Poll

What factored in more to the Celts loss last night?

Simply put - the Hawks were in a zone
21 (58.3%)
Poor Shooting by the Celts
2 (5.6%)
The pace of the game
1 (2.8%)
Doc (for all you Doc bashers)
8 (22.2%)
No Toine (for all you Toine lovers)
1 (2.8%)
The Atlanta crowd
0 (0%)
Violet Palmer Curse
3 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Why Did the Celts Lose Game 3 Poll  (Read 7779 times)

Re: Why Did the Celts Lose Game 3 Poll
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008, 04:19:50 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
The C's were buying their own hype and looking ahead to the next round.  The combination of that, and the Hawks playing about as well as they can possibly play led to the perfect storm. 

All this game showed was that this team is just as susceptable to let downs as the majority of really good teams are. 

Hopefully they learned from it, and are back on track next game.

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2008, 05:39:40 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200
The C's were buying their own hype and looking ahead to the next round.  The combination of that, and the Hawks playing about as well as they can possibly play led to the perfect storm. 

All this game showed was that this team is just as susceptable to let downs as the majority of really good teams are. 

Hopefully they learned from it, and are back on track next game.

It's better for them to learn this lesson against the sub .500 Hawks than teams in the later rounds.
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2008, 05:48:15 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
All of the above, (except #5), and more.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2008, 06:56:03 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
i feel pierce should have been on the court in the fourth quarter for more than the final 7 mins. i thought he should have gone in at about the 10 minute mark. i also felt rondo should have been in for more than the final 6 mins or so. rondo would have helped stop the bleeding on d (because sam wasnt really playing any) and pierce would have helped to get the offense going. the celts still might not have come all the way back but i def think it would have been more of a ball game.

I said in another thread that PP and Rondo only playing 30 minutes in a playoff game is inexcusable. Has Pierce ever played 30 minutes or less in a playoff game that wasn't a blowout?  I doubt it.  I'm sorry, but Doc is just an awful, awful, awful coach and I don't see my beloved C's getting #17 with him as coach if this is the way he plans on coaching in the playoffs >:(

What an awful post.  Sorry, but it is this type of post that almost leaves me speechless.  As a soon to be 2 time Coach of the Year, I'll suggest to you that charactierizing him as an 'awful, awful, awful coach' would be the height of absurdity and truly negates any credibility your opinions may otherwise merit.  He appears to be loved by his players (you recall KG, Sam, Ray and others expressing their high opinions of him), he is certainly loved by the architect of this contending team (Danny), Red Auerbach seemed to love him and guys like Sean Grande, Tommy and Mike (though paid to be Celtics supporters) seem genuine in the their respect for him.  He will likely be voted for the second time in a short coaching career as COY -- and I do believe that this is voted on by people who spend their lives watching NBA basketball.  'Awful, awful, awful coach?'  Your reason? The C's lost their 17th game out of the last 85?  Did you think they'd sweep through the playoffs?  You have watched the playoffs before -- correct?  You do understand that no one sweeps through the playoffs?  Can we expect this drivel after each playoff loss.

You want an explanation for playing Pierce 36 minutes (yes, 36, not 30)? I'll give you 2 plausible explanations:
1) Doc may have made an error in judgment.  If so, it would mean he is flawed -- like every coach in the NBA. It would not be evidence of being an awful coach.
2) Perhaps you noticed Pierce was hurt in the last game?  If so, perhaps Doc didn't want Pierce to play long stretches.  Pierce declaring himself 100% in public -- this does not mean he is actually 100%.

I am not smart enough to make sweeping characterizations of Doc Rivers as a coach-- partly because I am not wise enough, but mostly because I acknowledge that a fans view of a head coach encompasses less than 10% (my guess) of a head coaches job.  In other words, we see very little of Doc in action as a coach.  To declare him 'great' or 'awful' is folly and your predictable degradations of Doc Rivers following C's losses do nothing to add to otherwise viable analysis. Critical analysis of Doc's in game decisions are always fodder for critique -- but leaps to 'awful, awful, awful' is just, well, awful.

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2008, 07:16:27 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Some combination of the first four, plus lack of intensity, selfish play, and poor officiating.

thats pretty much how i feel as well. thanks hobbsy ;D

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2008, 07:39:23 PM »

Offline lefty12

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
i dont know how many of you watched the game, but if you were paying attention, ou may have witnessed ATL dunking uncontested and finshing at the rim from start to finish without much resistance from the celts.
sure, there were some threes late in the game, but check the shot chart, the hawks scored at will in the paint.

all the other reasons mentioned here are ancillary.

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2008, 07:40:21 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I have to go with Palmer. Right from the second I saw she was doing this game (along with Salatore, too... jeez) I knew we would lose the game

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2008, 07:48:07 PM »

Offline bostonsportsfan

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 9
Violet Palmer needs to be investigated she might be part of Tim Donagees club. She is always making horrible calls against us.  When all else fails blame the refs :)