Author Topic: I'd Like to See Dwane Casey Get Another Head Coaching Job  (Read 3192 times)

I'd Like to See Dwane Casey Get Another Head Coaching Job
« on: May 05, 2008, 06:14:14 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
He did what proved to be a fantastic job with the Wolves in 2005-2006, going 20-20 before being fired from a team that would finish 12-30 afterwards under Randy Whittman.

He believed in and preached defense as the way to win basketball games, but unfortunately 3 of his starters (Ricky Davis, Mark Blount, and Mike James) are/were only concerned with when their next shot was coming.

I think he could do a great job with a team of players that are willing to make the necessary effort on defense.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 07:27:34 PM by Big Ticket »

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

Re: I'd Like to See Dwayne Casey Get Another Head Coaching Job
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 07:06:56 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I don't think he's going to get another shot now. He's going to have to go back and be an assistant coach for a top team to try and regain some of that GM attention/media praise. He can get another shot but I think he'll have to do something to earn it. There's just too many other attractive candidates. I haven't heard any story in the media since he was fired where he was at the top end of the shortlist, honorable mentions don't get jobs.

I've always thought he was a quality coach and a promising head coach. Hopefully he'll get another shot, it's never nice to see someone's one shot at something be unfairly taken away from them. Good luck to the man.

I'm still not sure what to make of him overall as a head coach, I would like to see more to make up my mind.

Re: I'd Like to See Dwane Casey Get Another Head Coaching Job
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 07:27:16 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
I haven't heard any story in the media since he was fired where he was at the top end of the shortlist, honorable mentions don't get jobs.

I haven't either, I've hardly heard his name mentioned at all.  And it surprises me.... it seems pretty clear that he did a good job in the short time he was given.  As far as I know he is currently looking for work as an assistant.  Geez, what's a guy gotta do?

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 07:31:29 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I agree that he did a good job with the Wolves. Always thought he was unjustly fired. Whitman on the other hand is a horrible coach but he'll have a job as long as McHale is a gm.

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 07:44:35 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I haven't heard any story in the media since he was fired where he was at the top end of the shortlist, honorable mentions don't get jobs.

I haven't either, I've hardly heard his name mentioned at all.  And it surprises me.... it seems pretty clear that he did a good job in the short time he was given.  As far as I know he is currently looking for work as an assistant.  Geez, what's a guy gotta do?
Do you know what he's been up to this season? I have no idea

Nate McMillan offered him a job in Portland last summer on his bench. Casey turned that down. I'd guess it's a standing offer considering their relationship. It made sense for Casey last summer, quick return, keep his name in NBA circles. But I don't think it makes any sense for him now, he needs to re-define himself to get people's attention which means he has to re-establish his reputation working for someone new, not his old Boss.

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 12:02:15 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 12:07:03 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I would like to see him get one of the open coaching slots so that there won't be any left for tom thibedue (sp?) when win win the title.