issues. You need a newer CPU to run this well.

But boy, is it fun unloading dozens of rockets into a massive horde of wacky aliens.

I read the other day that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Splintered Fate is quite good and it's Hades-like.

« Reply #350 on: Yesterday at 01:12:25 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo

I read the other day that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Splintered Fate is quite good and it's Hades-like.

Definitely looks really similar. But it's on Apple Arcade? What's the deal with thst?

« Reply #351 on: Yesterday at 02:24:29 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
For the last few months, it has been Ghost of Tsushima.  I got to it a little late, but it's a phenomenal game.

« Reply #352 on: Yesterday at 06:59:14 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Just finished Baldurs Gate 3, loved it. Quite possibly the best game I played last year, and in the last few years. So many different ways to play it, I had two playthroughs, one as a goody-goody, another as a Dark Urge character, and that was a lot of fun. Sons of the Forest sounds interesting!
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D