Author Topic: Pachulia is too big for Powe  (Read 6851 times)

Pachulia is too big for Powe
« on: May 03, 2008, 12:55:25 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
i love Leon, but this guy is proving to be a bad matchup for him.

i would like to see Big Baby pushing him out of the post and hope he gets some more playing time in game 7 to do just that.

it is important that we don't let their bench players be as effective as they were in ATL, and i think one matchup that we need to change our game plan on is Pachulia.

he may have had a crappy season, but this guy was a starter last year and had really solid stats. and he is playing like that guy right now.

and he is just too big and too long for Leon to keep of the blocks. he is 6'11" and 280 and that is simply too much difference for Leon to overcome.

Re: Pachulia is too big for Powe
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 01:00:38 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Absolutely, 100% agree.  The thing I don't get is that Doc has been so good at putting Powe and Davis in good situations all year, but now that the playoffs have started, he is freezing up, and blindly sticking with Powe. 

Other than game 5, and some garbage time in game 1, Powe has been horrible this series.  He has been completely useless out there, because his hustle is cancelled out by just as much hustle by bigger (Zaza) or more athletic guys on the Hawks.  So all that is left is slow rotations. 

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 01:06:22 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
Absolutely, 100% agree.  The thing I don't get is that Doc has been so good at putting Powe and Davis in good situations all year, but now that the playoffs have started, he is freezing up, and blindly sticking with Powe. 

Other than game 5, and some garbage time in game 1, Powe has been horrible this series.  He has been completely useless out there, because his hustle is cancelled out by just as much hustle by bigger (Zaza) or more athletic guys on the Hawks.  So all that is left is slow rotations. 

Exactly right...i said Powe is to short,and can't out muscle the Hawkes.Thats why his value will never be sky high, his size.It really shows up aganist a team with just as young and more athletic players.tp for you.

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 01:08:55 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
It is almost as if Doc wanted to be a good playoffs coach, saw that most teams shortened their bench in the playoffs, and so decided to go primarily with his top 8 players--with Posey, Powe and Cassell off the bench.  Now he's determined to stick with that despite circumstances, matchups and what worked all year. He over-thought his strategy to keep from overthinking.

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 01:12:16 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

i don't mean this to be a Powe bashing session. i like Powe a lot, but Pachulia is simply a bad matchup for him.

no shame there, i just think when the lineups have him on the floor guarding Pachulia (especailly with the way Pach is playing) it is not good for Powe or the team, and since ATL is basically playing a short bench, he is getting matched up with him a lot.

i would like to move to BBD instead of PJ because i think BBD has the strength to keep Pach out of the blocks.

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 01:19:51 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

i don't mean this to be a Powe bashing session. i like Powe a lot, but Pachulia is simply a bad matchup for him.

no shame there, i just think when the lineups have him on the floor guarding Pachulia (especailly with the way Pach is playing) it is not good for Powe or the team, and since ATL is basically playing a short bench, he is getting matched up with him a lot.

i would like to move to BBD instead of PJ because i think BBD has the strength to keep Pach out of the blocks.

Don't get me wrong, I love Powe too.  But he is just a bad matchup against this team in general (if we win tomorrow, I think he will be a MUCH better matchup playing against Cleveland). 

My problem with Powe is that if he is not grabbing rebounds and finishing down low (which is very tough against this team), he is liability defensively.  Big Baby on the other hand is not as good a rebounder or scorer, but is a much more solid team defender.

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 01:38:21 PM »

Offline BillfromBoston

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
...have no idea what you guys are talking about...aside from the fact that Davis has been horrible when he's played, Powe has hardly been chopped up by Zaza...Pachulia got one rebound over the top and hit a rolling jumper in the lane...

Powe's played very well on both sides of the ball in 3 of the 4 games he's gotten significant minutes...

...this sounds like a parrot thread, where Doc starts the ball rolling by mentioning something about Powe's defensive rotations and then one or two plays have all the talking heads mimicking what was stated...people lock onto the few plays they remember, thats a fact...

