Author Topic: Game 7 Mindset (merged threads)  (Read 21514 times)

Re: They Should Pay Us to Go to Game 7
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2008, 03:27:08 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
they can spew all the phrases and cliches they want, but somebody needs to have a legendary performance tomorrow...it's our history:

- larry calls his teammates "sissies"
- max says to hop on his back
- 'toine getting in everyone's face during a timeout
- bill russell pulling down every rebound in sight

...Paul Pierce puts on a sling, then loses by 27 in Game 7 >:(
Yup

Re: Game 7 Mindset (merged threads)
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2008, 03:47:00 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
The way I see it is this: If the team wins by 22 points per game at home and loses close games on the road, its on the players and not the coach...

If Doc were such a terrible coach, how come he gets one resounding result at home and a completely different level of play on the road? He's using the same rotations, same offense and defensive strategy, everything....

...the players are to blame for the inconsistent play...they have not shown the poise and consistency on the road that they did during the regular season--its on them to turn that around...

..the coach can only put his players in the game and rely on them to do what they've shown they're capable of...

i agree. for some reason, they are losing their focus in ATL. it doesn't help that ATL is hitting everything under the sun at home....

« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2008, 04:19:40 PM »

Offline jamesk855

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
Finally, the first game of the season where I'll be able to make it. figures that it would be game seven of the playoffs. One thing I noticed is how loud the crowd has been in Atlanta. I think that many of their fans took it personally when when celtics fans made fun of them for the possibility of them not being able to fill their own arena. I think this series has been a war of the fans. it is up to the fans to get into the heads of the players and the refs, we need to show up to this game and be as loud as we can whether were up by 20 or down by 20. 

« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2008, 05:29:09 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
At least I don't have to wait the whole day tomorrow to find out what happens

Wake up, turn the TV on and we're good to go haha

« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2008, 05:48:25 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Worried? -- absolutely. I try to remember the good times though.  It seems so long ago when Atlanta had to win a game at home against the Celtics to qualify for the playoffs and the Celtics beat the Hawks by double digits and the bench played the entire fourth quarter.  Wait a minute.  Maybe that really never happened.  That team doesn't seem to exist anymore.  Worried? -- absolutely.  Also, as a fan for more than 40 years and a season ticketholder for at least two, I guess I am jaded.  I am having a real hard time getting excited for a first round series game 7 versus the Atlanta Hawks.  I know, call me crazy, but that's the truth.

« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2008, 06:04:01 PM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
I'm not worried about the game right now, but when it starts, my heart will be racing.

« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2008, 06:07:31 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I'm not worried my friends because I have full faith that The Truth shall set us all free.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2008, 06:54:09 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I'd love to have the tape of Game 5 against Iverson's 76ers back in 01.  After winning the first two at home the Celts dropped 3 and 4 in Philly.  People were questioning the heart and ability of Pierce and Antoine.  Pauly replied with a 46 point gem in a huge blowout win for the overachieving Celts.  If I could watch that all night I'd feel a lot better about tomorrow.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2008, 08:32:53 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
All the pressure is on Boston. The weight of the world is on their shoulders. Their whole season, all of those 66 wins, all of those past playoff failures, all of the expectations, all of the hype, all of the hope, everything .... everything is on the line

Atlanta are free as a bird. They've no burdens, no expectations. They're already a scucess. They could lose by 50 and people would still say they did great things pushing this series to seven and how brilliant a future this team has in front of them.

The Celtics' players haven't responded well to pressure in this series. Several players late in games have looked tense, looked tight, looked uncertain of themselves. If Atlanta can so much as make a run this will all flood back. They haven't handled it well yet, will they tomorrow?

Very important that Boston start well. If they let Atlanta hang around the pressure will only increase.

« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2008, 08:43:45 PM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
Over on NBA.com there was a story written where Ray Allen told his teammates that they should treat this much like the NCAA tournament, one loss and gone.

Doc Rivers response. "You don't have home games in the NCAA tournament"

Now I'm not trying to put words in anyone's mouth but it sounds like to me Doc Rivers is saying, 'don't pay any attention to Ray Allen there is no sense of urgency here your at home it's an automatic win'

I'm glad this 3 year reign of terror from Doc Rivers is almost over.

http://www.nba.com/nba_news/hawks_game7_080503.html

« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2008, 08:53:13 PM »

Offline celt4ever

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 2
All the pressure is on Boston. The weight of the world is on their shoulders. Their whole season, all of those 66 wins, all of those past playoff failures, all of the expectations, all of the hype, all of the hope, everything .... everything is on the line

Atlanta are free as a bird. They've no burdens, no expectations. They're already a scucess. They could lose by 50 and people would still say they did great things pushing this series to seven and how brilliant a future this team has in front of them.

The Celtics' players haven't responded well to pressure in this series. Several players late in games have looked tense, looked tight, looked uncertain of themselves. If Atlanta can so much as make a run this will all flood back. They haven't handled it well yet, will they tomorrow?

Very important that Boston start well. If they let Atlanta hang around the pressure will only increase.
YOU ARE RIGHT the only team that is going to have preassure is boston if we don't win this one, we are going to be the dallas mavericks of last year.
ohh boy

« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2008, 08:55:17 PM »

Offline Hrvoje

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
Over on NBA.com there was a story written where Ray Allen told his teammates that they should treat this much like the NCAA tournament, one loss and gone.

Doc Rivers response. "You don't have home games in the NCAA tournament"

Now I'm not trying to put words in anyone's mouth but it sounds like to me Doc Rivers is saying, 'don't pay any attention to Ray Allen there is no sense of urgency here your at home it's an automatic win'

I'm glad this 3 year reign of terror from Doc Rivers is almost over.

http://www.nba.com/nba_news/hawks_game7_080503.html

Doc said opposite other day, after players said it's gonna be ok as they are going home, Doc responded "You have to make it ok!". Also said at presser that you cannot rely just on home games.

« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2008, 08:59:15 PM »

Offline Hrvoje

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
I've just come across this one (maybe I posted it before)

It's short, but music kinda describes next, 7th game, and its also video from Hawks game at regular season (except the last part)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBD7Q8DV-Ys

« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2008, 09:16:53 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I'd like to see Doc go back to his early season rotation, I just want to see everybody get back into their comfort zone.

Dump PJ and Sam for game seven. The team doesn't know them, they haven't figured out how to use them well enough. They know Eddie House, they know Powe and BBD. They know their strengths, their weaknesses, how they move, what they like to do, how they'll react.

Get back to a comfort zone.

« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2008, 09:22:59 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
nice video.

i say tomorrow is all about paul pierce's legacy. the guy has had some great moments in his career, but when all is said & done, he has always ultimately failed in the playoffs.

if he ever wants #34 to hang from the rafters, he needs to flat out get it done on sunday and lead this team to round 2. if not, it's the same old story for paul pierce.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce