Author Topic: Let's vent....objectively  (Read 15546 times)

Re: Let's vent....objectively
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2008, 12:15:42 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I still haven't said a word and my dog is afraid of me. I think he senses I might be just a tad bit homicidal right now!!!
My dog's afraid of shadows.

Not really relevant, but it makes me feel better talking about it.

My dog is scared of the wind, but still gives me no respect when I yell at her.  Don't really know how that works. 

My dog is dead... :'(

My good ol' dog is dead...His replacement is afraid of shadows.  Sweet dog, but dumb as nails!  I miss ol' Buddy boy  :'(  (this is called shifting your emotional focus or something in psychology I believe)
Yup

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2008, 12:17:54 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Will anyone else be happy to hear Tommy's voice with Mike's on Wednesday?

Absolutely! TP for that one! I was longing to hear Tommy ripping these shameful refs a new one ... and he would have tonight, man!

Oh good god, Donny needed a slappin' tonight.  "Well, both have done pretty much what's expected of them so far by winning on their homecourt."  Heh???  A 66 win team vs. a team with a losing record?  I'd say there was a bit higher expectation than dropping two in Atlanta for the C's.  Sheesh.

Totally, Redz (TP) ... Donnie needed a good whackin' ... way too complacent and neutral, and not nearly as biased as we require. I was watching with my (81 year-old) Mom, (who I call the biggest C fan of all time), and she kept throwing her ginger-snaps at the television every time Donnie would say inane things, (you'd have to meet her to know how truly out of character that is). Needless to say there was a bit of a mess to clean up following the game ... and I really was not in the mood. This horrible loss and crumbled cookies ... what's next?!? All I need now is to hear Reggie Miller spitting through his version of "English" during a playoff game! (Oh no ... please tell me this isn't happening!) Time for my cold shower ... I'll be back.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2008, 12:19:47 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Will anyone else be happy to hear Tommy's voice with Mike's on Wednesday?

Absolutely! TP for that one! I was longing to hear Tommy ripping these shameful refs a new one ... and he would have tonight, man!

Oh good god, Donny needed a slappin' tonight.  "Well, both have done pretty much what's expected of them so far by winning on their homecourt."  Heh???  A 66 win team vs. a team with a losing record?  I'd say there was a bit higher expectation than dropping two in Atlanta for the C's.  Sheesh.

Totally, Redz (TP) ... Donnie needed a good whackin' ... way too complacent and neutral, and not nearly as biased as we require. I was watching with my (81 year-old) Mom, (who I call the biggest C fan of all time), and she kept throwing her ginger-snaps at the television every time Donnie would say inane things, (you'd have to meet her to know how truly out of character that is). Needless to say there was a bit of a mess to clean up following the game ... and I really was not in the mood. This horrible loss and crumbled cookies ... what's next?!? All I need now is to hear Reggie Miller spitting through his version of "English" during a playoff game! (Oh no ... please tell me this isn't happening!) Time for my cold shower ... I'll be back.

Excellent visual of the 81 year old mom throwing ginger snaps at the TV! lol...thanks for that
Yup

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2008, 12:21:38 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I  started to write down the bad calls against the Celtics in the first half because they were getting ridiculous. WD is right the Celts did overcome that bad half of officiating and handed back to Atlanta when the refs started calling a fair game in the second half. I will only say that if these really bad calls hadn't gone against the C's maybe Atlanta would have been trying to come back from a 20 pt 3rd quarter deficit instead of ten.

-Garnett's 2nd foul on Smith on a layup. Garnett jumped out of Smith's way and never even touched the guy.

-The non goal tending call against the Hawks after the C's had laid the ball off the glass.

-Rondo's 2nd foul where Horford set a moving pick and was leaning in all at the same time but Rondo got called for touching Bibby while falling.

-Perk's first foul where ZAZA just flopped after Perk turned his upper body. Perks elbow wasn't with 4 inches of Pachulia.

- The non call on Childress for barreling over a set Big Baby on a drive from the far baseline.

- The non call on the contact on Cassell when he faked his man in the air and they guy landed on him while Sam continued to shoot.

- ZAZA not getting ejected for making an obvious flagrant "menacing gesture" of headbutting KG and then the refs going to the Atlanta tv feed to review the confrontation.

- Non calls on Pachulia going over the top on the offensive boards about three times in a row.

- Non calls on Bibby constantly pushing off with his lead arm.

And all this was within a ten minute span from 2 minutes left in the 1st to 4 minutes left in the 2nd. At that point I stopped writing.

