Poll

Why did we lose game 6?

Referees (fts 47-25 in favor of Hawks)
12 (22.6%)
Doc (just same old playoff Doc)
10 (18.9%)
Big 3 (flat out choke)
13 (24.5%)
No stops (can't get stops when we need to on the road)
10 (18.9%)
Ray Allen looks like a grandpa
1 (1.9%)
Donny Marshall and no Tommy announcing
3 (5.7%)
Little to None Offensive Execution
4 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: May 09, 2008, 11:50:55 PM

Author Topic: Why did we lose Poll?  (Read 8375 times)

Re: Why did we lose Poll?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2008, 08:37:46 AM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5
Referees (fts 47-25 in favor of Hawks)
 Doc (just same old playoff Doc)
 Big 3 (flat out choke)
 No stops (can't get stops when we need to on the road)
 Ray Allen looks like a grandpa
 Little to None Offensive Execution

Given the option, I sincerely would have voted , "All of the above" and that was in total insurmountable.

But other than the refs interjecting their will upon the game, still, three all stars need to impose their will and overcome those other very real problems.

So, unfortunately i must lay the responsibility for this loss on the "3", and for the want of a better term, they choked...

Don't get me wrong, got to tip the hat to the Hawks whos youth, atheleticisim and loose play alowwed them to sieze upon their opportunity, at home with favorable referring!

One and done, in the Garden on Sunday to do or die!

"Come On Celtics, get ya sh1t together"

-Go Celtics-

"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2008, 09:15:05 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I call myself fairweather fan but yall are hilarious.  3 (and a half) specific problems.

1)The same problem we've had all year (especially win we lose)  The C's have a bullseye on their back and TEAMS (and their crowds) get up for them they have all year now multiply that x2 for the playoffs.  Phillips was a ghost town during the season, but now, the team needs to mentally prepare for that(and every other road arena) point blank period.

2)Rondo needs to be aggressive.  He is a BEAST at home and disappears on the road the Cs need him to be him all the time

3)DOC needs to show the same confidence in his bench on the road as he does at home, its confusing and confidence stifling (for the young guys)

The half is the officiating ATROCIOUS but that can be overcome if the first 3 are better handled.

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 09:35:52 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
1. Rondo for the first time looked panicked out there. Doc had no choice but to take him out. Unfortunately, Sam Casell, while okay in the beginning, really slows us down, and shoots way too much.

2. KG looked tired and slow in the second half? Did anyone else feel this way?  He made some stupid turnovers, very uncharacteristic of him.  He also overpassed a couple of times, when he was about 5 feet from the basket. He failed to take it to the hole.

3. ATL played very good defense.  They disrupted our offense. We need to make an adjustment to avoid a repeat.

4.  ATL bench outplayed our bench, pure and simple, let by Childress and Pechulia.

5.  We are getting killed at the foul line. It is not officials, it is because ATL has more guys who take it to the hole.

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 09:55:10 AM »

Offline AINGE44

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 6
The Hawks are a team alot like the BOBCATS who the C's had a hard time playing this year.  They are a fast slashing team and the C's just have a hard time playing teams like that.  That is alway why I feel that not if but when the C's win game 7 they will have alot easier time the rest of the Playoffs. The Cavs and Detriot are a much slower team, so let not over think it.

Reason: The C's lost because they expected to just turn it on in Atlanta and the Hawks did not get the memo. They went 4-19 from three point land. Hawk has almost twice the number of ft and made 16 more ft than the C's.

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2008, 10:16:09 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Once again nothing but an entire team(players and coaches) letdown with external forces being a major force in the game.

But can we please start to give this Atlanta team some credit. They have played with poise, heart, intensity, and a maturity beyond their years at home this postseason and it's time we stop looking so much internally and start looking at how well this team has played at home.

They are probably more the reason we have three losses in Atlanta than any coaching move, referee, shot clock malfunction, or player letdown on the Celtics part.

The Hawks caused a lot of the disruption on their defensive end when the games turned and thy hit the big shots when they had to be hit. Even the shots that were contested, defended well, and difficult to make.

And they made their free throws, the same can't be said for the Celtic team we adore.

But if we have to look internally and to other factors besides th Hawks and their rabid crowd feeding energy into them then here's where I think things went wrong.

1.) Paul Pierce. Except for the first quarter of games he has been nonexistant and last night followed that pattern. He looks for and creates his shot in the first quarter and after that nothing. The drives aren't there and when they are he's not trying to finish them off. His free throw shooting has been abysmal. And we just haven't heard a word about him on the defensive end. He has been a complete non-factor there.

