Author Topic: Do players ever read this blog?  (Read 8237 times)

Do players ever read this blog?
« on: April 28, 2008, 03:50:53 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
Do you guys think any Celtics are ever surfing the web and they stumble upon celticsblog?  I know if I was a Celtic I would be very interested in seeing what my fans think of me and the team.  We know that rondo is a blogger and Big Baby has too. 

Maybe Pierce is currently reading the "gang signs" thread about him and laughing about it.  Maybe hes p---ed off.  Maybe after every single game the first thing that he does when he gets back to his hotel room is check celticsblog to see what his fans are talking about. 

What if Scal is actually a blogger who just doesn't tell us his true identity.

I bet every once in a while Danny Ainge comes on to check out what his fans are thinking about the team.

What do you guys think?
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

Re: Do players ever read this blog?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 03:55:21 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
i've had this thought before. if i were a player, i'd definitely create an anonymous profile and get feedback. then again, i probably wouldn't.

i think players have come across this before, celticsblog isn't exactly an unknown site. it's expanding. soon it will (and rightly so) overtake myspace. maybe not, but that'd be sweet.

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 03:56:05 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Will the real Brian Scalabrine please stand up!

I think it would make me crazy reading through this if I was a player. 
Yup

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 03:58:09 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Every once in a blue moon. I'd be surprised if Danny didn't have someone low in his front office check out all the Celtics sites, some good ideas and debates here.

Remember Larry Harris in Milwaukee? He was reading Hoopshype and saw a false rumour that his team was trying to acquire Jamaal Magloire. He thought to himself, what a good idea, I'll try that, and he traded for Magloire. He credited Hoopshype for the inspiration. Said he regularly checks it for ideas and information.

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 04:09:21 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Good thing is that Gerald, Scal and doc knows Im only kidding.....

:-[

;D ;)
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 04:25:10 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I don't know how much downtime the guys have or how into the net they really get, but if I were a player, I think my rookie year I'd be tempted to see what is being written, but after so long you'd tune it out - just like I doubt the players listen to sportsradio much or even read the paper - the criticism tends to come easily and the praise is often few and far between, I think it would be numbing to read these things daily
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 04:27:43 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

;)

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 04:28:25 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Exactly, Redz ... TP. If I were a player, who thrived on positive energy and support from my fans, this is the last place I'd go. No sane man could handle the bashing and "selective surgery" we perform on their character and performance. Good NBA players work daily on bolstering their confidence and self-respect, and that would require staying as far away from blogs as possible. (They might end up throwing hand gestures, or something!)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 04:33:39 PM »

Offline Hrvoje

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
Do players ever read this blog?

No. Because you can't find CelticsBlog on the Google currently. LOL

If you can't find something on the Google, it almost equals that thing doesn't exist (on the web anyway)

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 04:42:28 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

Exactly, Redz ... TP. If I were a player, who thrived on positive energy and support from my fans, this is the last place I'd go. No sane man could handle the bashing and "selective surgery" we perform on their character and performance. Good NBA players work daily on bolstering their confidence and self-respect, and that would require staying as far away from blogs as possible. (They might end up throwing hand gestures, or something!)

I'm certainly hearing ya on this one, Bahku.  I know how often I change my opinions and waffle back on forth on many of the subjects we talk about on a daily basis here.  Imagining reading a whole community of folks going back and forth -- only with the subject matter being my work and personal life -- wow, what a roller coaster ride that would be.

Sometimes it's fun for folks to have a pulse on how they are perceived...but it strikes me as the sort of thing that would be more of a rare 'guilty pleasure, let's check my approval among the masses today' than anything else.  But hey, that's just one man's perception, and I certainly have no idea how the folks on this Celts team feel.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 04:57:10 PM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
I'm awfully surprised with some of the contacts established through this site there's never been a contribution from an ex Celt or coach, well not that I've seen anyway. This place is perfect as is, don't get me wrong, but a weekly contribution from someone who misses the limelight of the playing days and feels like chiming in sure would be something to look forward to.

Where's Never Nervous when you need him?

"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 04:58:20 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
several people in the Celtics front office are CelticsBlog fans but I'm told Danny isn't big on blogs - kinda rolls his eyes at us  ::)

don't know anything about the players though I'm pretty sure Rondo has read an article or two based on his YardBarker profile (he's given articles a "thumbs up" before)
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 05:00:58 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I'm awfully surprised with some of the contacts established through this site there's never been a contribution from an ex Celt or coach, well not that I've seen anyway. This place is perfect as is, don't get me wrong, but a weekly contribution from someone who misses the limelight of the playing days and feels like chiming in sure would be something to look forward to.

Where's Never Nervous when you need him?

don't forget that Master PO interviewed Bill Russell for CelticsBlog this offseason

not exactly what you are getting at, but you get the idea
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 05:02:49 PM »

Offline professorperkins

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 10
Remember Larry Harris in Milwaukee? He was reading Hoopshype and saw a false rumour that his team was trying to acquire Jamaal Magloire. He thought to himself, what a good idea, I'll try that, and he traded for Magloire. He credited Hoopshype for the inspiration. Said he regularly checks it for ideas and information.

I don't know about this site, but I remember an article  popped up a couple of months ago from the Wall street Journal that said HoopsHype was pretty much required daily reading for NBA insider types. With that said, I think team specific blogs could become a great way for the team to interact directly with fans, but I'd assume most older executive types aren't too keen on that yet.

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB120605508959553157-db6pLJ6mI8qnMd7RiRcoyeTeEDQ_20090321.html?mod=rss_freethat[/url]
"Chicks dig the offensive rebound." - Max

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 05:14:25 PM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Didn't Wyc offer some kind of discounted tickets back in the day?  I thought that was pretty tight.  Then again, I could be way off on this.