Author Topic: Original Tommy Point?  (Read 8870 times)

Original Tommy Point?
« on: April 30, 2008, 09:41:08 PM »

Offline shiggins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 147
Looking for a  little history here.  Who recieved the first ever Tommy Point?  And not forum wise, but in real life.  I remember reading it somewhere but cant remember who it was.  Thanks for the help!

Re: Original Tommy Point?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 10:01:13 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Can't really help you on this one, I want to say Walter McCarty, but I have a feeling it goes back further than that and I just can't remember.

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 08:31:37 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Has to be Roy
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 08:39:51 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Urban dictionary.com needs to update its listing for Tommy Point a bit

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tommy%20point

tommy point

An award given to an NBA player, usually a member of the Celtics, by Celtics color commentator Tommy Heinsohn (NBA Rookie of the Year 1956-57 for the Boston Celtics, NBA Hall of Fame Inductee 1986) for a great play that goes up and beyond the call of duty expected of the player. E.g. A steal, a blocked shot or great defensive play, etc.
Paul Pierce cuts through a few tough defenders to score 2 "That's a Tommy Point!"
Ricky Davis goes baseline to make a shot "Tommy Point for Ricky!"
Delonte West makes a hustle play that ends up saving the game "GIVE 'IM TEN THOUSAND TOMMY POINTS!!!"
Yup

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 09:44:56 AM »

Offline reggie35

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 51
Can't really help you on this one, I want to say Walter McCarty, but I have a feeling it goes back further than that and I just can't remember.

I actually think it started recently during the 18 loss season. I can't say who got the first one, but I remember thinking this was some sort of gimmick since the team sucked so bad.

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 10:02:05 AM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis

I actually think it started recently during the 18 loss season. I can't say who got the first one, but I remember thinking this was some sort of gimmick since the team sucked so bad.

im not sure exactly when he started doing it, but it was definitely before the 18 loss season,,,,TommyPoints.com has quotes of him saying Tommy Point back in 04.  I think Walter is as solid a guess as anyone
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 11:25:33 AM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
i still love waltah!
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 11:42:14 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

nope, its been around since at least walter, which is as good a guess as any.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 11:59:33 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I've seen this before, and I'm pretty sure it's someone a little more obscure.  I actually think it was Erick Strickland.

On CSNE.com it talks about the Tommy Award, which I know is something different, but mentions in the history that the first Tommy Point was given out in 2002 (though doesn't say to whom).

Random fact for you all, first Tommy Award was given to Vitaly Potapenko.

http://www.csnne.com/celtics/tommy-award-history/
During the 2002 season, Boston Celtics Legend and long-time announcer Tommy Heinsohn saw a Celtics player dive on the floor for a loose ball, and "Tommy Points" was created. Since then, Tommy has given out thousands of deserving Tommy Points to Celtics players that have gone beyond the call of duty, given life or limb, and showed all-out hustle in helping the Celtics win and defining "Celtics Pride". On March 13, 2002, Tommy began to give out a "Tommy Award" to the player that gave it his all during Comcast SportsNet’s broadcasts. The first ever Tommy Award was given to Vitaly Potapenko. Over 500 Tommy Awards have been chosen sine then.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 12:05:39 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I've seen this before, and I'm pretty sure it's someone a little more obscure.  I actually think it was Erick Strickland.

On CSNE.com it talks about the Tommy Award, which I know is something different, but mentions in the history that the first Tommy Point was given out in 2002 (though doesn't say to whom).

Random fact for you all, first Tommy Award was given to Vitaly Potapenko.

http://www.csnne.com/celtics/tommy-award-history/
During the 2002 season, Boston Celtics Legend and long-time announcer Tommy Heinsohn saw a Celtics player dive on the floor for a loose ball, and "Tommy Points" was created. Since then, Tommy has given out thousands of deserving Tommy Points to Celtics players that have gone beyond the call of duty, given life or limb, and showed all-out hustle in helping the Celtics win and defining "Celtics Pride". On March 13, 2002, Tommy began to give out a "Tommy Award" to the player that gave it his all during Comcast SportsNet’s broadcasts. The first ever Tommy Award was given to Vitaly Potapenko. Over 500 Tommy Awards have been chosen sine then.

interesting research project for someone who's even more bored than i am, working back form the day the award started being given out, who was on the roster, ect, ect.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 12:11:43 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
This question has been posed on here before, and here's what was said:

Tommy awarded his first Tommy Point on March,13 2002,...Tony Battie(4),Walter McCarty(3),Eric Williams(2),Kenny Anderson(3),Rodney Rodgers(2),Eric Strickland(2)  were the first 6 recipients.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=23907.msg384956#msg384956

I'm not sure if that list is in order, but if it is, it looks like Tony Battie was the first recipient. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 12:18:03 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Top 10 Overall (Updated May 18, 2009)
1    PAUL PIERCE    89
2    RAJON RONDO    39
3    TONY ALLEN    37
4    KENDRICK PERKINS    30
5    DELONTE WEST    26
6    KEVIN GARNETT    23
 8    MARK BLOUNT    22
     WALTER McCARTY    22
9    RAY ALLEN    20
     RICK DAVIS    20

Someone's GOT to know Blount out of the Top 10!

Sad that he could have shown so much hustle for a period, then disappeared.
Yup

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 12:19:33 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Painful to look at the `03-`04 leaders

2003/2004 Season
1    PAUL PIERCE, MARK BLOUNT    12
2    CHRIS MIHM    10
3    JIRI WELSCH    8
Yup

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 12:30:13 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

Tommy awarded his first Tommy Point on March,13 2002,...Tony Battie(4),Walter McCarty(3),Eric Williams(2),Kenny Anderson(3),Rodney Rodgers(2),Eric Strickland(2)  were the first 6 recipients.

I'm not sure if that list is in order, but if it is, it looks like Tony Battie was the first recipient. 

Now if housecall was correct in that older post, and the first Tommy Point really was given out on 3/13/02, then I'd say Battie (DNP) and McCarty (1 minute played) are out. Box Score from 3/13/02

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 12:38:06 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112

You rang...the site i found the info never said which player received the 1st but the amounts in order...however,it told that Vitaly Potapenko received the 1st Tommy Award on March 13th,2002.