Author Topic: It's time to give Atlanata some credit.  (Read 2241 times)

It's time to give Atlanata some credit.
« on: May 04, 2008, 11:44:05 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
For the last two weeks the Celtics have taken us all through a rollercoaster ride called the first round of the NBA playoffs that would rival any coaster at Busch Gardens or Six Flags. We were all expecting a quick two stop ride on the Orange line and instead have been brought to the brink with the climax beginning today at 1:00.

Three blowouts at the Garden and three fairly to very close losses at Phillips Arena. As one perused through Celticsblog over the last two weeks the blame for this going to 7 games has ranged from bad officiating to shot clock malfunctions to horrible coaching to lackluster performances from the Celtics. But when are we as Celtic fans going to give the Atlanta Hawks some much deserved kudos for what they have done against Team Green for the three games in Atlanta.

The Hawks crowd is a bunch of bandwagoners, most probably didn't know they existed before the Hawks decided to play decently enough at the end of the season to qualify for the postseason. But their PA announcer has succeeded in turning this crowd of come-laters into a frenzied force that this young Hawks team has fed off of. The difference between the team that shows up with their raucous crowd behind them and the one that mails it in in Boston is unbelievably remarkable.

The stats per game:

FGA_M       %     #FGA-M       %     FTA-M     %      REB     AST     STL    BLK       TO    PTS     

AWAY      26.7-68.3  .39     2.3-7.3  .31     25.3-32.3    .78     34.6     14       4.6       5.3        16.3      81
HOME     33.6-70.6  .48     5-14.3   .35     28.3-35.2    .80     39.3     23       4.6       6.1        13.3    100.3         

It's pretty obvious from the stats that this has been a completely different team at home and that this young team has gained some invaluable experience, win or lose today. The maturation of the youngsters on the Hawks has been incredible at home where they have all the confidence in the word.

So maybe, just maybe, it hasn't been all Doc's, the refs, and/or the players faults we are playing a 7th game. Maybe, just maybe, we should give due credit to the young Atlanta Hawks who when they are playing at home showed tremendous tenacity, resilience, maturity, and plain old toughness that we here in Boston never expected was there and still to a point deny that is there.

This will be an up and coming team in the NBA and this series has been their coming out party. Win or lose today, congratulations Atlanta Hawks, maybe, just maybe, you have finally arrived.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 11:57:48 AM by nickagneta »

Re: It's time to give Atlanata some credit.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 11:54:51 AM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58
I agree Atlanta has played well at home, but I am not holding my breath that they will be any better next season. It seems to me more that the emotions of the playoffs and the crowd are really helping them and boosting their confidence. But I'm not sure that will play out over the regular season next year. This was a team that got beaten by our 2nd unit a few weeks ago.

That being said they have a puncher's chance of winning today.

Re: It's time to give Atlanata some credit.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 12:58:41 PM »

Offline greenfan

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
Au Contraire.  I think that this is just the start for this Atlanta team. Their "big three" of Smith Horford and Johnson are the real deal.  Two of those three are VERY young.  They will only get better over the next couple of years.  Horford is a Championship type player in my eyes.  Acie Law will develop a bit.  They will be an exciting team.  With a winning record in the East for years to come.

Speaking of the announcer in Atlanta.  My wife and I find ourselves saying "THUNDERSTICKS" to each other quite often after watching the Atlanta home games.