Author Topic: If Celtics win title, does Doc retire?  (Read 9354 times)

If Celtics win title, does Doc retire?
« on: May 02, 2008, 03:22:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I understand the question posed is assuming a lot, especially since the Celtics aren't even out of the first round of the playoffs yet, but, let's just say for the argument's sake that the Celtics win it all this year. Do you think it would be possible that Doc would retire as Celtics head coach and look to either move into something else in the organization or go for something else, possibly television.

The reason being is that Doc and his family live in the Orlando area and through all the years of coaching here in Boston, the family and Doc's home has remained in Florida. Doc has mentioned on a few occasions that it is tough on the family during the season and after a year that extended deep into June, could Doc think another year into June would just be to tough for the marriage and kids.

On top the the family strain that has been involved, could Doc think that since he has already finally accomplished his goal of winning a championship, maybe it's time to leave it behind him and leave his coaching end of his career on a high note. You know ESPN or TNT would pick him up in a minute. And the TNT studios are only a short flight from Orlando. If he ever decided to return to coaching he would probably be a hot commodity on the coaching end of being hired considering he would have a championship on his resume as well as the largest single season turnaround in league history.

Doc is signed through the 2008-09 season at $5 million per. That's just one season left so it's not like he would be walking away from a long contract and leaving a ton of cash on the table. Is just one more year, and as a lame duck coach at that, really is it worth it at all for Doc?

I think it could become an interesting scenario. If they win it all would Danny just let Doc play out his contract or would he try to lock him into another multi-year extension with a raise to boot? Would Doc even take the extension? Would the Celtics be looking at Coach T as a replacement if Doc did go?

I think this offseason could be a very interesting one for Danny and Doc if the Celts win it all and I think it would start with the coach.

Re: If Celtics win title, does Doc retire?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 03:24:54 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I doubt it.  I think Doc enjoys coaching.

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 03:26:44 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
No chance

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 03:41:07 PM »

Offline klg05

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
Before the playoffs began, the Celtics wanted to talk extension with Doc, and he said he didn't want to discuss it during the playoffs.

I do know he has said he loves coaching. I don't think he is ready to leave.  He is only 46 years-old I believe.

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 03:44:40 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Don't see it happening.  But let's win the championship for the hell of it and see what happens.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 03:45:10 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Doc seems to enjoy coaching, he's going to be paid a ton of money, and he has an outside chance of building some HOF credentials (multiple championships, Coach of the Year award.  Scary thought, isn't it?)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 03:45:29 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
I think after this season he is going to need to look into purchasing a home here in Boston. I thought he was just waiting for his youngest to finsish out her HS senior year this May? I could be wrong...

I think Doc has the charisma and personalty to become a big part of Boston within the Celtics organization and/or as a media member
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 03:52:08 PM »

Offline MrsNumba17

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 17
  • I Love NUMBA 17 !
Doc's here to stay. I hope!!!  8)

He knew what he was getting into when he decided to coach in Boston.

"A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals"
~Larry Bird

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 03:52:44 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
Doc seems to enjoy coaching, he's going to be paid a ton of money, and he has an outside chance of building some HOF credentials (multiple championships, Coach of the Year award.  Scary thought, isn't it?)
you got that right ;D

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 03:54:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Doc seems to enjoy coaching, he's going to be paid a ton of money, and he has an outside chance of building some HOF credentials (multiple championships, Coach of the Year award.  Scary thought, isn't it?)
I can't believe you just said that.

I know Doc loves coaching and if they did win Danny is going to try to extend him big time. I think he would continue to want to coach, but if he decides he's not going to move out of Florida(and really I couldn't blame him, he's got many and who wants to live in Boston winters. I know I don't anymore) then maybe he looks seriously at only finishing out the contract. We really don't know if his wife is willing to move up here or just how much a strain it could be having.

I think he'll stay on to, but I thought it could become an interesting offseason scenario.

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 04:00:44 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Well, I did call it an outside chance.  And, I certainly wouldn't be voting for him.  Still, the media loves him, and if he finishes his career with a bunch of wins (he's young), a winning record, a couple of championships, and a C.O.Y. award, it could happen.  Shudder.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 04:03:42 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Fellows, when my dad was working on the road, I'd seen him once every two weeks for about 2 to 3 years.  :( Those were the breaks when the energy industry went bust back in the 80s.

Today, Doc gets to be "on the road" from Oct till mid-Jun but then spend the summer and roughly a month of the fall, at home, without needing to show up at an office.  :) Really, that's not that hard. I estimate, traveling business class (for 2-3 hrs, since it's only Orlando FL), he can be home even more than twice a month (probably thrice) which, btw, a lot of executives can't even do given today's tight work schedules.

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 04:03:54 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Well, I did call it an outside chance.  And, I certainly wouldn't be voting for him.  Still, the media loves him, and if he finishes his career with a bunch of wins (he's young), a winning record, a couple of championships, and a C.O.Y. award, it could happen.  Shudder.

He and Gerald Green will be inducted to the H.O.F. the same day.  They'll blow a collective raspberry to CelticsBlog for their acceptance speeches.
Yup

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 04:13:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Fellows, when my dad was working on the road, I'd seen him once every two weeks for about 2 to 3 years.  :( Those were the breaks when the energy industry went bust back in the 80s.

Today, Doc gets to be "on the road" from Oct till mid-Jun but then spend the summer and roughly a month of the fall, at home, without needing to show up at an office.  :) Really, that's not that hard. I estimate, traveling business class (for 2-3 hrs, since it's only Orlando FL), he can be home even more than twice a month (probably thrice) which, btw, a lot of executives can't even do given today's tight work schedules.
It's extremely difficult to compare the everyday business executive to professional sports athletes and coaches, they are just two completely different worlds.

Also, Doc is not home all summer as I am sure he is back and forth from Boston quite a bit for various reasons(working over draft picks, traveling to meet potential free agents).

And you have to remember he's been doing this for 20 or more years when taking into consideration his playing career as well as his coaching career. He's probably well off enough to not have to put up with it if he doesn't want to anymore.

But it's probably a moot point.

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 04:38:57 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
put him out to stud...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."