Author Topic: The Playoffs Start Tonight  (Read 4492 times)

The Playoffs Start Tonight
« on: April 28, 2008, 03:08:42 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
The other day I started a thread about the Celtics having a playoff game that night and there seemed to be no "juice".  Because of the way the Celtics had been cruising through the end of the season and the first two games of the playoffs, the popular sentiment was that the game was tough to get too excited about because there victory was a forgone conclusion.  In Game 3, the Celtics and their fan base fell trap to complacency and were feasted on by a hungry Hawks team. 

Game 3 will mark the end of the cruise control Celtics.  Tonight we will, at last, see a game with some juice.  The playoffs aren't meant to be cakewalks.  The Hawks delivered their best shot, and now we'll get to see our beloved Celts are all about for the first of what I'm hoping are many emotional playoff battles. 

I'm pumped up to see how the Celtics respond tonight.  For better or worse, it will be a telling game.  As much as I love the Celtics winning in any manner, I'd rather see them beat a team that playing at their peak.  I don't believe that was the case in Games 1 & 2.

LET THE PLAYOFFS BEGIN(for real)

GO CELTS!
Yup

Re: The Playoffs Start Tonight
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 03:36:49 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I am hoping that this is a blessing in disguise for the C's.  An occasional wakeup call is good for us, particularly in light of how we won games 1 & 2 at home.  It's time to grind one out.  And hopefully, the Hawks will play great again and yet we come out on top this time so that we can show them that despite their best performance, we can still find a way to beat them in their place.

By the way, was it ever revealed why Leon Powe played so little in Game 3?

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 03:42:04 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

The best I can come up with was that Doc wanted someone to try and match the physical play with Atlanta, and Big Baby is more of a bruiser.  Not really sure.
Yup

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 03:49:04 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!

The best I can come up with was that Doc wanted someone to try and match the physical play with Atlanta, and Big Baby is more of a bruiser.  Not really sure.

Regardless, I just feel that without a severe matchup problem (which Atlanta does not present), PJ Brown needs to sit as an insurance policy and give his few minutes to Powe and Big Baby.  PJ has been completely ineffective even in the two blowouts.  Atlanta is just too athletic for him.

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 04:03:08 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I have to agree about the wake up call point. The C's had been efficiently cruising through the last month. Then game 3 happened. I think they needed a wake up.

That being said... Before the series started, I thought the Hawks would get hot, C's would get cold, and Atlanta would take 1 game. That's kind of the C's pattern, regardless of the opponent: Win 4 out of every 5 games. Sometimes the outside shots don't fall.

I too am pumped up for tonight's game!! Bring it guys!!!! Go Celtics!!!

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 11:55:09 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Well, not necessarily the result I was looking for, but it was definitely PLAYOFF basketball, and playoff intensity for the first time.  Unfortunately the Hawks handled the pressure better than the Celtics.
Yup

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 12:00:21 AM »

Offline bigtyc55

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 5
I can't believe it, it has to come to a complete 180 in game 5!

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 12:08:07 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Best of three series starts Wednesday .... hopefully the C's show up for that one!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 12:20:36 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
The playoffs start every night you have a game, you're never ahead, you're never behind, you simply have to win.

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 12:21:52 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
The playoffs start every night you have a game, you're never ahead, you're never behind, you simply have to win.

Is he waxing on, or waxing off there?
Yup

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 12:25:07 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Is he waxing on, or waxing off there?

So many redeeming qualities, Redz ... but I must say I enjoy your sense of irony the most! lol! ("Sweep the leg ... sweep the leg!")
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 01:26:01 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
What was first thought of as a playoff warmup, a joke of a series, is now perhaps the most compelling of the Playoffs.  This is going to become a big national story.  All eyes will be on this team Wednesday night in the Garden.  They haven't responded to playoff adversity well yet, let's see how they respond under the scrutiny now.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."