Author Topic: Is anyone in the media talking about the head butt?  (Read 4714 times)

Is anyone in the media talking about the head butt?
« on: April 29, 2008, 10:42:18 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I was just looking on ESPN, no mention of the head butt.  It is all about suspending KG.

Same thing on Mike and Mike this morning. 

I haven't looked around more yet, but is this being ignored by the media?

Re: Is anyone in the media talking about the head butt?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 10:50:32 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I heard something about Stern making the Celtics play game 5 with one armed tied behind their backs, and Pierce would only be able to use 3 fingers on his shooting hand.  ::)

Are they really getting on KG being suspended?  That's just bullpucky!  Hey, maybe the Celts can use the "World against Us" thing for their benefit somehow.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 10:57:12 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
the highlights this morning on espn showed no part of the headbutt, just an exaggerated slow down of both perk walking off the bench and KG bumping an offical.

ESPN implied stern should suspend them both, if the nba wants to keep in line with last years suns-spurs level of disipline.

ESPN is, of course, playing up the david vs golith angle.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 11:08:27 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
the highlights this morning on espn showed no part of the headbutt, just an exaggerated slow down of both perk walking off the bench and KG bumping an offical.

ESPN implied stern should suspend them both, if the nba wants to keep in line with last years suns-spurs level of disipline.

ESPN is, of course, playing up the david vs golith angle.

Anybody wanna guess what network is carrying Game 6 and the potential Game 7?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 11:32:24 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
I heard something about Stern making the Celtics play game 5 with one armed tied behind their backs, and Pierce would only be able to use 3 fingers on his shooting hand.   ::)

Are they really getting on KG being suspended?  That's just bullpucky!  Hey, maybe the Celts can use the "World against Us" thing for their benefit somehow.

if Gerald Green can do it with 4.5 I bet pierce could do it with 3 :)

in all seriousness, KG was an idiot for being physical with a ref.  that is just stupid.  if he is suspended, they should appeal it so that he can play in game 5, then accept it and sit out game 6. 

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 11:37:44 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
and Pierce would only be able to use 3 fingers on his shooting hand

No, that would just lead to another $25K fine.  ::)

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 11:42:08 AM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108
I heard something about Stern making the Celtics play game 5 with one armed tied behind their backs, and Pierce would only be able to use 3 fingers on his shooting hand.   ::)

if Gerald Green can do it with 4.5 I bet pierce could do it with 3 :)

in all seriousness, KG was an idiot for being physical with a ref.  that is just stupid.  if he is suspended, they should appeal it so that he can play in game 5, then accept it and sit out game 6. 

Refs should not be able to grab players then either. They better suspend the ref as well.

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 11:42:41 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
here is ESPN's "objective" reporting of the incedient.

To make matters worse for the Celtics, Garnett's and Kendrick Perkins' Game 5 status is up in the air for their involvement in a second-quarter skirmish. Garnett instigated the incident and even re-entered the fray, while Perkins stepped on the floor from the bench. Atlanta forward Marvin Williams could be sitting, too, for stepping on the floor from the bench.

With no Garnett and no Perkins, a bad situation would instantly become worse for Boston.

"I'm sure if there is some relevance, then we're going to have to deal with it," Celtics guard Ray Allen said.

Bostonians will never forget the New England Patriots losing to the New York Giants in the Super Bowl this year. New Englanders will never forget the ball going through Red Sox first baseman Bill Buckner's legs in the 1986 World Series. And if the Celtics lose to the Hawks, they would never forget one of the greatest falls from grace not only in Boston or NBA history but in sports history, period.

best part is that they blame the whole thing on KG, i guess headbutting a guy isn't a reason to get ticked anymore. We should just headbutt josh smith whenever we want.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 11:45:54 AM »

Offline X Man

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
  • One Game At A Time
Top reasons why none of this should surprise us:

1. ESPN has the next game and if you want to generate ratings and heavy word of mouth in order to  get what I call pedestrian tune-ins you have to create controversy, this works. (I mean, we're here posting about right??)

2. The NBA needs to justify its very flawed playoff system, I can see David Stern now saying over the summer, "See anything can happen in the playoffs, weather you're a 1 seed or an 8 seed, look at the Hawks vs Celtics series"  not caring one bit about how much this undermines the purpose of the regular season as long as he generates more playoff ratings for the league.  Which, by the way, is the bread and butter of its TV deals...

