Author Topic: Williams listed as doubtful for Game 7  (Read 4855 times)

Williams listed as doubtful for Game 7
« on: May 03, 2008, 04:51:56 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Marvin Williams ended up with a sprained knee from that collision last night with Pierce.  Trainers are saying he's doubtful.  I'd love for everyone to be full strength but honestly at this point I wouldn't mind him sitting this one out.  He's been their main defender on Pierce, and they're so weak off their bench they'd be in trouble if any of their starters are on the shelf.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

Re: Williams listed as doubtful for Game 7
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 05:03:02 PM »

Offline ALLSTAR5

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
Marvin Williams is a factor in Atlanta, as we all saw. But we all know that no matter whose out for the Hawks they have no chance in Boston tomorrow. I see a easy 20 point win for the Celtics. Time to shut the Hawks up right now! or go home.

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 05:17:57 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
It's a catastrophic loss for Atlanta if he can't play. He's their best jump shooter, which is more important than ever considering the double teaming of Joe Johnson.

Marvin Williams said after the game that he was going to try and play but didn't know how limited he'd be.

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 05:22:09 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Not quite Adrian Dantley getting his noggin knocked in Game 7, but we'll take it!

Yup

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 05:26:20 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
It's game 7...unless his leg is broken, he's gonna play. 

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 05:58:41 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Let's Go Celtics
It's game 7...unless his leg is broken, he's gonna play. 

That probably will be the case, then it'll come down to if he's going to be a detriment on the floor.  It's hard enough covering Pierce with two healthy knees never mind just having one.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 10:22:33 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
I think his coach will determine whether he will be a detractor to his team first.Its no need for a player to be on the court,if he can't play at the same level he has always played.

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 10:31:57 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Let's Go Celtics
I think his coach will determine whether he will be a detractor to his team first.Its no need for a player to be on the court,if he can't play at the same level he has always played.

Yeah I definitely agree with this.  He'll definitely start or get put in the game in the first quarter and Woodson will see how he reacts out there.  From then on it'll be his decision.  It'll be something to watch throughout the game.  We could do without his 18 foot jumper constantly going down.  If Pierce isn't rotating to it like in the first half last night then we might have to rely on his knee being hurt.

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 10:34:43 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Childress can provide them as much offense due to his slashing style, but he is also a much weaker defender on PP. This would be great news. PP blows right past Childress.

Guys, it all of a sudden hit me. We are sitting there thinking that we need MARVIN WILLIAMS be injured and out to be able to ensure a win against this team. Pathetic!!

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 12:09:37 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
if he does play, whoever he is guarding needs to take to the rim everytime.  his mobility will be affected. be a shark when it smells blood.

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 12:11:09 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Let's Go Celtics
if he does play, whoever he is guarding needs to take to the rim everytime.  his mobility will be affected. be a shark when it smells blood.

Should be Pierce that will get this opportunity.  Perfect for us, Pierce is the man who needs to take control tomorrow.  I'm expecting a big game from our captain.

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 12:15:51 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

Should be Pierce that will get this opportunity.  Perfect for us, Pierce is the man who needs to take control tomorrow.  I'm expecting a big game from our captain.

i agree. it would be nice for pierce to have a big game and a W, to build momentum into the next round.

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 12:22:45 AM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
they won without him...i wouldnt count that as a + for us...

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2008, 12:37:30 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Let's Go Celtics
they won without him...i wouldnt count that as a + for us...

I think we lost that game more than they won it.  More power to them, but is Ray really thinking that 3 ball with 10 seconds left is the best option.  I think if he's gone for a whole game it's huge, it would tax their shallow bench.