Author Topic: Am I the only one that saw a flop by Zaza?  (Read 4077 times)

Am I the only one that saw a flop by Zaza?
« on: April 29, 2008, 12:15:26 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I'm not excusing KG at all, he needs to settle down and just play, BUT... my take on that play was pretty clear.  He missed the shot and in the course of going up for the rebound, Zaza put his arm over KG's shoulder and held him down, then also was holding his arm with his other hand.  KG was upset that no foul was called and raised his elbow, which happened to be into Zaza's body.  There was a slight push off, but the close up angles showed that Zaza clearly flopped back, there is no way KG's slight elbow pushed a 7', 280lb. goon that far back.  It's all inconsequential now, but it would be terrible if that no call led to suspensions for KG/Perk.  Again, I'm not trying to excuse KG and he gets too chippy too often, but in this case it was an obvious foul on Zaza that went uncalled and then a flop on Zaza, which led to his own overreaction and instigation of the fracas.  If KG gets a suspension out of that, it would be one of the more disappointing string of events of I've seen in a long time. 

I know the suspension talks are for the ref contact, not the fray with Zaza, but the whole altercation would never have happened without 3 bush league moves by Zaza (and one by KG).  [dang], what a stupid name Zaza is anyway.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

Re: Am I the only one that saw a flop by Zaza?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 12:18:22 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
all good points, though they did actually call zaza for his third personal.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 12:22:16 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
all good points, though they did actually call zaza for his third personal.

hmmm, it appears they did.  Weird, there was definitely no whistle while he held KG down, at least not that I heard.  Was it a late whistle?

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 12:23:08 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
[dang], what a stupid name Zaza is anyway.

If the pump fits...

Yup

Acting and the current NBA and last night's game.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 12:37:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't know whether this thread is going to go anyplace but I needed to get this out of the way. The extent to which players have flopped and acted as if they were just stabbed or shot when someone touches them is getting beyond silly.

The diseaselike outbreak of this tactic is catastrophic this off season in its breadth and scale and the way it is effecting the outcome of games. The referees are buying every bit of it and are causing major momentum swings and hindering teams from doing what they need to do. Something has to be done before next season starts. It makes the game frustrating as hell to watch.

Now we know why Stern wants kids attending college before they come to the NBA. They need to take a drama class or three.

As far as I'm concerned Manu Ginobelli is the Charlton Heston/Jack Nicholson/Denzel Washington of the NBA. The man has turned his acting into an art form beyond Broadway plays and feature films.

But if every game deserves an Academy Award for Best Actor then the Oscar goes to...(opens envelope)... Zaza Pachulia for his work in Atlanta 97 Boston 92. Let's take a look at the film.

Perk with the ball in three point territory holding the ball over his head with two hands, he turns, and even though Pachulia is about six inches away from Perkins elbow he draws the foul with a picture perfect fall and facial expression. And his selling of the grevious injury was classic. True Oscar form.

Later in the film we see Zaza draping himself over the shoulder of one Kevin Garnett and grabbing on to him well after the whistle blows. As Garnett pushes Pachulia back notice the picture perfect 5 foot fall away from Garnett and instant releasing of his hold on KG. Truly deserving of a Lifetime Achievement Award.

But the best part of the film and definitely in the Academy's eyes the part that secured him the Oscar. Watch Pachulia as he pretends to be a tough guy and proceeds to yell at Kevin while doing the tough guy thing of head butting the man and then letting a 5'11" 180 pound man push him back away from KG with Herculian strength.

All said probably one of the best performances of this or any year.

Re: Acting and the current NBA and last night's game.
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 12:44:22 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108
I don't know whether this thread is going to go anyplace but I needed to get this out of the way. The extent to which players have flopped and acted as if they were just stabbed or shot when someone touches them is getting beyond silly.

The diseaselike outbreak of this tactic is catastrophic this off season in its breadth and scale and the way it is effecting the outcome of games. The referees are buying every bit of it and are causing major momentum swings and hindering teams from doing what they need to do. Something has to be done before next season starts. It makes the game frustrating as hell to watch.

Now we know why Stern wants kids attending college before they come to the NBA. They need to take a drama class or three.

As far as I'm concerned Manu Ginobelli is the Charlton Heston/Jack Nicholson/Denzel Washington of the NBA. The man has turned his acting into an art form beyond Broadway plays and feature films.

But if every game deserves an Academy Award for Best Actor then the Oscar goes to...(opens envelope)... Zaza Pachulia for his work in Atlanta 97 Boston 92. Let's take a look at the film.

Perk with the ball in three point territory holding the ball over his head with two hands, he turns, and even though Pachulia is about six inches away from Perkins elbow he draws the foul with a picture perfect fall and facial expression. And his selling of the grevious injury was classic. True Oscar form.

Later in the film we see Zaza draping himself over the shoulder of one Kevin Garnett and grabbing on to him well after the whistle blows. As Garnett pushes Pachulia back notice the picture perfect 5 foot fall away from Garnett and instant releasing of his hold on KG. Truly deserving of a Lifetime Achievement Award.

But the best part of the film and definitely in the Academy's eyes the part that secured him the Oscar. Watch Pachulia as he pretends to be a tough guy and proceeds to yell at Kevin while doing the tough guy thing of head butting the man and then letting a 5'11" 180 pound man push him back away from KG with Herculian strength.

All said probably one of the best performances of this or any year.

I am beginning to think teams set up a 'flopping class' in practice now. It is way out of hand. The refs are so gullible to buy into it too. Disgusting.

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 12:47:21 PM »

Offline RickyDavisfor3

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
to answer your question; your not the only one who saw a flop, everybody watching the play saw a flop, whether they noticed it at the time or not.

i saw it, and posted about how i saw it, in one of those 'should they be suspended' threads. so yea i agree with you Zaza is an absolutely horrible name.

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 01:53:17 PM »

Offline biggs1221

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
I didnt even see any real force or contact with KGs motions.  He was essentially pulling his arm up and away from Zaza, who was all over him, and Zaza goes flying back.  If anything, KG was just pushing the guy off him (which occurs in rebounding action) and did not swing his elbow as to strike him with it.

Also we have some precedents for it being a flop.  I am certain that at least once before in the series, Zaza did a super dramatic flop - and actually got the call.  Anyway, the flopping and officiating are all sickening.  If anyone should be suspended its Zaza for his dramatics, which incited the skirmish.

I also love how Zaza gets up after his dramatics and gets in KG's face, as if he is a tough guy now or was standing up for himself.  He tries to push people around, and when people push back (although, again I dont even really think it was a push) he makes a big deal about it.  Just sickening and shameful
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 01:58:25 PM by biggs1221 »

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 01:57:26 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
No I don't think it was a flop. Suprise? Sure. Flop? No.