Author Topic: BOS / DEN trade idea  (Read 30468 times)

Re: BOS / DEN trade idea
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2008, 04:28:48 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
If Alonzo Mourning were signed by the C's this off season, then I'd be all for the Camby trade. :)
I'd take Alonzo's 16-22mpg over Camby's 35. Now that's a great defensive player. He'd be brilliant for Perkins too.

Is Alonzo actually considering playing another season?
Doubt it. If he does I doubt he leaves Miami anyway. I believe his stance is that he hasn't ruled anything in or out yet.

This past weekend, he said he was considering playing another year. It's worth a phone call from Danny anyway...  ;D

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2008, 04:31:22 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I'd say keep Perk. The C's need him for low post man to man defense. And then the $$ saved by not getting Camby can go to upcoming free agents.

Now lets play a fantasy scenario. If Alonzo Mourning were signed by the C's this off season, then I'd be all for the Camby trade. :)

Thats not the way the soft cap works. We would have no extra money to spend of FA's only the MLE

Right, but ownership would be more willing to spend the full MLE if the salaries were kept down a little. If the C's grabbed Camby, I doubt the owners would want to go deeper into tax land by spending the full MLE (and LLE for that matter).

I have seen no evidence that would suggest what you are saying.  I think even with that trade they still bring in an MLE and a LLE.

"Organizations will try to avoid the luxury tax at all costs, but once it becomes inevitable, it doesn’t always make sense to still try and save money at the expense of not adding the right players" (Shira Springer, Globe Staff August 1, 07 02:00 PM)

and I 100% agree...

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2007/08/garnett_contrac.html
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2008, 04:33:40 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
I think this trade would be a trade made to put the finishing touch on the Celtics to help take them over the hump if they don't win the championship. It's short term based and a seriously risky gamble. Perk is a 23 year old, developing center signed to a friendly contract. He has yet to break 25 minutes per game on a yearly basis. If Perk could improve more and start being used 30+ minutes a game, he could become close to a double double guy with the starters he is playing with.

If the Celtics win the championship there is zero chance of this happening. If they don't, it could be a possibility, although Danny is really high on Perk.

I say hold onto Perk and get Baby into shape. I like the idea of building a solid, young base behind the GPA.

I'm just not sold on this being of High risk...

but I do agree we win it all no way this happens.

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2008, 04:44:11 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
I'd say keep Perk. The C's need him for low post man to man defense. And then the $$ saved by not getting Camby can go to upcoming free agents.

Now lets play a fantasy scenario. If Alonzo Mourning were signed by the C's this off season, then I'd be all for the Camby trade. :)

Thats not the way the soft cap works. We would have no extra money to spend of FA's only the MLE

Right, but ownership would be more willing to spend the full MLE if the salaries were kept down a little. If the C's grabbed Camby, I doubt the owners would want to go deeper into tax land by spending the full MLE (and LLE for that matter).

I have seen no evidence that would suggest what you are saying.  I think even with that trade they still bring in an MLE and a LLE.

"Organizations will try to avoid the luxury tax at all costs, but once it becomes inevitable, it doesn’t always make sense to still try and save money at the expense of not adding the right players" (Shira Springer, Globe Staff August 1, 07 02:00 PM)

and I 100% agree...

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2007/08/garnett_contrac.html

Trust me, I agree as well. I just don't think the C's owners agree. Most owners don't agree. We'll see this summer. I hope you are right and the C's go all out and spend the $$$.  ;D

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2008, 04:46:54 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
No. Don't want Camby. Too old, too injury prone. I honestly wouldn't trade Perk straight up for him(not based on relative talent, obviously, but based on age and what each would bring to the C's). Camby may have had two healthy years in a row, but IMO, he's too big a risk.

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2008, 04:49:21 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
If Alonzo Mourning were signed by the C's this off season, then I'd be all for the Camby trade. :)
I'd take Alonzo's 16-22mpg over Camby's 35. Now that's a great defensive player. He'd be brilliant for Perkins too.

Is Alonzo actually considering playing another season?
Doubt it. If he does I doubt he leaves Miami anyway. I believe his stance is that he hasn't ruled anything in or out yet.

This past weekend, he said he was considering playing another year. It's worth a phone call from Danny anyway...  ;D
That's really good news, hopefully he can get himself healthy and come back. I've always enjoyed watching Alonzo play.

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2008, 04:57:00 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey

I think a championship wold more then compensate but you might be right.

I have seen no evidence that would suggest what you are saying.  I think even with that trade they still bring in an MLE and a LLE.

and I 100% agree...

