Author Topic: KG Gesture.  (Read 18635 times)

Re: KG Gesture.
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2008, 08:14:25 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Gesture, schmesture ... I'm really a bit sick of the whole topic, no matter who the focus is ... sorry.

TP....couldnt agree more!

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2008, 08:21:44 PM »

Offline Andrew Celtic Nation

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 105
I saw a better view multiple times and he actually didn't slash his throat. He reached across his chest to grab his jersey and pull it away to point to his heart. So, he will not be getting fined unless a mistaken AP reporter is enough for the league.

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2008, 09:08:37 PM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
remember when it used to be ok to be passionate as an NBA player and show a little tude? those were the days.

Can you imagine the 80's and 90's teams with the ridiculous "everyone play nice" standereds now?

I hate the PC'ing up of sports. Any passions is immdeaitly called out by the national media because it hurt your opponent's feelings. These are grown men, they'll be ok. This is just like the ridculous "the patriots are mean because they run up the score" stories. If you don't like them running it up on you, here's a thought, show some pride and do your job on the field.

imagine those piston-Celtics wars with today's media. no way they would have been allowed to reach the heights they did, stern would have fined and suspended both starting 5's after game 2.

between the No fun league and the NBA, any kinda of non-robot responses are now frowned upon. I have no problem with what KG did. ohhh a scary throat slash gesture! hide the women and children!

/rant off.

I really didn't see, nor do I care about what KG did or didn't do. I love the statement you just made. After game 6 when PP was given a tech for throwing his headband Tanquay made the statement that the league needs to give the refs some latitude in making this type of call. The ref had to make the call because it's the rule, but that call should never have been made. These guys are human. PP fouled out on a non foul. What was he supposed to do. Doc said today about Marvin Williams being tossed that it  was a shame, but it had to be done because it was the rule. It was definitely a flagrant 2 foul, but he's not that type of player. Even Rondo understood it was about trying to make a play. Williams could maybe be accused of poor judgment, but I definitely don't think he was trying to hurt Rondo. The refs need to have some latitude in making these call.s

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2008, 09:48:44 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I sure hope that he didn't make this throat slashing gesture, so it's good to hear that there is a possibility that didn't happen.

It amazes me that you guys can sit there and say that this doesn't matter, and that this league is turning into a bunch of sissies. There is NOTHING manly about making a gesture that you are slashing someone's throat and executing them. There is no place for that anywhere let alone on TV where my and your impressionable kids can see this. All of these kids out there playing ball mimic these players and all that can do is create a horrible situation in college and high school and I am sure even middle school games. This could result in an escalation of hostilities that is not needed in these games at these younger levels. Think about what you are saying! You probably thought Sam's testical dance was appropriate behavior as well. If you can't show emotion without making signs like this then you are pretty low class and ignorant. It is just like the person that uses the F word every other word because they aren't smart enough to communicate using decent vocabulary. Have a little class. Fist pump, or scream, or high five your teammates, but that is absolutely horrible.

You are free to think and act how you want, but I would expect more from Celtic fans. You'd think we were Sixers or NY fans or something!

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2008, 09:51:01 PM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
it's better be over after dang 7 games !!!

And because of that, they have no chance against the Cavs, if they somehow win in 7 against them, certainly they have no chance against the Pistons.  If somehow they manage to pull off that upset, obviously they have no chance in the Finals.  It is clear that the disgrace of having to go 7 games against the lowly Hawks has made our chances of advancing almost zero, just ask Bob Ryan.

Another myth "The Celtics HAVE to win on the road to be able to advance".  Only if they lose at home is this true, there are no extra wins awarded for the intangible of winning on the road.  If the Celts defend home court, they never HAVE to win on the road, let's wait until the 1st loss at the Garden, if it ever happens, before we start saying they HAVE to win on the road, only then will that be factually true.

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2008, 10:21:36 PM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
I sure hope that he didn't make this throat slashing gesture, so it's good to hear that there is a possibility that didn't happen.

It amazes me that you guys can sit there and say that this doesn't matter, and that this league is turning into a bunch of sissies. There is NOTHING manly about making a gesture that you are slashing someone's throat and executing them. There is no place for that anywhere let alone on TV where my and your impressionable kids can see this. All of these kids out there playing ball mimic these players and all that can do is create a horrible situation in college and high school and I am sure even middle school games. This could result in an escalation of hostilities that is not needed in these games at these younger levels. Think about what you are saying! You probably thought Sam's testical dance was appropriate behavior as well. If you can't show emotion without making signs like this then you are pretty low class and ignorant. It is just like the person that uses the F word every other word because they aren't smart enough to communicate using decent vocabulary. Have a little class. Fist pump, or scream, or high five your teammates, but that is absolutely horrible.

You are free to think and act how you want, but I would expect more from Celtic fans. You'd think we were Sixers or NY fans or something!

