Author Topic: Pachulia is too big for Powe  (Read 6799 times)

Re: Pachulia is too big for Powe
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2008, 03:50:22 PM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
I totally agree.  Powe is terrific -- he has been clutch for the Celtics all year.  Ridiculous to put the failings of the Big 3, Doc, and Cassell (well Doc most of all, but whatever), on Powe.

LOL I can't believe this thread was made. Zaza is averaging 3.7 pts and 2.7 reb in this series. Ha o no! His points yesterday came from jump shots where he was left wide open because the Celtics are double teaming Joe Johnson. He can still hit a wide open jumper. He got one long rebound because he is taller than powe and it was over his head and a few of you freaked out. Leon has played solid defense against there big guys and just starting to get the hang of things. He played back to back great games and to talk about this with all the other things that went wrong in that game is silly. Yes, I'm biased towards Powe ha. But come on, Leon has outscored and out rebounded Zaza in this series and if anything they should think of putting someone else out there on him. Zaza gets out worked. I can remember a few offensive rebounds Powe got in game 5 by getting around the Pachulia.

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2008, 04:15:58 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
None of the bench big men have done a good job. 

I want them to go to Scali.  He has been the best defender out of all the bench bigs. 

Yes, the Celtics lose rebounding.  But only for 10 or so minutes a game that is offset with better defense.

I think you are absolutely right here.  And I don't even think we would lose too much rebounding as a team.  He sucks at chasing after boards himself, but he is excellent at boxing guys out. 

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 04:25:27 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Powe hasn't been good in this series. He's had one good game, one average game and all the rest are below par for him.

This is what happens to players like Powe, he's completely dependant on his teammates to be a factor offensively and his teammates aren't living up to their end of the bargain. Not him, his teammates. That's why he hasn't been as big of a factor as normally.

I don't think Zaza has been a problem for him at all. He's done fine on Zaza. It's the quicker more atlethic bigs like Horford (and they have to hold Smith away from him like the plague) that have gotten to him. Not a great series/matchup for Powe.

I would only bench Powe if BBD got the task of defending Al Horford man-to-man, I wouldn't play BBD ahead of him in this series for any other reason. Powe simply offers more than any other Celtics backup big man in this series.

This team needs his movement off the ball, his cuts to the rim, his screen and rolls desperately. They also need his offensive rebounding and finishing desperately. Everytime Josh Smith goes for a block there's an offensive rebound and easy dunk available and Leon Powe is single most likely player, by a huge margin, to get that board and putback. That's why he should play.

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2008, 03:01:08 PM »

Offline expobear

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 27
Powe hasn't been good in this series. He's had one good game, one average game and all the rest are below par for him.

This is what happens to players like Powe, he's completely dependant on his teammates to be a factor offensively and his teammates aren't living up to their end of the bargain. Not him, his teammates. That's why he hasn't been as big of a factor as normally.

I don't think Zaza has been a problem for him at all. He's done fine on Zaza. It's the quicker more atlethic bigs like Horford (and they have to hold Smith away from him like the plague) that have gotten to him. Not a great series/matchup for Powe.

I would only bench Powe if BBD got the task of defending Al Horford man-to-man, I wouldn't play BBD ahead of him in this series for any other reason. Powe simply offers more than any other Celtics backup big man in this series.

This team needs his movement off the ball, his cuts to the rim, his screen and rolls desperately. They also need his offensive rebounding and finishing desperately. Everytime Josh Smith goes for a block there's an offensive rebound and easy dunk available and Leon Powe is single most likely player, by a huge margin, to get that board and putback. That's why he should play.

I'd say let's just have the Celtics trade Powe to appease all the unhappy Celtic fans who feel Powe is either too short, too slow (on the defensive rotations), a lousy shooter, not smart enough or just a plain lousy defender.
Powe is just a role player and will continue to be as long as the Celtics have the big three. When the regular season ends and it's playoff time, the big three are supposed to step up and they will take more shots. This leaves less shots for everybody else. That's just the way it is and the way it should be. From a statistical standpoint, Powe did just fine when given the playing time and made the most of his opportunities, shooting over 50% from the field.