Author Topic: How come the Cs did'nt give one hard foul to Josh Smith in game 3???  (Read 8717 times)

Offline Tommy Gun

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
Smith had at least 6 break aways 3 or 4 which could have been contested but we let him go? Either wrap him up so he can't dunk or Hammer him at least 1 time...

Instead we let him get off then he starts hitting 3s like they are going out of style..

Washington has pounded Lebron, not to mention Pierce got his ass kicked..why do the Celts have to be the good guys...

I expect to see Smith get wrapped up in game 4 , hopefully fouled hard 1 time..Maybe Posey can under cut him going for a Dunk make him think about it at least a little
See, this is why I'm not allowed to announce NBA games -- I'd be talking in the Cookie Monster voice right now:

Ahhhhhhhhhh ... my knee hurts ... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh ... me don't like when my knee hurts ...

Re: How come the Cs did'nt give one hard foul to Josh Smith in game 3???
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 01:20:36 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Saving the energy and the hard fouls for when it really matters.

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 01:24:53 PM »

Offline Tommy Gun

• Al Horford
The crowd goes ballistic everytime he dunks..making him earn it at the line does'nt do as much for those bandwagon Atlanta fans..

Smith should hit the floor tonight..Put in PJ Brown or Baby to take care of it
See, this is why I'm not allowed to announce NBA games -- I'd be talking in the Cookie Monster voice right now:

Ahhhhhhhhhh ... my knee hurts ... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh ... me don't like when my knee hurts ...

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 01:25:47 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Call me compassionate, but the way Smith gets off the ground you might break his back on a hard foul.  I'm not opposed to the whole idea, but I was just visualizing it and I can see him really getting hurt if he gets undercut while flying to the hoop like that.
Yup

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 01:30:45 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
Smith had at least 6 break aways 3 or 4 which could have been contested but we let him go? Either wrap him up so he can't dunk or Hammer him at least 1 time...

Instead we let him get off then he starts hitting 3s like they are going out of style..

Washington has pounded Lebron, not to mention Pierce got his ass kicked..why do the Celts have to be the good guys...

I expect to see Smith get wrapped up in game 4 , hopefully fouled hard 1 time..Maybe Posey can under cut him going for a Dunk make him think about it at least a little

the celtics are not a dirty team.  additionally, losing a guy to a suspension isnt worth it.  further, you dont want your team having the reputation of being a dirty team because then the ref may be more inclined to have a quick trigger finger.  im all set with that bs.

if the celtics play the way they should be, then josh smith can keep doing what he is doing because it wont matter.  a hard foul isnt the way to play better.  injuring someone is not a good tactic.  it usually leads to retaliation and i am all set with having pierce or kg undercut on a play.

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 01:31:43 PM »

Offline Tommy Gun

• Al Horford
But its all right to kill Pierce or Rondo because they basically play under the hoop..

It would make Smith think twice about taking off

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 01:35:09 PM »

Offline Tommy Gun

• Al Horford

the celtics are not a dirty team.  additionally, losing a guy to a suspension isnt worth it.  further, you dont want your team having the reputation of being a dirty team because then the ref may be more inclined to have a quick trigger finger.  im all set with that bs.

if the celtics play the way they should be, then josh smith can keep doing what he is doing because it wont matter.  a hard foul isnt the way to play better.  injuring someone is not a good tactic.  it usually leads to retaliation and i am all set with having pierce or kg undercut on a play.

It is'nt about being dirty necessarily..All though a low bridge foul is pretty dirty..But they hammer our best guys you have to hammer there guys..

And that goes for any series not just these Hawks

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 01:48:58 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
The Hawks are clearly the inferior team in this series.  Why bother stooping to that level and risk technicals, possible suspensions, even escalation that could result in injuries?  The C's don't need to retaliate to get themselves fired up or to gain an edge.  They already are the better team and don't need a motivational tool like a hard foul to get going.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 02:06:12 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
The title says "hard" foul not "flagrant" foul.  There is a big difference.  A flagrant can escalate, or earn a suspension.  A hard foul is just a message.  It's got a place in the NBA, particularly the playoffs.  If someone is showboating you can give them a hard foul just to remind them this isn't a playground, and they aren't playing chumps.

No, don't undercut the guy, and don't powerslam him, but a good wrap-up never hurt.

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 02:13:14 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
The title says "hard" foul not "flagrant" foul.  There is a big difference.  A flagrant can escalate, or earn a suspension.  A hard foul is just a message.  It's got a place in the NBA, particularly the playoffs.  If someone is showboating you can give them a hard foul just to remind them this isn't a playground, and they aren't playing chumps.

No, don't undercut the guy, and don't powerslam him, but a good wrap-up never hurt.

I'm just not sure that the refs know the difference between the two.  Posey got called for one in Game 2 after Pierce was hammered and there was no flagrant called.
Yup

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 02:15:02 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
we are too good a team to stoop that low and try and put a player down..no need to be dirty...let jus beat them and move on to the next.....

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 02:35:50 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
we are too good a team to stoop that low and try and put a player down..no need to be dirty...let jus beat them and move on to the next.....

Well said, Bass ... TP. Just because the Hawks threw integrity to the wind, doesn't me we have to. We got game, and that will do the talking for us ... always better to take the high road. (But there is that little devil inside of me that would like to see Horford body-checked into the 7th-row seats)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 03:08:08 PM »

Offline bringbackcousy

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 20
The crowd goes ballistic everytime he dunks..making him earn it at the line does'nt do as much for those bandwagon Atlanta fans..

Smith should hit the floor tonight..Put in PJ Brown or Baby to take care of it

careful, they might booo you all night if you show up to their arena

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 03:36:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think that type of a response to anything has it's time and place. This is not that time or place. The Celtics can beat this team with fluid offense and solid defense, things that were sorely lacking Saturday night, without having to hurt someone or cause an incident.

If there comes a time where that type of play will be warranted I am sure it will be against an opponent a hell of a lot better than the Atlanta Hawks.

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 03:42:31 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
The two players most likely to give a hard foul, Perk and Powe, spent most of the game on the bench.