You need to relax a bit on this one, people are saying that they are making way too much over the ultimate significance of gestures, whatever they are.  The whole "it will influence the kids" argument is old, tired and weak, as if kids have no clue that NBA players are human, and don't understand that not everything they do should be emulated.  Taught properly, kids can easily distinguish what is acceptable behavior from what is not, they do not just blindly do whatever their heroes do with no regard to whether it is right or wrong. 

Besides, it is not at all clear that KG did the throat slashing thing, I have never heard of him doing that before, and I doubt that slitting the Hawks' throats is anything he was insinuating.  It is absolutely irresponsible journalism to report he did that as a fact, anyone who didn't see the game now thinks this about KG, no matter what eventually comes out.  And since so many are saying they didn't get a clear look, it is even less likely any of the innocent babes were subjected to this cruel act perpetrated on them by one of their idols.

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2008, 10:43:52 PM »

Offline Smitty

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 11
Fact of the matter, our NBA is so out of touch with reality, that they will likely fine KG as much as they do Marvin Williams for potentially ending a young kid's career.  Political correctness completely OUT of CONTROL:-(((

I am so SICK of this bull.

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2008, 10:46:20 PM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
remember when it used to be ok to be passionate as an NBA player and show a little tude? those were the days.

Can you imagine the 80's and 90's teams with the ridiculous "everyone play nice" standereds now?

I hate the PC'ing up of sports. Any passions is immdeaitly called out by the national media because it hurt your opponent's feelings. These are grown men, they'll be ok. This is just like the ridculous "the patriots are mean because they run up the score" stories. If you don't like them running it up on you, here's a thought, show some pride and do your job on the field.

imagine those piston-Celtics wars with today's media. no way they would have been allowed to reach the heights they did, stern would have fined and suspended both starting 5's after game 2.

between the No fun league and the NBA, any kinda of non-robot responses are now frowned upon. I have no problem with what KG did. ohhh a scary throat slash gesture! hide the women and children!

/rant off.

another TP for you man, can't agree more. This game is built upon passion, will and toughness, you can't take these things away and expect the game to be still the way it was. And anyway, altough I didn't see it, but from what AndrewCN said, I think I would agree with him knowing KG's personality (think back his response about Glen Taylor saying he tanked), the whole media just overhypes stuff.

Update:
In fact, here is a video from ESPN.com, clearly showing it was not a throat slashing sign:
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3381018&categoryId=2459788
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 11:05:57 PM by kw10 »
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2008, 11:17:04 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
it wasnt a throat slashing...............but just for the record, KG does a throat slashing every game during the intro (season ticket holder).  its usually not shown on t.v. (because i watch most games again when i get home) because they dont show the intros on tv.

if you check today's broadcast, you will clearly see him doing it during the intro.....(immediately following his hand slapping with eddie)

personally.......i have no problem with it

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2008, 12:08:40 AM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63

/rant off.

another TP for you man, can't agree more. This game is built upon passion, will and toughness, you can't take these things away and expect the game to be still the way it was. And anyway, altough I didn't see it, but from what AndrewCN said, I think I would agree with him knowing KG's personality (think back his response about Glen Taylor saying he tanked), the whole media just overhypes stuff.

Update:
In fact, here is a video from ESPN.com, clearly showing it was not a throat slashing sign:
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3381018&categoryId=2459788

not only does he not slash his throat but he clearly says "that's heart," after he pulls his jersey to show his heart.  I hope nobody would be too upset if their kid did that. (there might be a mf'r thrown in there too, but seriously these are grown men out there.)

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2008, 12:41:03 AM »

Offline BoundingRounder

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • "Angels fly 'cause they take themselves lightly"
I can't wait till they have BBs enough to give that sign with a, say, 10 point lead...Hah!... ;D
"I am shocked to discover that over 90% of our imports come from outside America!."  George Bush

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2008, 02:42:11 AM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
  • And the Truth shall set you free
Pls. no personal attacks
feel free to refrase ur point without PA.
Thanks

Eddgar
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 11:57:07 AM by Edgar »

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 04:23:27 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"

And because of that, they have no chance against the Cavs, if they somehow win in 7 against them, certainly they have no chance against the Pistons.  If somehow they manage to pull off that upset, obviously they have no chance in the Finals.  It is clear that the disgrace of having to go 7 games against the lowly Hawks has made our chances of advancing almost zero, just ask Bob Ryan.

wow. way to quit on your team.

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2008, 06:43:16 AM »

Offline stanthompsonismyhero

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 53
  • The Boston Three Party!

wow. way to quit on your team.
Big Bob Ryan quit on the C's?  Does anyone have a link to this?  What is the fascination, if it is true, with LBJ?
Curt Schilling: "It's a stupid idiotic comment to make."

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2008, 07:06:16 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
More politically correct nonsense from the league. Announcers say "kill" all the time with regards to other teams. We all know it means "kill" as in defeat easily so the throat slashing gesture is just a natural extension of that.

People ARE intelligent enough to know that "throat slash" doesn't mean KG actually wants to KILL the opposing players. It's just an association from the common sports phrases and the common comparison of sports and war.

So now we are punishing people for making common associations via gestures. It's just stupid.

Pete