3. There is no higher drama in sports than to have a meltdown by a superior and heavily favored team and if any subplot can fuel the fire, then so be it.

So I say all of that to say this, our accomplishments have been thrown in the media back burner pretty much all season, with the exception of the Texas Triangle sweep so its a waste of time to think they're gonna show us any love now. This team and we the fans need to understand that the media outlets are only interested in doing whatever is necessary for them to maximize revenue....
On the road to immortality

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 11:49:29 AM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108
Top reasons why none of this should surprise us:

1. ESPN has the next game and if you want to generate ratings and heavy word of mouth in order to  get what I call pedestrian tune-ins you have to create controversy, this works. (I mean, we're here posting about right??)

2. The NBA needs to justify its very flawed playoff system, I can see David Stern now saying over the summer, "See anything can happen in the playoffs, weather you're a 1 seed or an 8 seed, look at the Hawks vs Celtics series"  not caring one bit about how much this undermines the purpose of the regular season as long as he generates more playoff ratings for the league.  Which, by the way, is the bread and butter of its TV deals...

3. There is no higher drama in sports than to have a meltdown by a superior and heavily favored team and if any subplot can fuel the fire, then so be it.

So I say all of that to say this, our accomplishments have been thrown in the media back burner pretty much all season, with the exception of the Texas Triangle sweep so its a waste of time to think they're gonna show us any love now. This team and we the fans need to understand that the media outlets are only interested in doing whatever is necessary for them to maximize revenue....

These are good reasons why Stern and the NBA have manipulated the refs to blatantly give calls in Hawks' favor. It seems that is what they are doing because that is the only thing that could make sense of the 'reffing' this series. It probably should not have mattered this much and the C's should have gotten through it but it is a factor.

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 12:04:44 PM »

Offline jimmyt

• Author
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 2500
i really cant see any suspensions happening from that incedent. Pachulia didnt really headbut Garnett, just got up in his face. Garnett literally elbowed Pachulia, thats it. if any one of those players gets suspended for that then I'm going to have a huge problem with the NBA. Garnett didnt do anything to hurt the referee, he was trying to defend his teammates at the time.

Stern has taken away showing emotion on the court and it really is a sad thing. Seems like players cant do anything anymore without a suspension or fine. It's a different game then it was when Bird and co. were playing.

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 12:11:49 PM »

Offline Tommy Gun

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
I got to disagree with you here..ZAZA did hit KG with his deformed forehead so it was technically a head butt...Not a very hard shot but he made contact none the less..

Classic cheap shot a crappy bench player tries to get KG out of the game...The celtics should have sent there own physical message with Baby or PJ..Instead now the game is going to be played under a microscope
See, this is why I'm not allowed to announce NBA games -- I'd be talking in the Cookie Monster voice right now:

Ahhhhhhhhhh ... my knee hurts ... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh ... me don't like when my knee hurts ...

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 12:36:49 PM »

Offline jimmyt

• Author
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 2500
here is ESPN's "objective" reporting of the incedient.

To make matters worse for the Celtics, Garnett's and Kendrick Perkins' Game 5 status is up in the air for their involvement in a second-quarter skirmish. Garnett instigated the incident and even re-entered the fray, while Perkins stepped on the floor from the bench. Atlanta forward Marvin Williams could be sitting, too, for stepping on the floor from the bench.

With no Garnett and no Perkins, a bad situation would instantly become worse for Boston.

"I'm sure if there is some relevance, then we're going to have to deal with it," Celtics guard Ray Allen said.

Bostonians will never forget the New England Patriots losing to the New York Giants in the Super Bowl this year. New Englanders will never forget the ball going through Red Sox first baseman Bill Buckner's legs in the 1986 World Series. And if the Celtics lose to the Hawks, they would never forget one of the greatest falls from grace not only in Boston or NBA history but in sports history, period.

best part is that they blame the whole thing on KG, i guess headbutting a guy isn't a reason to get ticked anymore. We should just headbutt josh smith whenever we want.

that article was a special to espn.com written by Marc Spears, Celtics beat writer. You really cant blame ESPN for that article.