2.) KG has been okay but not the KG we need. Can someone tell me where the 4 time defending rebounding champion has gone? He seems to be boxing no one out on the defensive boards and allowing a ton of offensive rebounds. KG has never been a fabulous offensive rebounder, mostly because of his outside game, but what has happened to this man's defensive rebounding which has been the best in the league for a decade?

3.) Rondo finally had a bad game. When he successfully took it to the hole he missed the layups and too many times he tried to go into a hole that just wasn't there in turned the ball over by having his shot blocked, throwing it way or being stripped. He also looked vaguely like Cassell last night with his pounding of the ball for long periods of time.

4.) Ray. He's starting to look old defensively and his three pointer just wasn't there last night. He didn't have what I would call a bad game but it wasn't what should be expected out of him either. None of the Big Three played big in Atlanta.

5.) Team defense has disappeared in Atlanta. 48% for the game and a couple of quarters where they shot over 60% is horrible. The amount of defensive letdowns and the players that were allowing it is way to long to measure and discuss. But the D in Atlanta has been horrible.

6.) The offense has stopped being the ball movement, seek out the open guy offense we've been used to. Way, way too many times are guys trying to do everything themselves and the interior passing, that had been a staple of this club all year is being shut down or is shutting itself down. Movement without the ball has been bad, bad, bad. And the ability to miss shots inside of two feet has just befuddled me.

7.) Doc. We are getting contribution from exactly three guys off the bench Powe, Posey and Cassell. If that's the case, why is anyone else from the bench even playing? And can we please stop making our first substitution be at the 10 minute mark left in the first and third quarters so that we have an all substitute team on the floor during the beginnings of the second and fourth, especially the fourth. The results have been as bad and predictable as they could be.  Other than that I don't have too much problem with Doc. For the most part the players have failed him in Atlanta and not the other way around nearly as much.

8.) The refs once again weren't good in the second half looking as biased as the last two crews that worked Atlanta. Their first half was good but, OMG in the second half.

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2008, 10:55:16 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
47-25 with a difference of roughly 15-2 in the 4th is hard to overcome. Basically thats a 17 point hole to crawl out of.

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2008, 12:18:50 PM »

Offline bigtyc55

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 5
Pierce has to stay out of foul trouble, this is the main problem with our second half meltdowns. He is the guy that can and has put the team on his shoulders and won us games before. He is our go-to-guy and without him out there we don't have this, unless KG will actually go down low. Pierce is picking up little cheapies and he cannot continue to do this, whether it is the refs being bad or not. When he has 5 fouls in the 4th quarter he can't be aggressive as he wants, both on O and D.

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2008, 12:25:44 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200
IMHO:

Teams that blame the refs are always destined to always come out on the losing side

(a polite way of saying: Blaming the refs are for losers)
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2008, 01:49:16 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
IMHO:

Teams that blame the refs are always destined to always come out on the losing side

(a polite way of saying: Blaming the refs are for losers)

IMHO the officiating has been beyond subpar. I challenge anybody to explain how Pierce's 6th foul was legit. The officiating has been winning games for the Hawks. Don't believe refs can do that, then meet my friend Doughnhey.

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2008, 02:14:40 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
As far as the refs, the call(s) on Pierce were ridiculous. And refs have been known to gamble and cheat(see previous post-Donaghey).
BUT, if you really believe the refs have been intentionally influencing the games in favor of the Hawks, then by the same token, do you really think the NBA wants the Hawks rather than the Celtics to win game 7. His Lordship David Stern would have a heart attack. So the  C's should get the calls, or at least their fair share.

OK, other posters have criticized PP for his lack of maturity. How about all of us out here-myself included-feeling like a friend or relative has died just because a basketball team has lost a few games. How mature is that ;)

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2008, 11:13:36 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
As far as the refs, the call(s) on Pierce were ridiculous. And refs have been known to gamble and cheat(see previous post-Donaghey).
BUT, if you really believe the refs have been intentionally influencing the games in favor of the Hawks, then by the same token, do you really think the NBA wants the Hawks rather than the Celtics to win game 7. His Lordship David Stern would have a heart attack. So the  C's should get the calls, or at least their fair share.

OK, other posters have criticized PP for his lack of maturity. How about all of us out here-myself included-feeling like a friend or relative has died just because a basketball team has lost a few games. How mature is that ;)

Why does Stern want to get rid of basketball in Seattle? Why did he change the finals format to 2-3-2? No one knows why he just does. Just like he hates the Celtics.

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2008, 11:17:34 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
not enough eddie house scalabrine and tony allen..

if we made our free bees we would have won that game...by 1pt but we would have won...

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2008, 12:10:23 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

Anyone know who the refs are for game 7?  (Please not Violet Palmer)!!!!!
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird