Author Topic: Game 7 Mindset (merged threads)  (Read 21528 times)

Re: Cornbread - Climb on my back
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2008, 01:39:17 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I thought Pierce sorta did this in Game 5.  He pounded it to the hoop time and again.  Last night not so much.  Maybe it was the foul trouble.

Game 5 was perfect.  Pierce definitely put the team on his back when they needed him, and played within the team concept the rest of the game.  If they could play like that every game, they can beat anyone.

Re: They Should Pay Us to Go to Game 7
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2008, 01:40:05 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
someone needs to elevate their game and be a leader on the floor...i'm not trying to undermine these greatly talented nba players (and i mean this with all due respect) but those guys were average out there last night.  i realize that 20 points in an nba game is an accomplishment in itself, but none of our so-called "big 3" (cough...cough) stepped up and carried this team.

...somebody better do so on sunday.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

Re: Cornbread - Climb on my back
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2008, 01:40:36 PM »

Offline oldschoolceltic00

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
Agree with all of this.  I also think Allen needs more rest.  Whether it is by playing Cassell and Rondo together, or Posey even more, they need Allen to have fresh legs in crunchtime.  He had nothing left at the end last night.
I agree with you about Ray he needs more rest. I would like to see Posey get more minutes his defense has been great and he has been hitting the big shots. Ray needs to be rested have have his legs at the end of the game to be effective.

Re: Who's worried about Sunday?
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2008, 01:41:52 PM »

Offline Green Pride

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
Who's not worried about Sunday?

Not worried about Sunday at all.
not even a little bit?

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2008, 01:43:42 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I just dished out Tommy Points to everyone in this thread who posted with positive vibes!  That's what this teams needs, especially for those of you going to the game.  Bring the ruckuss baby!  A 30 point game 7 blowout will be exactly what the Dr. ordered in terms of giving us some confidence for the next round.  A crazy, positive crowd will bring exactly that.  Go Celtics!

Leave the nervousness and negative attitude to those of us watching from home.  :-[

Tony Allen Should Cover JJ Game 7
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2008, 01:44:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I thought Tony Allen, in the few minutes he played in Game 5, did a nice job covering Joe Johnson.  He is the only one who can cover him in the open floor.  Posey is too slow, and while the double team worked well in game 5, JJ and his ATL mates figured out how to exploit in game 6, leaving wide open jumpers for Marvin Williams et. al. We can not go back to single coverage by Ray Allen, and we cannot use too much help defense on the perimeter.  If we can't contain Joe Johnson with a single defender, what prayer do we have against LeBron, if we get into the next series? Not to mention Kobe, if we are fortunate enough to go to the finals and meet the Lakers. 

Does Doc have the guts to do this? 

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2008, 01:45:04 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
believe it or not --- I swear that I am almost totally indifferent about it.

I am literally not going to watch the game tomorrow. 

I have bled green since grade school (70's) and have stuck with them through the worst of times -- but right now I am on the verge of not caring. 

Hard to believe, but it's true.

That's called steeling yourself against the unthinkable.  I also find myself beyond being angry.  That was after Game 4.  Now I'm saying whatever, let's just win so we can get a few more playoff games to watch.

This team is flawed and it has been exposed by the Hawks. Once you convince yourself they're not blowing the best opportunity since 87 to hoist up Banner 17, it doesn't hurt so bad.... ;)

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2008, 01:45:54 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
I wish the Garden fans would be more like ATL fans (in that they should be ignorantly blissful and just pull for the team.  Ignore how disgraceful it would be to lose and just root, root, root).  My biggest concern is if the C's got down early, we might here boos ... or deafening silence.  The Hawks have proven in this series that they don't play well going against a hostile crowd. The Garden fans just need to keep it hostile and we should pull this out!

I think the absolute last thing we need to worry about in this series is the Boston crowd. If Atlanta's fans (who need constant PA prodding) can make even a slightly hostile atmosphere, I am not worried about traditionally the best basketball fans in the league. I'll be there Sunday, and can guarantee there will be no silence from my section at least.

I'm really not worried about Sunday. The Hawks suck on the road and the crowd will win the game if nothing else... my problem is with after the 1st series. This team is playing right now like a borderline one series win and out team. With the talent on this roster, and their alleged hunger for a ring, one and out is absolutely not acceptable. No way they play like that in Cleveland and take down Lebron.  
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

Re: Tony Allen Should Cover JJ Game 7
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2008, 01:46:17 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I don't think it is worth the negatives Tony gives you on offense.

Posey was GREAT on Johnson last night.  He kept him in front of him, and did everything possible to try to stop him.  Johnson just hit a great shot.

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2008, 01:47:30 PM »

Offline cool breeze

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 100
someone needs to elevate their game and be a leader on the floor...i'm not trying to undermine these greatly talented nba players (and i mean this with all due respect) but those guys were average out there last night.  i realize that 20 points in an nba game is an accomplishment in itself, but none of our so-called "big 3" (cough...cough) stepped up and carried this team.

...somebody better do so on sunday.

I agree, but unfortunately "Umbutu" protocol dictates that one shall not rise above the others:-\

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2008, 01:49:29 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I don't think the Celtics are going to need Tony in Boston.  But they needed him in Atlanta, and they should give a few minutes so that he'll be ready for a few more minutes against Lebron.....my goodness it's not rocket science.

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2008, 01:51:57 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I feel no different about this game than I did about Game 5.  Sure, you'd be totally drunk on that unspeakable green, artificially flavored beverage to not have a little bit of doubt seep into your Celtic lovin' armour, but I'm still very confident they'll win this game (as I've been for each of the previous 6).  The Celts had a decent amount of pressure on them in Game 5 and came through swimmingly. 
Yup

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2008, 01:57:23 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
I kind of agree, but it's no guarantee that Johnson wouldn't go out and score 35 points and TA make 6 or 7 turnovers.
You know what this reminds me of?
Don Zimmer(just typing his name makes me angry) in 78 when Butch Hobson's arm was falling off and Zimmer kept playing him as the Sox blew game after game and lost the pennant.  That seems to be how Doc feels about Ray Allen. He's going to live or die with his veteran player.  And it sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks!
I don't mean that Ray Allen sucks, I just realized it sounds that way. But really, he's relatively old, he's hot and cold, and still he seems to play 40 minutes a game. Of course, if that foolish three had gone in last night, we all wouldn't have this sinking feeling, Ray would be a hero, and Doc wouldn't be a moron.

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2008, 02:01:00 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
Please fire doc times a zillion. How do you drop two guys in tony allen and eddie house who have helped you all year long get to this point out of the rotation completely??? Last nite we really needed eddie houses three point abilities. Someone who doesn't think too much like KG and shoot the darn basketball.

Also we needed someone to drive to the basket which is tony's specialty. We kept shooting jumpers all freaking night.

Ridiculous. If hawks are smart for game 7, they just need to keep driving on us and let the celts shoot their jumpers and miss.

Stupid doc and his rotation management incapabilities

The Celtics are D-E-A
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2008, 02:03:00 PM »

Offline ZoSo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11
No final dash.

No final D.

Other than that, the Celtics championship aspirations for 2008 are dead.

Circling the wagons around the home court doesn't work. The 1987 Celtics proved that. This team has lost its moxy, lost its mojo. It simply lacks the intestinal fortitude to impose its will on the road. It's only a matter of time before they bugger one at home.

Danny Ainge and ownership should be able to rest well. They put this team in a position to win it all. They did their job.

The rest of the team?

Larry Bird would have called them out as panzies.

There is the smallest of chances they will be able to right this ship.

But don't bet on it.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 02:09:31 PM by ZoSo »