Author Topic: Game 7 Mindset (merged threads)  (Read 21510 times)

Game 7 Mindset (merged threads)
« on: May 03, 2008, 11:44:58 AM »

Offline Green Pride

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
They clearly can't win without us. You know that line in fever pitch -- you've loved the Red Sox but they've never loved you back? This seems like the rare case where they need us as much as we need them.

More broadly, this is just the thread for people who are angry. Anger is not an attractive emotion, and I'm usually a pretty optimistic guy, but the way they choked away that game last night made me angry, and I feel pretty much the same this morning. I went to games when they lost 18 in a row, I supported the rebuilding, I've been a fan through the tough times, and if they lose to the Pistons in a closely contested ECF I will accept that. But seven games against the Hawks is just not supposed to happen, and beyond all the rational debating that goes on on this site, I have to admit that I'm just angry with how they've played. Who feels the same way?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 02:46:28 PM by Redz »

Re: They Should Pay Us to Go to Game 7
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 11:50:08 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I am sorry to counter your topic with a positive post, but right now I am mad pumped because I was able to get tickets for tomorrow's game.  Obviously I would have liked to go to a Game 1 second round, but still.  My brother and I had to take the citizenship exam, so we got that out of the way and we were close to TD Banknorth, so we decided to check out how long the line was.  We got there and it wasn't that long, so we stayed.  We were there for 2 hours and we got the cheapest ticket.  Now we're not sure to sell or keep them and go with our parents (tomorrow is their anniversary).  Either way we're really pumped up!!!
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 11:50:40 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I'm over it. The past is the past.

I was ticked off last night. 

The fact is they've got to win one game at home and they're on to the next round.  They've won by an average of 20 points or so in the 3 home games.  No reason to expect we won't see the same tomorrow.

I actually like our chances against Cleveland if we can get there.
Yup

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 11:52:52 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
wyc is making plenty of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 12:16:28 PM »

Offline Green Pride

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
I am sorry to counter your topic with a positive post, but right now I am mad pumped because I was able to get tickets for tomorrow's game.  Obviously I would have liked to go to a Game 1 second round, but still.  My brother and I had to take the citizenship exam, so we got that out of the way and we were close to TD Banknorth, so we decided to check out how long the line was.  We got there and it wasn't that long, so we stayed.  We were there for 2 hours and we got the cheapest ticket.  Now we're not sure to sell or keep them and go with our parents (tomorrow is their anniversary).  Either way we're really pumped up!!!

no need to apologize -- you are cheering me up -- resilience of the human spirit is always good to see. good luck on your citizenship exams -- the irony is that most of us citizens who were born here probably couldn't pass those tests...

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 12:18:31 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I have half-season tickets.  I honestly an NOT excited about tomorrow's game -- sorry, but it is a huge disappointment.  How can anyone get excited about a 7th game in the first round against the 37-win Atlanta Hawks?  My fear is that the players may feel the same way.

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 12:32:59 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I have half-season tickets.  I honestly an NOT excited about tomorrow's game -- sorry, but it is a huge disappointment.  How can anyone get excited about a 7th game in the first round against the 37-win Atlanta Hawks?  My fear is that the players may feel the same way.

Umm I suggest you we all get excited.  The team has rallied around the fans, and they've played great basketball this series on their homecourt.  We can't let them know we're upset or angry or anxious or anything like that.  We need to do what we've done all series which is cheer our you know whats off for them and harass the Hawks as hard as we can.  We win tomorrow and we have a clean playoff slate, one series has nothing to do with the next, and I have faith that there will be a next series for us.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 12:43:21 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
speak for yourself, i am going to the game and intend to be loud and supportive the entire game.  the team needs any boost we can give them.  there is plenty of time to be negative IF we lose game 7.  until then, we need to get behind them.  im very frustrated as well with the games in atl, but this isnt the time to "boo" them or do anything but cheer and support them. thats what a home crowd is supposed to do.

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 12:49:51 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
If you're not excited about a Game 7 you're need to have your pulse checked. 

It's natural for us to be disappointed about the Celts losing 3 games to Atlanta, but we're still in great shape to win the series and that's only objective that matters.

Man.

Do any of the banners on the rafters go into great description on how the teams fared leading up to the championship? 

A win tomorrow gets us to the next round where we start even-steven again. 

Take a deep breath.  Gather some perspective and go enjoy the game.
Yup

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 12:55:29 PM »

Offline SamuelAdams

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
A first round win is a first round win. Don't mean nothing.

Maybe Doc needs the extra games to learn to SLIM THE ROSTER on the playoffs.  :)

Game 7 Mindset (merged threads)
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 01:04:01 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
Let's just not even think about the terrible games in Atlanta...