...is Pachulia on Powe an ideal matchup, no...but Powe's been playing well this series and certainly hasn't been a liability on the court-he's made a TON more plays on DEFENSE than he's given up...don't make me go to the tape to prove this point...

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 01:40:36 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

He wasn't just good in game 5.  He was awarded player of the game.  He wasn't bad last night either imo....The issue for me is more about the guards allowing Joe Johnson to do what he wants.....

Don't get me wrong, I love Powe too.  But he is just a bad matchup against this team in general (if we win tomorrow, I think he will be a MUCH better matchup playing against Cleveland). 

My problem with Powe is that if he is not grabbing rebounds and finishing down low (which is very tough against this team), he is liability defensively.  Big Baby on the other hand is not as good a rebounder or scorer, but is a much more solid team defender.

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 01:42:23 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

He wasn't just good in game 5.  He was awarded player of the game.  He wasn't bad last night either imo....The issue for me is more about the guards allowing Joe Johnson to do what he wants.....

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 01:43:19 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
...have no idea what you guys are talking about...aside from the fact that Davis has been horrible when he's played, Powe has hardly been chopped up by Zaza...Pachulia got one rebound over the top and hit a rolling jumper in the lane...

Powe's played very well on both sides of the ball in 3 of the 4 games he's gotten significant minutes...

...this sounds like a parrot thread, where Doc starts the ball rolling by mentioning something about Powe's defensive rotations and then one or two plays have all the talking heads mimicking what was stated...people lock onto the few plays they remember, thats a fact...

...is Pachulia on Powe an ideal matchup, no...but Powe's been playing well this series and certainly hasn't been a liability on the court-he's made a TON more plays on DEFENSE than he's given up...don't make me go to the tape to prove this point...

Parrot thread?  I have been saying this stuff about Powe all season (and arguing with you about it). 

Apparently we have been watching different games, because I just have not been impressed with Powe at all this series, other than in game 5.

And I definitely disagree about the defense.  Other than the couple charges he has taken, Powe has just not been that good.  He simply does not help out on the perimeter the way the other bigs do, and it leads to guys getting easy penetration, and they are forced to foul, or step in at the last second trying to take a charge.  That is not good defense.

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 01:44:11 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

well i actually didn't hear anything about Powe's rotations, so that is not the source of this for me.

i think BBD and Powe do similar things well, but BBD is better against bigger players and Powe smaller players.

Pachulia is just not a good matchup for Powe IMO and Pachulia playing really well right now, so i think we need to actually think about getting him out of the paint better. heck, it's what got Pierce fouled out of that game last night.

the guy is a pain in the neck and i think that BBD is a very good rebounder (as is Leon) and has the size to better deal is Pachulia.

6'11", 280 is a big man...and he is very active around the rim.

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 01:45:30 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

Sorry guys for the posting errors.  Here's what I wanted to say:

Powe wasn't just good in game 5.  He was awarded player of the game.  He wasn't bad last night either imo....The issue for me is more about the guards allowing Joe Johnson to do what he wants.....

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 03:30:26 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
None of the bench big men have done a good job. 

I want them to go to Scali.  He has been the best defender out of all the bench bigs. 

Yes, the Celtics lose rebounding.  But only for 10 or so minutes a game that is offset with better defense.

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 03:33:04 PM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
Powe is not the problem.  Perimeter defense is the problem.

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2008, 03:47:42 PM »

Offline TheShowPowe

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
LOL I can't believe this thread was made. Zaza is averaging 3.7 pts and 2.7 reb in this series. Ha o no! His points yesterday came from jump shots where he was left wide open because the Celtics are double teaming Joe Johnson. He can still hit a wide open jumper. He got one long rebound because he is taller than powe and it was over his head and a few of you freaked out. Leon has played solid defense against there big guys and just starting to get the hang of things. He played back to back great games and to talk about this with all the other things that went wrong in that game is silly. Yes, I'm biased towards Powe ha. But come on, Leon has outscored and out rebounded Zaza in this series and if anything they should think of putting someone else out there on him. Zaza gets out worked. I can remember a few offensive rebounds Powe got in game 5 by getting around the Pachulia.