Author Topic: Thoughts from a Hawks Fan  (Read 9683 times)

Thoughts from a Hawks Fan
« on: April 27, 2008, 09:45:20 PM »

Offline AtlSportsFan

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 3
Hey everyone. I come in peace, not to be brag like crazy over last nights game. People in Atlanta are pretty excited right now, though. Us fans realize our chances in actually winning this series, or even another game for that matter, but Atlanta has been through a lot lately and the "David vs. Goliath" win last night gave us something to cheer about, even just for a day. The Hawks haven't had many fans or publicity even in our own papers for YEARS, so last night was special to us. Please don't flame, I just want to talk basketball.

Re: Thoughts from a Hawks Fan
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 09:48:51 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Nice effort by you guys last night.  I don't even mind the Horford stuff.

I like your team for the future.  You just need to find a legitimate point guard, and decide which young guys to build around (I'd focus on Smith, JJ, and Horford, and would let Williams and Childress go.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 09:50:26 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Congrats on the win last night.  The series has definitely become more interesting.  From an outsider's perspective, it must be real nice to see the Hawks in the playoffs again after such a long absence.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 09:52:13 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
much props to the hawks...i must admit the hawks got me worried...i need 2 40oz's to get through the games...horford is sick wit it....

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 09:53:28 PM »

Offline AtlSportsFan

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 3
Although the Horford taunting business was uncalledfor, the players on the Hawks were getting sick of him and KG talking up a storm for the past week. He's just a kid and was so pumped up that he lost his cool for a second. I really like the Hawks for the future as well. I still haven't gotten over the fact that we could have gotten Chris Paul instead of Marvin Williams. And although we do need a point guard, we need a center more than anything. I don't know if many people know this, but Al Horford is a natural PF, not a C. He played this entire season out of position, which makes his accomplishments even more amazing. But given the Hawks average age, the boost in fan support that is sure to come, and the possibility of high end center coming in next year, they will be consistant contenders.

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 09:57:03 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
The Hawks haven't had many fans or publicity even in our own papers for YEARS, so last night was special to us.
I check out the Atlanta Constitution from time to time. The comments there are crazy, lots of negativity for the writers at the paper. Appearantly very upset at the lack of positive Hawks news and many who believe the writers there have led an attack against Mike Woodson (by the way, I think Woodson deserves it, he's been very poor)

Just funny you should mention the papers

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 10:28:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Hawks fans can think?! Wow, they've come a long way!!

Sorry, it was there I had to take the shot. Seriously, welcome to the best basketball blog and community in the world. And I commend the Hawks on a game well played.

As I said in another thread, with Horford, Smith, Law, Childress, and Williams there's a real good young core there. Horford seems to be showing the leadership skills that team sorely needs. Add a good PG(i.e. not Bibby) and a consistent outside threat(something along the lines of a House, Kapono, or Boobie Wilson type player) and the Hawks will be making a lot of noise in the future. Oh, get rid of your coach, he is awful.

Atlanta, Philadelphia, Portland, and Seattle will all be teams to keep an eye on over the next 3-4 years or so.

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 10:28:41 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Hey everyone. I come in peace, not to be brag like crazy over last nights game. People in Atlanta are pretty excited right now, though. Us fans realize our chances in actually winning this series, or even another game for that matter, but Atlanta has been through a lot lately and the "David vs. Goliath" win last night gave us something to cheer about, even just for a day. The Hawks haven't had many fans or publicity even in our own papers for YEARS, so last night was special to us. Please don't flame, I just want to talk basketball.

Welcome ... we love good discussion here, and really good discourse requires a difference of opinion ... these blogs would be pretty boring if we all agreed. Your team won a good game, and they beat the best team in the NBA ... that's plenty to feel good about and be proud of .... so don't make apologies.

The Celtics were horrible, and they didn't deserve to win last night, (even though we would have found a way to deal with it if they had), so you've every right to gloat ... it's one of the perks of being the fan of a good team. The Hawks are a very good team, and I think many take them for granted, or don't quite realize how athletic and explosive they can be.

Most of us here do, though, as we've tasted it, and it's not easy for us to swallow. I don't think the Celts will underestimate them again, either, but they've still got a fight on their hands. There's a lot to be said for heart and hustle, and your team has plenty. But you've gotta remember that the C's have a ton of that, too ... in fact, it's what has gotten them this far, and they're not about to abandon it now.

They had a lapse last night, and a big one, but it's likely to be a different story on Monday. One thing about this team, (that many thought would never have the record they do), when they're knocked on their butts, they don't stay down for long, and their resiliency is second only to their heart and determination. So please, feel free to share with us, and rub our noses in it a bit ... it's what fans do, and it's what your team has earned by it's win.

If nothing else here in Boston, we're used to being razzed and taunted, and we can take it. But we can also dish it out from time to time, and you can bet that we'll be just as proud and cocky after a win, as we are gracious and reticent after a loss. I thank you for taking the time to come here and gloat ... it shows a great deal of courage and pride for your team ... and that's something we here at CB can appreciate, for we're the same.