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2008, 01:19:14 AM »

Offline OriginalODb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 31
I think its my fault, Ive been a member for a couple months and have been visiting the site for awhile but I just recently decided to start posting

Record before I posted anything: 68-16
Record Since: 0-2

So consider this my last post until the Celtics have won a championship

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2008, 01:33:52 AM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
ZAZA not getting ejected for making an obvious flagrant "menacing gesture" of headbutting KG and then the refs going to the Atlanta tv feed to review the confrontation.

Unreal.  He made a fist and put his head in against Garnett's.  It let the Hawks know that they can pretty much be as aggressive as they want.  

In Doc's halftime speech he said don't take it upon yourself to win it.  It's a team thing.  IMO, that's the reason we lose.  Our stars are afraid to take over the game.  Meanwhile Joe Johnson score 38 in 3 minutes and we lose.  EVERY championship team has had games were ONE player decides he's going to take over.  We are not Bill Russell's C's, we aren't that good.  We are more like Bird's C's.  Bird would have went off tonight until they decided they needed to double team.  The problem is you can't change your style of play this late.

We are not athletic, they are the most athletic team.  Perkins is a non factor....ah screw it.  

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2008, 01:46:50 AM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108
I  started to write down the bad calls against the Celtics in the first half because they were getting ridiculous. WD is right the Celts did overcome that bad half of officiating and handed back to Atlanta when the refs started calling a fair game in the second half. I will only say that if these really bad calls hadn't gone against the C's maybe Atlanta would have been trying to come back from a 20 pt 3rd quarter deficit instead of ten.

-Garnett's 2nd foul on Smith on a layup. Garnett jumped out of Smith's way and never even touched the guy.

-The non goal tending call against the Hawks after the C's had laid the ball off the glass.

-Rondo's 2nd foul where Horford set a moving pick and was leaning in all at the same time but Rondo got called for touching Bibby while falling.

-Perk's first foul where ZAZA just flopped after Perk turned his upper body. Perks elbow wasn't with 4 inches of Pachulia.

- The non call on Childress for barreling over a set Big Baby on a drive from the far baseline.

- The non call on the contact on Cassell when he faked his man in the air and they guy landed on him while Sam continued to shoot.

- ZAZA not getting ejected for making an obvious flagrant "menacing gesture" of headbutting KG and then the refs going to the Atlanta tv feed to review the confrontation.

- Non calls on Pachulia going over the top on the offensive boards about three times in a row.

- Non calls on Bibby constantly pushing off with his lead arm.

And all this was within a ten minute span from 2 minutes left in the 1st to 4 minutes left in the 2nd. At that point I stopped writing.

Usually a team that comes into the playoffs 1st in the league gets the better end of the calls, for whatever reason not this one. And some blatant calls that you mentioned. And not just this game it goes back to at least game 2.  It is out of hand! The C's should have played better, yes. Basically the Hawks seem to be allowed to do whatever they want and they know it. I know they are not completely to blame but this reffing has me angry this whole series so far. The refs this whole series have been blatantly in the Hawks favor and hoping for this result. Congrats they got it.

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2008, 03:30:50 AM »

Offline X Man

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
  • One Game At A Time
Wow that detailed account of the calls highlight just how ridiculous this game was called.  This deserves the old slogan "The NBA...is FAAN-tastic!!!
On the road to immortality

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2008, 06:17:00 AM »

Offline Hollywood

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
I am still on the Celtics bandwagon. They will win game 5 with a great effort and KG will be doing his jedi thing.   

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2008, 07:24:35 AM »

Offline The Big 3

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
Am I crazy to speculate that because of the ridiculous spread between Celtics and Hawks after the first two games - one of the refs was: 1) ordered by his/her mob master to manipulate the outcome 2) decided to make some of his own bets?

The call yesterdady was outrageous - with Stern and Stu sitting in the stadium. WoW it was really hard to swallow - I sat in my couch for 45 minutes after the game, with TV off...I wish I was able to watch the game on Comcast so at least Tommy will be there to scold the reffing
It's our job (fans) to point out what is wrong with the team, it's the coach's job NOT to listen to us.

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2008, 07:40:37 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Okay, I'm awake and actually talking again and my dog doesn't think I'm going to kill it anymore. So let's get back to what I set this up as initially. An objective way of looking at things while being p---ed off all at the same time.

