Author Topic: Game 7 Mindset (merged threads)  (Read 21437 times)

Re: The Celtics are D-E-A
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2008, 02:08:14 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Was the last letter R?  The Celtics are D-E-A-R to me?  And I will support them through this tough series?  That was it, yah?

I've seen too many things turn around in sports too many times to be so fatalistic about this.
Yup

Re: Who's worried about Sunday?
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2008, 02:17:29 PM »

Offline MaineBleedsGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
It just feels really really weird right now ... I was heated after game 3 and 4. Figured we'd win 5 and 6. I guess even after 66 wins it's hard to shake the last 20 years ... some how losing this series would feel natural??!?! I dunno, it's weird, and it sucks. GO CELTS.

This is still a Game 7!
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2008, 02:22:10 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
There has been a lot of negativity on this blog, and much of it has been justified. I've contributed to it as well, but it shouldn't be getting to the point where people are refusing to watch the game Sunday or demanding compensation to sit in the stands for a Game 7. This is a GAME SEVEN IN THE PLAYOFFS. A year ago we would have killed to be in this position.

Older fans, you know what the Garden was. Fans of my generation have Radja to your Russell, Joe Kleine, Pervis Ellison, Sherman Douglas. Not exactly the '86 Celtics. This is what we knew. There's a new generation of Celtics fans that know the game just as well... this is the first chance we get with a team that has a real chance. If a Game 7 in Boston can't do it with a team that has a least a realistic outside chance at a title no matter how disappointed we all are with them, then I don't know what can. We are all p---ed off and rightfully so, but don't jump ship yet... There's still basketball to be played.

The Boston Celtics are historically 194-75 at home in the playoffs. Let's remember why that is. Game 7 is Sunday afternoon. If you are going, welcome all of us younger fans to the old Garden.     
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

Re: This is still a Game 7!
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2008, 02:25:54 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
That's the spirit! 

Just get the [dang] win tomorrow.

You don't get extra credit for aesthetics.  They made there bed, now they have to lie in it. A series win is a series win.

Yup

back away from the ledge...
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2008, 02:26:27 PM »

Offline celticben

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
As much as it killed me to watch us lose to the Hawks last night, it is not the end of the world.  I fully expect the Celtics to regroup and manhandle Atlanta tomorrow afternoon.  The Hawks are a young and athletic team that played balls out the last month of the season to get into the playoffs.  We coasted, winning with our bench and throwing a wrench into the starter's chemistry.  Remember, no one expected the Celtics to win 66 games or lead the league in defense.  The playoffs are unchartered waters for a bunch of unproven playoff players.  Honestly, I am glad they are being tested early.  It will pay off on the road to the Finals.

« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2008, 02:32:09 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I'm worried.

Re: back away from the ledge...
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2008, 02:32:25 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
As much as it killed me to watch us lose to the Hawks last night, it is not the end of the world.  I fully expect the Celtics to regroup and manhandle Atlanta tomorrow afternoon.  The Hawks are a young and athletic team that played balls out the last month of the season to get into the playoffs.  We coasted, winning with our bench and throwing a wrench into the starter's chemistry.  Remember, no one expected the Celtics to win 66 games or lead the league in defense.  The playoffs are unchartered waters for a bunch of unproven playoff players.  Honestly, I am glad they are being tested early.  It will pay off on the road to the Finals.

i pretty much agree here. i think that now is not the time to bail on this team. they are still a really freaking good team that is having trouble with a team that is simply a bad matchup for us and is making shots.

making shot and getting stops is the name of the game and ATL is certainly doing that at home.

i think game 7 will be close at least through the first half, but i think the  Cs will play well and take the series and be ready for CLE....

TP.

Re: Tony Allen Should Cover JJ Game 7
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2008, 02:38:43 PM »

Offline RunningTheFloor

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
Please fire doc times a zillion. How do you drop two guys in tony allen and eddie house who have helped you all year long get to this point out of the rotation completely??? Last nite we really needed eddie houses three point abilities. Someone who doesn't think too much like KG and shoot the darn basketball.

Also we needed someone to drive to the basket which is tony's specialty. We kept shooting jumpers all freaking night.

Ridiculous. If hawks are smart for game 7, they just need to keep driving on us and let the celts shoot their jumpers and miss.

Stupid doc and his rotation management incapabilities

Really?  After all the talk around here that Doc would play too many players that don't deserve to play during the playoffs.  And all the talk about Sam Cassell will never play with bench players because in the playoffs the starters would play the majority of the game.  Is this the same blog?  Oh ok, its just overreacting to a tough loss.  Eddie House, maybe 3 to 4 minutes.  Tony Allen...please. 

« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2008, 02:39:35 PM »

Offline heyjohnny

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
Heck yes I'm worried. Doc had a home game #7 a few years ago with the C's coming in as 7 point favorites vs. Indiana. Remember what happened there? C's were down by nearly 30 at one point.
Of course the two teams are different but one factor remains the same, Doc Rivers.
Count me as NERVOUS and WORRIED as HELL!!!!

Re: Game 7 Mindset (merged threads)
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2008, 02:54:37 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Like in my real life circumstances, I am trying to "believe" that the Celts will win this game by 20+, showing their urge to win and move on. However, that isn't always the case, and I think regardless the game will either be close and involve me yelling at the TV about terrible refs (who are the refs anyway? better not be violet I despise her). Or, the game will be a blowout by the Celtics.

The fact that this is 1 game, and that in one game, anything can happen, really worries me though.

Re: Cornbread - Climb on my back
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2008, 03:00:21 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I have recently updated my backpack.  I went from a Chris Webber, a somewhat still effective, but it had growing holes and it was clear that it had to retire althoug it did briefly give some great years.  Now my new backpack I have decided to name it Paul Pierce because it's was used, but very effective.  It's made out of very strong materials, extremely reliable, and it contains multiple compartments for me to place things such as a pocket of writing utensils, another socks and boxers, and calculators and so on.

Why I am sharing this with you is that I decided to name my backpack Paul Pierce is because he's the kind of player that can carry his team on his back.  Allen is a shooter, and KG has shown that he cannot take over, but PP has done it many times.  I would like to see him take over and never look back.  He's gotta live up to my backpack.  I carry Paul Pierce on my back, and he shall carry the Celtics on game 7.
Baby Jesus!

Re: Game 7 Mindset (merged threads)
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2008, 03:06:29 PM »

Offline BillfromBoston

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
The way I see it is this: If the team wins by 22 points per game at home and loses close games on the road, its on the players and not the coach...

If Doc were such a terrible coach, how come he gets one resounding result at home and a completely different level of play on the road? He's using the same rotations, same offense and defensive strategy, everything....

...the players are to blame for the inconsistent play...they have not shown the poise and consistency on the road that they did during the regular season--its on them to turn that around...

..the coach can only put his players in the game and rely on them to do what they've shown they're capable of...

« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2008, 03:11:34 PM »

Offline RickyDavisfor3

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
Tony Allen; isn't he our answer? The defense on Johnson? The attacking of the hoop? If Doc had done a better job of building his confidence and keeping it there, he would've been a great fit in this series, instead, he's on the bench waving a towel. I'm not thoroughly impressed by Tony, he turns the ball over too much, but he fits the play of this series. I'd like to see him take over the first 3 quarters and hand it off to Pierce in the 4th.

« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2008, 03:12:07 PM »

Offline MaineBleedsGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
I have recently updated my backpack.  I went from a Chris Webber, a somewhat still effective, but it had growing holes and it was clear that it had to retire althoug it did briefly give some great years.  Now my new backpack I have decided to name it Paul Pierce because it's was used, but very effective.  It's made out of very strong materials, extremely reliable, and it contains multiple compartments for me to place things such as a pocket of writing utensils, another socks and boxers, and calculators and so on.

Why I am sharing this with you is that I decided to name my backpack Paul Pierce is because he's the kind of player that can carry his team on his back.  Allen is a shooter, and KG has shown that he cannot take over, but PP has done it many times.  I would like to see him take over and never look back.  He's gotta live up to my backpack.  I carry Paul Pierce on my back, and he shall carry the Celtics on game 7.

haha. Corny, but clever.

Re: They Should Pay Us to Go to Game 7
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2008, 03:21:04 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
someone needs to elevate their game and be a leader on the floor...i'm not trying to undermine these greatly talented nba players (and i mean this with all due respect) but those guys were average out there last night.  i realize that 20 points in an nba game is an accomplishment in itself, but none of our so-called "big 3" (cough...cough) stepped up and carried this team.

...somebody better do so on sunday.

I agree, but unfortunately "Umbutu" protocol dictates that one shall not rise above the others:-\

Umbutu won't be wearing a jersey on Sunday...

they can spew all the phrases and cliches they want, but somebody needs to have a legendary performance tomorrow...it's our history:

- larry calls his teammates "sissies"
- max says to hop on his back
- 'toine getting in everyone's face during a timeout
- bill russell pulling down every rebound in sight

game 7's are made for that heroic individual that says i will carry this team to victory no matter what...Umbutu won't win game 7, but a remarkable performance by one of our 3 cornerstone players will.  if these guys sit back and try not to offend the other two, or they defer to each other to a fault, or paul pierce tries to dribble the ball for 22 seconds we will witness the largest upset in nba history.

my biggest fear is that none of these guys have been in this position before...do they gravitate to the pressure and rise above it, or do they fold under it?

guess we should know something around 3:30 tomorrow afternoon...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."