Enjoy your visit, feel free to contribute, we're glad to have you, because it brings the enemy a bit closer, and tempers our resolve. But be on alert, and bide your time ... because above all else, you are in an enemy camp ... and we aim to execute our justice. The Celtics take no prisoners ... and our beloved Green Machine will prevail.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 10:30:03 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
The ownership situation in Atlanta has cost that team a lot of support. It's hard to follow a team when you never know what will happen tomorrow, will the coach be there? The general manager? The players? Where is the future going? Is their a plan? Why are they reluctant to spend money?

Throw in a few big mistakes from management and you're dead in the water.

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 10:34:48 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Atlanta fans ever complain about not getting Chris Paul?
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 10:57:50 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
The Hawks are a very good team, and I think many take them for granted, or don't quite realize how athletic and explosive they can be.
The Hawks are a poor team that have no business being in the playoffs

They're unbalanced - lack of shooters, lack of post play, too many weak or mediocre defenders, too many bad decision makers, not enough good passers.

They have some nice raw individual talent but none of it is used effectively. They don't push the ball (19th number of possession per game). Al Horford got only 8.2 shot attempts a game during the regular season. He's their best post player and an effective scorer yet the Hawks rarely pass him the ball in useful positions and hardly ever run a play for him. These knuckleheaded mistakes drive me crazy.

Josh Smith is promising but he makes a mininum of four mental mistakes a night. Like throwing that pass behind Al Horford on the fast break in the fourth quarter last night. He's a nightmare dribbling the ball off rebounds. Or Tony Allen like turnovers where he dribbles the ball off his foot or knee or hip. Or missed defensive rotations or possessions where he cheats too much on defense looking for the block/steal and gives up an easy shot. Or failing to post up a smaller player or failing to take advantage of his quickness against bigger players. Very poor recognition and decision making. He's also blighted with inconsistency, not just game-to-game but quarter-to-quarter, they never know what they'll get out of him

Then you have Mike Bibby who is the single worst defender starting at point across the league and isn't really an upgrade over Anthony Johnson despite his $14mil a year contract. He's lost a step and is nowhere near the player he once was. He brings some confidence to the side but his actual playing ability has done nothing to improve the squad.

This is a bad team with an interesting young group of players, who are make an unbalanced team, that needs a better foundation to help them. They need better coaching and more veterans to show them the way.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 11:03:07 PM by Who »

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 11:01:30 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
They could use a solid young PG to add to that young nucleus ???

1   Andrew Bogut (C)    Australia   Milwaukee Bucks   Utah

2   Marvin Williams (SF)    United States   Atlanta Hawks   North Carolina

3   Deron Williams (PG)    United States   Utah Jazz (from Portland)   Illinois

4   Chris Paul (PG)    United States   New Orleans Hornets   Wake Forest

5   Raymond Felton (PG)    United States   Charlotte Bobcats
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 11:04:26 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
The Hawks 2008 draft pick, No.15, is owned by Phoenix too. That'll hurt their ability to add to the roster. Does anyone recall why they owned Phoenix that pick? I forget.

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 11:10:47 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
The Hawks are a very good team, and I think many take them for granted, or don't quite realize how athletic and explosive they can be.
The Hawks are a poor team that have no business being in the playoffs

They're unbalanced - lack of shooters, lack of post play, too many weak or mediocre defenders, too many bad decision makers, not enough good passers.

They have some nice raw individual talent but none of it is used effectively. They don't push the ball (19th number of possession per game). Al Horford got only 8.2 shot attempts a game during the regular season. He's their best post player and an effective scorer yet the Hawks rarely pass him the ball in useful positions and hardly ever run a play for him. These knuckleheaded mistakes drive me crazy.

Josh Smith is promising but he makes a mininum of four mental mistakes a night. Like throwing that pass behind Al Horford on the fast break in the fourth quarter last night. He's a nightmare dribbling the ball off rebounds. Or Tony Allen like turnovers where he dribbles the ball off his foot or knee or hip. Or missed defensive rotations or possessions where he cheats too much on defense looking for the block/steal and gives up an easy shot. Or failing to post up a smaller player or failing to take advantage of his quickness against bigger players. Very poor recognition and decision making. He's also blighted with inconsistency, not just game-to-game but quarter-to-quarter, they never know what they'll get out of him

Then you have Mike Bibby who is the single worst defender starting at point across the league and isn't really an upgrade over Anthony Johnson despite his $14mil a year contract. He's lost a step and is nowhere near the player he once was. He brings some confidence to the side but his actual playing ability has done nothing to improve the squad.

This is a bad team with an interesting young group of players, who are make an unbalanced team, that needs a better foundation to help them. They need better coaching and more veterans to show them the way.

I think they're a good team, with poor direction, and about two players from being a deeper playoff contender. Time will tell, but I think they have a good core to build on.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 12:09:26 AM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 11:17:40 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
The Hawks belong in the playoffs when you look at the conference they play in.  I think they are giving us a better series than Indiana or New Jersey would.  They're a good young team and this experience will be very good for them.  I think we would've swept those other teams with their veterans that know they were going to lose and didn't bother giving it their all.  This team is so young and perhaps don't even realize how big of an underdog they are.  They are raw and talented and fun to watch. 
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."