Author Topic: Jeff Van Gundy: No More Flopping  (Read 2467 times)

Jeff Van Gundy: No More Flopping
« on: April 27, 2008, 04:57:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't know how many of you are watching the PHX/SA game but something just happened that I thought was noteworthy. After yet another flop causing the ref to call an offensive foul, Van Gundy went off like very few analysts this side of Tommy Heinsohn do.

He vehemently called for the league offices to put an end to the seemingly endless amount of flopping that goes on to cause offensive fouls to be called. He said that there needs to be a rule set in place that would penalize a player for these actions.

And he was very emotional and loud about it!

When his broadcasting partner said that it would be awfully hard for the league to put something like that into effect Jeff made my day when he said, and I paraphrase:

'That's too bad, it's their job to something abbout it. It's hard to guard Tony Parker too, but you have to try to do it. You just can't decide not to guard Tony Parker. Just because something is hard doesn't mean you don't do it.'

Jeff Van Gundy just became my favorite national color commentator!! I know he is good but to semi spit in the face of the league like that by criticizing the way the league does things is just precious.

Now if he can only go off on the state of officiating in the NBA, maybe something will be done.

As for my opinion of how to stop this crap. Just don't call the foul. Let the guy who the flopper is guarding continue to do what he was doing with his opponent sitting his can on the floor. When players start to see that the refs aren't going for it and they are constantly giving up layups because of the flop, maybe they will decide it's better to stay on their feet and play defense.

I just don't see how else to address it.

Re: Jeff Van Gundy: No More Flopping
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 05:32:15 PM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58
I think there actually is a rule against flopping, where if you flop it results in a technical. The problem is I've never once seen this rule applied. I'm glad JVG brought it up. I'm still a lot more concerned with uneven reffing though than I am with flopping.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 06:44:49 PM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
Well comming from a more soccer dominated country, i can say that flopping/cheating your self to a faul in any sport is something i find ruins the viewing experience of the game from my perspective anyway, it has been a big problem in soccer in the early 90's but the rules was tightende up, witch has made most players think twice about floping, espeicaly in tournament-style games where yellow cards carry over to the next game.

With the NBA's struggle with its image post Jordan years, i think this would be something the NBA should look into to clean up its image.

But i have to say Jeff Van Gundy makes me feel alot smarter when listening to him, even more so than listening to John Madden, heck even when John Madden painted a penis on the telestrator when explaining a play.
"Leadership is diving for a loose ball, getting the crowd involved, getting other players involved. It`s being able to take it as well as dish it out. That`s the only way you`re going to get respect from the players"

- Larry Bird

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 07:52:07 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I was a little anti Van Gundy when he said Paul didn't deserve to have his number retired, but other than that, he has been completely on point. I am so tired of people saying it's a hard thing to officiate, it's actually really easy. If you flop it should go as a foul against you, if your intent is to act and ruin the game, then you will be one step closer to not being a part of it. If they get their act together and make a point to call it a lot at the beginning of next season, the embarrassments of the NBA (Ginobili, Derek Fisher, Horry, Bowen, Billups) will learn to stop doing it.