Author Topic: Where's the faith?  (Read 6208 times)

Where's the faith?
« on: April 29, 2008, 09:16:57 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
Come on guys, did any of you watch the Red Sox playoff runs in '04 and '07?     

Things don't always go as planned.  So what, the Celtics didn't get the sweep.  So what, they will have to go 6 or maybe 7.  This does not mean all is lost nor does it mean that they can't right the ship and still win #17.

Frustration is understandable after the last 2 games, but come on ... DO NOT LOSE FAITH!

Re: Where's the faith?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 09:19:30 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Are you trying to compare the teams the Red Soxs faced with the Hawks?

It would be like being 2-2 with the Devil Rays.

I believe the Celtics are much more talented then the Hawks. 

I believe that the Celtics should have put the Hawks away already. 

Neither has been shown the last two games. 

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 09:27:12 AM »

Offline Petro

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 6
I agree to a degree after the game last night I was disgusted at thier performance in the fourth quarter.I am still kind of dissapointed.But just playing game 5 in Boston makes me feel alot better.I think we rise to the occassion(with or without Garnett/Perkins) we win game 5 at home hands down.The question I have is can we win a game in Atlanta? For the first time this year the Celts looked rattled on the road no composure whats so ever.

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 09:30:58 AM »

Offline Hrvoje

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
I don't have problem with us going to round 2 from 6. or 7. game.

Believe it or not, I'm worried that will not happen.

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 09:37:50 AM »

Offline Pawtucket Pat

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21

It's not like that at all (and not just because the Devil Rays are actually pretty good these days). All season long against us, the Hawks have been a team that has consistently hung in there even as the Celts have given them their best shot. They are very, very talented, and, maybe more importantly, young and hungry. Josh Smith and Joe Johnson are two of the better young players in the game, and Al Horford has a championship pedigree from college that matches his talent. Throw in the veteran leadership of the hated Mike Bibby, and you've got a team that is very, very good. In fact, in 3 or 4 years, these two teams might be reversed, with the Hawks as one of the best teams in the league and the Celtics (once KG and Allen have passed their prime/retired) will be scrappy underdogs.

Many, many great teams have been taken to the brink by scrappy, hungry underdogs in the first round over the years. You're 'sky is falling' self-righteous attitude about steamrolling a talented team isn't going to help. The Celtics will still take care of business, but don't discount the Hawks. They are a talented team. This isn't a fluke.

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 09:42:40 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
You can't compare the Hawks with the Yankees and Indians. That's completely disrespectful to both teams.

We're getting worked by a terrible team and it's absolutely pathetic. KG is playing like a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. right now, Paul is being cocky, and Ray is just not that great anymore.

Hard to have faith when the best team in the league is getting worked by a team that doesn't even deserve to be in the playoffs. Kind of makes me wish we still had Al... at least he wasn't a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. like KG.

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 09:42:52 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

It's not like that at all (and not just because the Devil Rays are actually pretty good these days). All season long against us, the Hawks have been a team that has consistently hung in there even as the Celts have given them their best shot. They are very, very talented, and, maybe more importantly, young and hungry. Josh Smith and Joe Johnson are two of the better young players in the game, and Al Horford has a championship pedigree from college that matches his talent. Throw in the veteran leadership of the hated Mike Bibby, and you've got a team that is very, very good. In fact, in 3 or 4 years, these two teams might be reversed, with the Hawks as one of the best teams in the league and the Celtics (once KG and Allen have passed their prime/retired) will be scrappy underdogs.

Many, many great teams have been taken to the brink by scrappy, hungry underdogs in the first round over the years. You're 'sky is falling' self-righteous attitude about steamrolling a talented team isn't going to help. The Celtics will still take care of business, but don't discount the Hawks. They are a talented team. This isn't a fluke.

The Hawks are a sub 500 team that the Celtics beat by double digits every game. 

They were not hanging with the Celtics.  They were getting stomped on.  There is no reason that the stomping should have stopped on the road against this team. 

Celtics still pull out this series, but have major questions to answer moving forward. 

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 09:45:12 AM »

Offline MrsNumba17

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 17
  • I Love NUMBA 17 !
I think we'll take games 5 & 6.
It was just discouraging to see my C's get dominated like that.
I thought we already established who we were and then being beat like that in game 3 & 4??? it was a heart break for me.
"A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals"
~Larry Bird

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 09:46:16 AM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352

"you have to have "Faith"...for this to work on me...Mr Vincent"...

« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 10:35:08 AM by BASSTHUMPER »

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 09:57:09 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I remember 2003, too. 

Inferior coach + tight games = not what we were hoping for

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 10:02:39 AM »

Offline Pawtucket Pat

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21

The Hawks are a sub 500 team that the Celtics beat by double digits every game. 

They were not hanging with the Celtics.  They were getting stomped on.  There is no reason that the stomping should have stopped on the road against this team. 

Celtics still pull out this series, but have major questions to answer moving forward. 

They're a young team coming into their own; the regular season brought some growing experiences for them, but everyone is blaming the Celts and not giving the Hawks credit for hanging in there. They could have easily rolled over and given up in every game against us this year, but they hang around and hang around. While I agree the Celtics shouldn't have let them get back in it, you need to give credit where credit is due as well. The sky is not falling; there are issues to address and I believe we will address them and move on.

Also, saying they lost by double-digits is a little disingenuous as they lost by exactly 10 points the last two times out, and in the second game especially they looked pretty darn good.

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 10:03:38 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
The one positive to be taken from this is that the sub-par play (and perhaps sub-par effort?) is happening during this Atlanta series.  Hopefully this means they can get this out of their system and start playing the way they know how to play in time for Round 2 and beyond...

They are clearly having trouble with the athleticism of these young Hawks players, but I think they have enough to advance.  Strangely enough, this could end up being the C's toughest series when it is all said and done.

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 10:30:24 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
faith is earned, so far this team, as much as i lvoe them, has done zero to earn any faith.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 10:40:26 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
faith is earned, so far this team, as much as i lvoe them, has done zero to earn any faith.

Really?  Zero?  I understand the huge doubts this team has raised so far in the playoffs, but they are an extremely talented, veteran team.  I'm not jumping off the deep end yet.  We have a 3 game series against the Hawks with two at the Garden.  I'm still confident we're gonna win.  And to the people that say we're not going to win it all now after the last two games just don't make sense.  Every series is an entity in itself.  All year we've struggled with young, athletic teams.  This series will have nothing to do with the next one if we make it there.  I also like the Sox analogy.  How was everyone feeling after game 3 of the 2004 ALCS, like the Sox were gonna be champions?  No way.  But you know what, it happened, and this team is not done yet.  Lose faith when they've lost four games in one series, and only then. 
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 10:45:32 AM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
i been with this team when we had dino radja..when walker was capt then walker was joined by paul..and then greald green and jefferson was here...faith falls into a greater word that i would use to describe what i feel for this team...loyalty

faith fades away after disappointments..loyalty is a symbol..it stands...