Poll

What factored in more to the Celts loss last night?

Simply put - the Hawks were in a zone
21 (58.3%)
Poor Shooting by the Celts
2 (5.6%)
The pace of the game
1 (2.8%)
Doc (for all you Doc bashers)
8 (22.2%)
No Toine (for all you Toine lovers)
1 (2.8%)
The Atlanta crowd
0 (0%)
Violet Palmer Curse
3 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Why Did the Celts Lose Game 3 Poll  (Read 7776 times)

Why Did the Celts Lose Game 3 Poll
« on: April 27, 2008, 11:59:14 AM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200

Well, they got the loss out of the way, I now cannot wait until Monday night!!

In the meantime -- let the useless finger pointing begin.

I cast my vote on the fact that the Hawks were just flat out in a zone and I think the bubble will pop on Monday.

What do you think?
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

Re: Why Did the Celts Lose Game 3 Poll
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Some combination of the first four, plus lack of intensity, selfish play, and poor officiating.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 12:23:22 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
The Celtics played a very uncharacteristically poor game and the Hawks played very well. This game was completely unwinnable from the start of the 2nd half with the clock malfunctions throwing the Celtics out of focus for the entire 2nd half. As a result, they get to play at least one extra playoff game they hadn't planned on.

It is convenient to blame Violet Palmer for our woes but it was our lackadasical effort that cost us the game.

See my blog for more details.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 01:06:50 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Josh Smith is a 25%  3 point shooter and he hit 3 or 4 3's last night?....Yeah..........not likely to happen again. They were on fire last night, they would've been tough to beat even if Boston played well (and they didn't).  Basically these youngins get enough confidence and they play better, so the Celtics need to get on their head early and pound on them all game (like the first 2 games) because they can play from out front, but not from behind.

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 01:12:00 PM »

Offline keepthefaith

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 22
i feel pierce should have been on the court in the fourth quarter for more than the final 7 mins. i thought he should have gone in at about the 10 minute mark. i also felt rondo should have been in for more than the final 6 mins or so. rondo would have helped stop the bleeding on d (because sam wasnt really playing any) and pierce would have helped to get the offense going. the celts still might not have come all the way back but i def think it would have been more of a ball game.

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 01:16:16 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Defensive Rebounding, plain and simple. They got the offensive boards and second chance points. Without so many of those we win.

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 01:18:02 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
i feel pierce should have been on the court in the fourth quarter for more than the final 7 mins. i thought he should have gone in at about the 10 minute mark. i also felt rondo should have been in for more than the final 6 mins or so. rondo would have helped stop the bleeding on d (because sam wasnt really playing any) and pierce would have helped to get the offense going. the celts still might not have come all the way back but i def think it would have been more of a ball game.

I said in another thread that PP and Rondo only playing 30 minutes in a playoff game is inexcusable. Has Pierce ever played 30 minutes or less in a playoff game that wasn't a blowout?  I doubt it.  I'm sorry, but Doc is just an awful, awful, awful coach and I don't see my beloved C's getting #17 with him as coach if this is the way he plans on coaching in the playoffs >:(
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 01:25:22 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I thought I woud never say this, but maybe the Celtics shoud play small against Josh Smith. Let Paul play pf against Smith.

Rondo
Ray
Posey
Paul
KG

bench

Cassell
House
Tony
Powe

Sorry Perk
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 01:34:06 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I thought I woud never say this, but maybe the Celtics shoud play small against Josh Smith. Let Paul play pf against Smith.

Rondo
Ray
Posey
Paul
KG

bench

Cassell
House
Tony
Powe

Sorry Perk

I don't mind PP on Smith, but to go smaller against a younger more athletic team that is killing us on the boards wouldn't be wise.

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 01:39:19 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Small ball Chief? Say it isn't so? I never thought I'd see the day.

Garnett is the C's best defensive option against Smith. Josh is scared of him and hardly ever posts him up. Putting a small on Josh gives Atlanta an outlet in the halfcourt because he can post Paul or Posey up. Smith's only averaging like 13ppg in 5 matchups against the C's. He just got hot, the man shoots 25% from three (this is a man that's taken 100 threes a season for three years, that number is an accurate reflection of his shooting ability) he's not someone who makes 2-3 clutch threes in the fourth normally. Very doubtful he does it again.

The Celtics shouldn't change a thing. Just play their game, Atlanta can't win if they do that. Starting with offensive execution.

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 02:00:51 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
The Celtics stopped playing the defense that got them to this point.  They weren't playing team defense and were all trying too hard individually.  They need to get back to team play.

Also, I really think that shot clock thing had an effect on the game.  Game was tied at 56 going into the third.  The Celtics typically come out strong in the third and take over.  The Celtics usually work the clock down as they swing the ball and look for the open man and the best look at the basket.  Many of their shots will come well under 10 seconds on the shot clock. The Hawks on the other hand shoot mostly within the first 15 seconds of the Shot clock.    With the PA guy seemingly using 2 different watches to count down the final seconds it threw the Celtics off of their game.  They ended the quarter down 10.  Then, when the shot clocks mysteriously reappeared with just over 6 to go in the 4th, the Celtics went on a run.  I have to believe that the shot clock mess affected the Celtics much more than the Hawks.   

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 02:16:32 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
SHOT CLOCK

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Small ball Chief? Say it isn't so? I never thought I'd see the day.

Garnett is the C's best defensive option against Smith. Josh is scared of him and hardly ever posts him up. Putting a small on Josh gives Atlanta an outlet in the halfcourt because he can post Paul or Posey up. Smith's only averaging like 13ppg in 5 matchups against the C's. He just got hot, the man shoots 25% from three (this is a man that's taken 100 threes a season for three years, that number is an accurate reflection of his shooting ability) he's not someone who makes 2-3 clutch threes in the fourth normally. Very doubtful he does it again.

The Celtics shouldn't change a thing. Just play their game, Atlanta can't win if they do that. Starting with offensive execution.

I think Paul could get Smith into foul trouble quickly. Smith loves to block shots and Paul loves to draw fouls. Maybe a perfect combo. With Smith out, the Celtics could start doing layup drills. :)
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 04:01:57 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
Lack of intensity from 4 out of the 5 starters.No consistent bench roatation,which didn't allow a chemistry to develop at any period,when bench players came in.Doc inconsitency in who will play each game.Player lack confidence it seemed when coming off the bench.Poor officiating(especially Violet).She seems to be hard on BBD everytime she refs when he plays.BBD was the only bench player who brought some intensity to the floor from bench players.Powe never got into any flow because,he never didn't play enough minutes.So,half goes to the players,split the rest between the coach,and refs.

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 04:06:05 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Well, they got the loss out of the way, I now cannot wait until Monday night!!

In the meantime -- let the useless finger pointing begin.

I cast my vote on the fact that the Hawks were just flat out in a zone and I think the bubble will pop on Monday.

What do you think?
I'm going with your theory on this one.  Tip your hats and hopefully use it as a wake-up call that cruise-control time is over.
Yup