Trust me, I agree as well. I just don't think the C's owners agree. Most owners don't agree. We'll see this summer. I hope you are right and the C's go all out and spend the $$$.  ;D

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2008, 05:03:27 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
This trade isn't even close to fair.  As much as I like Perk, Baby, and Allen, none of them are great prospects that are worth trading Camby for.  Even if they want to save money, the Nuggets want something approaching fair value.

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2008, 05:12:51 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
I actually think Perkins's value is rising around the league. Who wouldn't want him on their team playing 20 minutes or so per game. Big strong blue collar centers who stay within their role aren't so easy to come by.

But having said that, I don't think the Nuggets should or would make that trade. They need his help defense to cover A LOT of mistakes.

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2008, 05:15:06 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
I feel Mourning/Camby both have seen the upside to their careers..both are on the decline of their careers.We do not want to end up in the situation the Heat were in(Shaq,Mourning).I dont think either will ever play a 82game season again,in their careers(Mourning or Camby).As much as i see problems with Perks game,i rather go with him,because of his youth,and being available throughout the season.Give it another season,but DA should keep his eyes open for someone else to possible replace him or compliment him in the future.If we could pick up a decent backup,maybe things could work itself out.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 05:36:55 PM by jay_jay54 »

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2008, 05:28:38 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
If we give up all our young core guys we will be in last years situation again in about 3-4 years though. If I could guarantee a championship then maybe, but I don't see that this really does anything but prevent us from having as deep a bench. 3 guys money becomes 1 guy. It was hard enough to attract free agents without PP, Ray, and KG all off this team in a few years and all our young talent gone. We'll have another 20_ year drought!

Is Danny going to stop Drafting in this time?  Did we lose Draft picks I don't know about (we owe the Wolves 1)?  The only player that is not replaceable on this roster under the age of 24 is Rajon. Keep in mind:

1. Ownership will pay luxury tax
-Resign FA's (House, Posey)
- MLE's
2. Expiring Contracts
3. Future Draft picks

We have a 7 year window here and I think it extended when DA manages the things mentioned above correctly.

Yes we will. We will have draft picks in the very end of the first round. Not exactly guys that are going to bring in the star free agents!  Expiring contracts don't do you a whole lot of good if you don't have guys out there wanting to come and take the money.

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2008, 05:56:08 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
If we give up all our young core guys we will be in last years situation again in about 3-4 years though. If I could guarantee a championship then maybe, but I don't see that this really does anything but prevent us from having as deep a bench. 3 guys money becomes 1 guy. It was hard enough to attract free agents without PP, Ray, and KG all off this team in a few years and all our young talent gone. We'll have another 20_ year drought!

Is Danny going to stop Drafting in this time?  Did we lose Draft picks I don't know about (we owe the Wolves 1)?  The only player that is not replaceable on this roster under the age of 24 is Rajon. Keep in mind:

1. Ownership will pay luxury tax
-Resign FA's (House, Posey)
- MLE's
2. Expiring Contracts
3. Future Draft picks

We have a 7 year window here and I think it extended when DA manages the things mentioned above correctly.

Yes we will. We will have draft picks in the very end of the first round. Not exactly guys that are going to bring in the star free agents!  Expiring contracts don't do you a whole lot of good if you don't have guys out there wanting to come and take the money.

The players we would use in this trade are draft picks from the very end of the first round. Expiring contracts are used in trade for teams to rid themselves of commitments to certain players and go in another direction. Who cares about a pipeline if we can produce a solid 8 man rotation of veterans every single year making up a team that contends.

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2008, 05:58:26 PM »

Offline Las Vegas Asian

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6
Not trying to say EVERYONE was guilty but that Nuggets team packed it up for the summer after game 2 in their series with the Lakers. With the exception of Kleiza, I'd be hesitant to take any of those guys on the Denver roster - especially an aging, injury prone, jump shooting center.

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2008, 05:58:50 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
I just think we fall in love with Prospects in this town, forget about youth and promise lets win every single year.  :D

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2008, 06:00:13 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
interesting trade idea to discuss.  Not a good trade in my opinion.

I hate the term role player, but you can't give up 2 good to excellent role players (to keep or trade later) for a 34 year old with an injury history.  That about sums it up.

If the Celtics did too many trades like this one, they'd be dead in the water when the big 3 retires.  It's not time yet to give up on maintaining our greatness beyond the big 3.  

Right now I prefer Powe to Big Baby, but Big Baby still has some mystery quality, meaning he could wind up better than any of us think, maybe as good as Ryan Gomes from the outside, for example, while hammering people inside as well.....

I'd love to get Mourning to combine with Perk!