The Celtics have absolutely handled the Hawks in the 3 games in Boston.  They're a young team who hasn't been a good road team all season long.  The Hawks can't really use the "momentum is on our side now" card because they said that after game 4 and we skated easily to a game 5 win.

However, I do believe that they can pull the "all the pressure is on them card."  We're a 1 seed playing a far less superior (or so we thought) 8 seed and we shouldn't even be in a game seven right now and I'm sure the C's know that if the Hawks win on Sunday, it will be THE greatest upset in NBA history.

I try to keep on telling myself that we should have no problem at home considering how games 1, 2, and 5 went.  But does anyone feel that the worst can happen on Sunday?  It's really hard not to think about it.

What scares me most is that I wore my lucky shirt specifically for last night and we still lost...I know that sounds ridiculous but I discovered a few years ago that I always seem to have a good day whenever I wear a certain shirt of mine.  It's been working too, like a legit lucky shirt...no dice last night *gulp*

Re: Who's worried about Sunday?
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 01:07:16 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
He is?  That's not like him.  Ahaaa ha haa haaa :D ::)

(get it, Who's worried?)

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 01:10:07 PM »

Offline X Man

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
  • One Game At A Time
They clearly can't win without us. You know that line in fever pitch -- you've loved the Red Sox but they've never loved you back? This seems like the rare case where they need us as much as we need them.

More broadly, this is just the thread for people who are angry. Anger is not an attractive emotion, and I'm usually a pretty optimistic guy, but the way they choked away that game last night made me angry, and I feel pretty much the same this morning. I went to games when they lost 18 in a row, I supported the rebuilding, I've been a fan through the tough times, and if they lose to the Pistons in a closely contested ECF I will accept that. But seven games against the Hawks is just not supposed to happen, and beyond all the rational debating that goes on on this site, I have to admit that I'm just angry with how they've played. Who feels the same way?

I felt angry after game 4 but this is a bridge that all championship caliber teams have had to learn.  And the lesson is: You Must Play At A High Level Regardless of Your Opponent

If you don't:

The opposing team gains confidence = start making good decisions on the floor,

Their fans get excited = start filling up the otherwise empty arena

and last but not least:

The league gets involved = refs get caught up in the excitement of the situation

Its crazy that every year we have this narrative somewhere in the playoff picture.  Even down to the signs that the crowd displays during the game. Anyone watch Golden State & Dallas last year? The signs are almost word for word the same (with a different sponsor underneath) hmmm

I'm not a Mavericks fan but they were getting shafted by the refs that whole series and that completely shook the Mavs confidence, in turn, affecting the outcome of the series.

The Celtics are definitely getting tested to see if they can overcome the only hurdle that the regular season couldn't bring them: 

PLAYING UNDER ADVERSITY

Every other test we unexpectedly passed with flying colors:

Team chemistry? Check

Point Guard play? Check

Bench Play/Depth? Check

Playoff experience? Check (after mid-season acquisitions)

Adversity was the only thing that wasn't present during the regular season and now this is the handicap that the refs have put on their back and their getting frustated, cracking under it and its affecting their play. 

In other words: Learn from the Spurs: Play your game in spite of the refs and if they keep making ridiculous calls it will be that much more obvious.  I will say this is very hard task for a team that has been together for only one season to do.  But the league is making a lot of money seeing how the C's will find resolve.  So lets just win on Sunday and move on.  I mean even Hulk Hogan lost unimportant matches on Saturday afternoons against complete no names but McMahon never pulled a stunt like that in Wrestlemania. ;)

So enjoy the drama that Mr. Stern and Co. have provided for us basketball fans through out these couple of weeks and take it at face value. It has worked, I got into this series way more after these "strange happenigs" But I warn you, don't get caught in the trap of pointing fingers, its a waste of energy.  If anything the guys have to learn that when you're heavily favored this is the other side of the coin so you have to take emotion out if and execute you game plan

When the refs make bad calls just raise your hand and put it out of your mind.  Watch Manu Ginobli, he's a master at keeping his emotions in check while playing like a maniac.  To me that's the lesson this team is in the process of learning....And the league makes a killing in the process $$$
On the road to immortality

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 01:10:56 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
I'm worried about making it home from my niece's 1st birthday party in time for tip off. ;)
Yup

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2008, 01:12:49 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
He is?  That's not like him.  Ahaaa ha haa haaa :D ::)

(get it, Who's worried?)
If I had a nickel for every "WHO" pun I've had to fight myself to the core to resist playing!  ;D (I'd have about 70 cents I guess)
Yup