Author Topic: Is anyone else pulling for the Sixers?  (Read 7755 times)

Is anyone else pulling for the Sixers?
« on: April 27, 2008, 05:15:37 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I am very much hoping for the Sixers to win tonight to make it a 3-1 series lead. To me, Detroit's flopping in an earlier game whith Boston really made me realize how much they tended to complain about almost everything and be very arrogant. 

However, I've never been a fan of the Sixers either, but I find myself excited whenever the Sixers beat the Pistons in this series. I know that the Pistons are more talented, and can control the game, but do not seem to have the focus to do so.

How about you all? Also, if they do indeed take a 3-1 series lead, do you think the Pistons will wake up and close the series out with 3 straight wins?

Re: Is anyone else pulling for the Sixers?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 05:21:14 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I'm hoping the Sixers win.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 05:25:57 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200
of course, but it goes against all my instincts!!   ;D
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 05:31:29 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Detroit are an easier opponent than Orlando. The Celtics should want Detroit in the conference finals. Phily have no hope of beating Orlando, Orlando can handle their defense and score easily against them.

Still I'd like to see them lose. I want Joe D to re-tool that team, it's seen it's final days. Someone out of that core needs to go, at least one, possibly more. They're not a true contender anymore. I've been saying it since the summer, they're good enough to beat anyone in a playoff series but not to do it four times in a row to win a title. They don't have what it takes to win a title anymore. Much weaker than a few years ago.

Phily can do it. It'd be fun if they did.

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 05:50:03 PM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
I would love to see them win the series, they definently deserve it since everyone basically gave up on them being anything special since AI left town. It would be nice to see toronto somehow stretch orlando into a longer series aswell.

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 06:00:01 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Absolutely ... hate the Pistons, and I'd love to see them have their heads handed to them by Philly. The Pistons have always been either the number one or number two enemy of the Celtics, and any long-term die-hard C's fan can't possibly pull for them, (unless it's for secondary purposes, like more preferrable match-ups).
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 11:37:45 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
the sixers are fun to watch and if they beat detroit they become the Warriors of last year's playoffs, although maybe not quite that entertaining...

The deal with Denver gets better and better....and better.....

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 11:58:54 AM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
Absolutely ... hate the Pistons, and I'd love to see them have their heads handed to them by Philly. The Pistons have always been either the number one or number two enemy of the Celtics, and any long-term die-hard C's fan can't possibly pull for them, (unless it's for secondary purposes, like more preferrable match-ups).
I agree with you,hate the Pistons also,and it goes back to the Zeke days with me.I never like Zeke,Lambeire,a few others.The only one i ever liked as a player in Piston history,was J.Dumars...guess its true,good things,happens to good people.Look at Zeke's situation at the present vs Dumars.

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 12:00:09 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I'm torn.  I would love to see a Detroit-Boston series, and I honestly think the C's run wouldn't be the same if it didn't go through Detroit.  However, I think the C's run would be significantly easier if they didn't have the face the Pistons.

When it comes down to it though, I do want the Pistons to win, because I just can't wait for the possibility of a C's-Pistons ECF.  I want the C's to win, and I think they can and will win that series...but its also about entertainment, and that is the most entertaining series possible on so many levels.

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 12:12:13 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm torn.  I would love to see a Detroit-Boston series, and I honestly think the C's run wouldn't be the same if it didn't go through Detroit.  However, I think the C's run would be significantly easier if they didn't have the face the Pistons.

When it comes down to it though, I do want the Pistons to win, because I just can't wait for the possibility of a C's-Pistons ECF.  I want the C's to win, and I think they can and will win that series...but its also about entertainment, and that is the most entertaining series possible on so many levels.

Same boat here.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 12:21:02 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

Same boat here.

Cleveland was the champs of the East. They were the team I wanted the Celtics to go through. Not Detroit, never Detroit, Detroit were weaker than Cleveland, much weaker. But then they went and made that idiotic trade. Now there's nobody in the East to go through. No holder, no frontrunner. Just a few talented teams (Boston, Orlando, Cleveland, Detroit).

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 12:31:44 PM »

Offline earl

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
I'm not pulling for the Sixers as much as I am rooting against the Pistons. I hate how they handle themselves and how they continue to be the hot pick for the finals.

How many years in a row does this team have to get knocked out for people to realize they aren't a finals lock? Getting punked out in the first round by a less talented team would be hilarious, IMO. The Detroit Pistons are the Mark Blount of the league, team-wise.

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 12:38:07 PM »

Offline bringbackcousy

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 20
I have the same feelings for this as the Yankees vs Cleveland series last year. I want our rivals out and embarrassed early, but at the same time I want to beat them. Shoot, I think I will be happy either way.

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 12:44:05 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Same boat here.

Cleveland was the champs of the East. They were the team I wanted the Celtics to go through. Not Detroit, never Detroit, Detroit were weaker than Cleveland, much weaker. But then they went and made that idiotic trade. Now there's nobody in the East to go through. No holder, no frontrunner. Just a few talented teams (Boston, Orlando, Cleveland, Detroit).

I don't think Cleveland was ever better than Detroit.  I think Cleveland was a horrible matchup for Detroit, who have much more trouble matching up against Lebron than they do against more balanced teams.

I think Detroit on the other hand poses a much more interesting matchup for the C's though.  The C's can handle the one dimensional Cavs with their team defense, but have much more trouble against a team like Detroit who move the ball and have multiple weapons that can hurt you. 

Also, a Detroit Boston series is just more fun in general, because of the history between the two clubs (recent, and not so recent).  There also are much more compelling matchups (Billups-Rondo, Prince-Pierce, Garnett-Wallace, etc.).  But most importantly, I think there is genuine animosity between these two teams.  They don't like each other, and a 7 game series will turn into an all-out war.  I just can't see that happening with Cleveland, who are all about Lebron, and even when they do "mix it up" with other teams, it seems contrived. 

Pistons-C's would be two teams led by genuinely insane players (Wallace and Garnett).  To me, that is a fun time.

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 12:44:49 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
Detroit Basketballll.....!!!!

Bbbbbbillups....!!!