The more I thought about the game this morning while shaving and showering(yes, again) and the more I thought about it, the more I realized that the more that the group of players that decided to show up at the Phillips Arena over the last 2 games resembled the team I've watched all year in no way at all.

Now, I'm not trying to blame what happened entirely on the players. Doc, the shot clock, the refs, the crowd and the Hawks had something to do with what transpired also. But the players suddenly looked like the same team that lost back to backers against Washington and less like the group that stormed through Texas.

I don't know if the first two games lulled them into a false sense of superiority but the players did not do what they've been doing all year.

The amount of three pointers that was hoisted up over the last 2 games that were out of the normal flow of the offense were about the same number as would be hoisted up over a two to three week stretch in the regular season.

The perimeter defense was just awful and to pile on top of that, when the perimeter defense did show up and the Hawks drove to the basket, the help defense and rotation underneath was non existent.

Free throws, free throws, free throws. This time of year is when the free throw percentage should be rising as a team not plummeting.

Can someone please box out on the defensive boards. Now the Celtics weren't exactly the best defensive rebounding team in the league and have had some trouble with this before, but please, there were times when the Hawks were getting 3 and four possessions on one trip down the floor.

Now, this team has shown great resiliency in bouncing back into form from mini slumps all year and proven they can play playoff caliber ball for extended periods of time(meant games) against high quality opponents. I would expect no less at this, one of the more critical junctures of the post season and have hopefully gotten their playoff mini slump out of the way.

Or at least can overcome it if it continues.

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2008, 07:44:34 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Am I crazy to speculate that because of the ridiculous spread between Celtics and Hawks after the first two games - one of the refs was: 1) ordered by his/her mob master to manipulate the outcome 2) decided to make some of his own bets?

The call yesterdady was outrageous - with Stern and Stu sitting in the stadium. WoW it was really hard to swallow - I sat in my couch for 45 minutes after the game, with TV off...I wish I was able to watch the game on Comcast so at least Tommy will be there to scold the reffing
Let's throw Ted Turner's hat into the conspiracy ring.  Those confounded Hot-lantans always had it out for us honest hard-workin' Bostonians.

Yup

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2008, 08:12:23 AM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
Ok, I had a shower an hour ago, now I'm starting to get mad again, after the first loss, I thought it was like a wake-up call for us. Now this one...I just can't swallow this loss. As a fan, I can't bare it. How can the coach and players not come out firing in game 5, (now I'm starting to feel a little better). But still, I can't believe we lost this game, I didn't watch it but I think I would be pretty right saying we lost because the hawks simply wanted it more than us (apart from the refs-I think we still should've won despite biased calls, but then I didn't watch it). I'm so furious and disappointed...
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2008, 10:51:07 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Pretty relaxed and mellow this morning.  Was more frustrated than anything last night.  I didn't jump off the dead-end or start "Celtics Suck" threads.  I accepted it and got a decent night's sleep.  C's are finally going home and I really feel that the Hawks played out of their minds AT HOME the past two games and they will be unable to sustain that momentum back in Boston.  They haven't done anything to convince me they can beat the C's away from Phillips Arena and I sense a rockin', geared up crowd tomorrow night.  I see a focused veteran Celtics team coming out and systematically taking care of business.  The free throws should improve and there will be an absolute diminished tendency for no calls in the Hawks favor playing in Boston.  As long as they step it up on the defensive end and get away from the "settle for jumpshots" tendency, C's win Game 5.  Maybe its overconfidence on my part, but this team is just too good to allow a young, upstart Hawks team to win on the C's homecourt and allow them to grab control of the series. 

Being a fan is be able to ride the roller coaster of emotion.  Dealt with it for years growing up and around Boston.  I'm not ready to quit on this team or panic.  There's too much basketball yet to be played.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2008, 10:58:14 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
I've been hooting and hollering for months about "wanting some competition".  Careful what I wish for!  As frustrating as seeing the C's lose these two games have been, I'm honestly glad to see them playing a team who is playing at their peak.  We may not like the results but for better or worse we'll finally see the real makeup of this Celtics team.  If they're impostors then they'll be exposed. 

Joe Johnson's offense was absolutely huge last night, but honestly the two games in Atlanta had a lot more to do with Josh Smith's presence.  He has the Celtics seeing ghosts out there every time they shoot in the paint.

Atlanta's got a lot to be proud of.  They had a couple of chances to fold up the tents last night and refused to.  Kudos to the Hawks.

NOW COME ON CELTS!

Is a pretty please with sugar on top out of line here?
Yup