Author Topic: If Celtics win title, does Doc retire?  (Read 9365 times)

Re: If Celtics win title, does Doc retire?
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2008, 10:49:30 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I somehow missed this thread when it came out, or just decided to ignore it. If Doc was crazy enough to retire (and he'd be crazy to leave this team), I'll gladly take over for him. I'll only require a fraction of Doc's salary, and no more than a 2-3 year deal. I figure I could get the rotations good enough to win 60 games or so, and on those rare occasions that I lost I could find out exactly what I did wrong and how to fix it by consulting these boards.

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2008, 10:58:40 PM »

Offline jimmyt

• Author
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 2500
Doc definitely wont retire, which may be a good thing or a bad thing... but if he did I wouldnt mind having Thibideau as a coach... in fact I might welcome it.

Doc has defintely coached better in certain games in the playoffs, but I will point out that all he is doing is making the moves that many of us here on celticsblog have been screaming at him to make all year long..

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2008, 11:05:15 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Doc definitely wont retire, which may be a good thing or a bad thing... but if he did I wouldnt mind having Thibideau as a coach... in fact I might welcome it.

Doc has defintely coached better in certain games in the playoffs, but I will point out that all he is doing is making the moves that many of us here on celticsblog have been screaming at him to make all year long..

In all fairness to Doc, people on celticsblog have been screaming for all kinds of moves. There's nothing he could possibly do short of make PJ the point guard that people haven't called for.

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2008, 11:23:22 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
Doc seems to enjoy coaching, he's going to be paid a ton of money, and he has an outside chance of building some HOF credentials (multiple championships, Coach of the Year award.  Scary thought, isn't it?)

cmon hobbs please be serious. Place doc with last years celts team and still they be dead last. Put popovich with last year celts team and he would do prob 10 wins better

listen celts have an awsome team. Most coaches put in this circumstances could go in cruise mode and win. The guy doesn't even call out much plays, has his continous same stuff about lets not give up, we can do it etc. Thats all he says, its not a bad thing but by saying that being the highest paid coach someday?? haha i liek to see a team foolish to do that

until we have the the big three and we win this year, lets let doc stay but i'd like to see him do something good with a fresh team. i doubt it

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2008, 12:15:46 AM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
Doc Rivers is the Terry Franconca of the NBA.

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2008, 12:17:32 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Doc seems to enjoy coaching, he's going to be paid a ton of money, and he has an outside chance of building some HOF credentials (multiple championships, Coach of the Year award.  Scary thought, isn't it?)

cmon hobbs please be serious. Place doc with last years celts team and still they be dead last. Put popovich with last year celts team and he would do prob 10 wins better

listen celts have an awsome team. Most coaches put in this circumstances could go in cruise mode and win. The guy doesn't even call out much plays, has his continous same stuff about lets not give up, we can do it etc. Thats all he says, its not a bad thing but by saying that being the highest paid coach someday?? haha i liek to see a team foolish to do that

until we have the the big three and we win this year, lets let doc stay but i'd like to see him do something good with a fresh team. i doubt it

I'm guessing you don't attend the practices where most of the coaching work is done.

Your anti-Doc tirade also fails to address the post you quoted. Doc has some impressive credentials and a reputation that is skyrocketing.

Popovich? You mean the 17-47 in 1997 Popovich? When did that change? When Robinson got healthy and they drafted Duncan. Popovich is fully capable of losing with a bad team, just like Larry Brown with the Knicks and Pat Riley with Miami last year. Hopefully this brings people back to reality.

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2008, 12:28:05 AM »

Offline vl819

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 19

Yes, they have many similarities, but Doc is nowhere near Francona's level. Terry has proven himself as an elite manager (especially in the postseason). In my opinion, Doc is light years away from that.

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2008, 01:44:40 AM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
Yeah seriously that seems a bit ridiculous.  Francona is a terrific manager.  While he goes about it a different way, he has a lot of the clubhouse strengths Doc has (and while dealing with some really difficult-to-manage guys like Manny) *and* is a solid in-game adjustments manager. 

He also seems to have some genuine affinity for the fans of Boston and, while he gets frustrated at times, recognizes the expertise Boston fans bring to the table.  I'm not sure Doc thinks the same thing based on his public statements (I don't know him, so I don't have a clue what he would say in private). 

Yes, they have many similarities, but Doc is nowhere near Francona's level. Terry has proven himself as an elite manager (especially in the postseason). In my opinion, Doc is light years away from that.

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2008, 03:45:42 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Doc Rivers may never be a great X's and O's coach and his experience may not be the best but he has shown he can deal and manage with superstar egos and isn't afraid to use any type of player at his disposal.

He's shown he will play young guys when the matchups are right or if we need more energy. He's shown he will sit Rondo when he's not effective. He's shown he will sit a star like Ray Allen not because of anything bad he did but because the 5 on the floor was getting the job done.

Doc has also shown he isn't afraid to be humble and let his assistants take on more responsibility. And because of that our defense is so much better and our offense out of time-outs are tops in the league.

I don't know about everyone else but this year Doc has impressed me immensely and through the playoffs he's even stepped it up a notch. He's remained calm and cool and showed no panic throughout these playoffs.

I hope Doc doesn't leave the 5 million on the table.

Right now...losing Doc is bad for the organization....just plain bad.

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2008, 04:11:01 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Put Popovich on last year's team and they do 5-10 wins worse. Pop's a much better tanker.