Author Topic: Game 4 turning points  (Read 2998 times)

Game 4 turning points
« on: April 29, 2008, 12:06:52 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
If I had to blame or pick turning points during the game, they would be:

1)Two quick/mysterious fouls on the Cs right after our fast start

2)Sub for RR late in the 3rd quarter(Cs up by 10)

3)Lack of rebounding -- under 2 mins, ATL had 3 offensive rebounds in one critical possesion

...what are yours...

Re: Game 4 turning points
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 12:09:45 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
To me, the big one is the lack of defensive pressure created at the point of Atlanta's attack at the begining of the 4th quarter. 

Only two players on the Celtic can create that.  Rondo and Tony. 

Hawks got their offense rolling again, and it carried through the rest of of the 4th quarter. 

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 12:10:22 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
or instead of blaiming others, maybe it was their lack of execution on the offensive end.  each time they got big leads they stopped moving the ball.  they stopped penetrating and looking for kick outs.  they instead settled for multiple jump shots, frequently off of one pass.

or maybe it was their horrible defense, yet again.  under this, i file their horrible rebounding as well.

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 12:14:23 PM »

Offline Tommy Gun

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
Lack of foul calls on the hawks

Lack of Free throws made by the Cs

Lack of a Double team on Johnson in the 4th (also lack of Tony Allen on Johnson)Ray Allen is'nt up to the task
See, this is why I'm not allowed to announce NBA games -- I'd be talking in the Cookie Monster voice right now:

Ahhhhhhhhhh ... my knee hurts ... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh ... me don't like when my knee hurts ...

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 12:45:02 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
The Celts had numerous chances to deflate the Hawks and failed to...Or more to the point the Hawks refused to be deflated.  The Hawks rattling off 5 quick points to start the 4th was huge and got the crowd back into it immediately (and you can't tell me the crowd wasn't somewhat resolved to the fine effort their team had made, but the Celts were just plain better and had finally shown that in the 3rd). 

I also point to the Celts fast start, and as great as it was, they still failed to capitalize on several very makable inside shots.

One other biggy was KG's traveling call early in the 4th.  I still haven't seen what he did there.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 12:50:04 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
If we are talking about turning points I would have to point out the Rondo breakaway foul/ no call. It seemed like the Celtics were going to put the Halks away early and that play appeared to change the whole momentum.

The second one I keep thinking of is the loss of defensive focus between the end of the 3rd and start of the 4th quarters. It went from them not being able to get off a shot, to Joe Johnson doing whatever he wanted to do.

I personally think that was a really bad time to sub out Rondo.

Lastly, and this really isn't a turning point, why is it taht no one knocked Johnson on his ass? I mean how many times can you let a guy go to the hoop uncontested? I noticed Pierce getting beat up pretty good when he goes to the hole. Maybe JJ has to change his game a little. But that's a whole nother topic.

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 01:10:52 PM »

Offline hbhsbball15

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 9
One other biggy was KG's traveling call early in the 4th.  I still haven't seen what he did there.

It was actually a pretty easy call, such that donny and mike even admitted it.  He started with one foot down picked up the ball to make a pass and took three steps forward and just kept going.  It was actually pretty blatant.

But my biggest turning point was when rondo went up for that dunk and got fouled with no call.  This was a four point turn around that really got the crowd back into the game.  With all the flops that are being called in the NBA now how do you not call it when a guy gets taken out from behind on a breakaway dunk.   

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 01:17:32 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

It was actually a pretty easy call, such that donny and mike even admitted it.  He started with one foot down picked up the ball to make a pass and took three steps forward and just kept going.  It was actually pretty blatant.

But my biggest turning point was when rondo went up for that dunk and got fouled with no call.  This was a four point turn around that really got the crowd back into the game.  With all the flops that are being called in the NBA now how do you not call it when a guy gets taken out from behind on a breakaway dunk.   
Thanks.  I literally didn't see it, just heard the call, and I don't think they showed a replay.
Yup