Author Topic: Horford A Class-LESS Act  (Read 13307 times)

Horford A Class-LESS Act
« on: April 27, 2008, 05:54:06 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Nice win by the Hawks tonight ... they outplayed the Celtics, (who outplayed themselves), had more energy, more heart, and more hustle. Now that I've said that, I'd like to state that I think it's a travesty that Al Horford was not hit with a technical for the crap he displayed at the end of the game. He's obviously trying to prove to the world that he's deserving of the "Classless Player of the Year" award, and he's certainly got my vote!

Here was an officiating crew, who seemingly were intent on not letting the Celtics get away with anything, and yet, even though taunting is not supposed to be allowed, they completely looked the other way when Horford ran past Pierce, as he was getting up off the floor, and after Al had made a basket, yelling taunts at Paul and making hand-gestures at him. He made even more gestures immediately following the game, and the only reason Paul didn't retaliate, is because Brian Scalabrine went onto the floor and physically restrained his captain.

SHAME on you, Bennett Salvatore, Violet Palmer, and Tom Washington! There have been few times in recent years when there was a more blatant bias exhibited in a playoff game, and where such immature behavior was allowed to go unpunished. You spent every moment of this game looking for ways to give advantage to the lesser team, and if that wasn't bad enough, simply looked the other way when a player exhibited clearly taunting behavior, behavior that would be quickly nipped in the bud by any official of true character.

Sure, this stuff goes on all the time in small doses, mostly when the officials are looking elsewhere, but this was very clearly in Pierce's face, after he'd gone to the floor, and nationally televised for the world to see. By allowing this kind of garbage to go on without consequence, you're setting a poor standard for behavior to come. Why, I ask, in a game where the refs were so intent on keeping the Celtics restrained, would they allow the opponent to be so clearly over-the-line?

Double-standard? Bias? Hypocritical? Yup ... on all counts, and extremely shameful to say the least. I've seen a lot of games this year that really called into question the integrity of the NBA officiating staff, but this one was as bad as any, if not more so. All I can say is I hope somebody of import was watching, because this blatant control of the outcome of games, and the obvious preference given to some teams and not others, can not be allowed to continue. The refs should have to answer to a higher power, (at least one more effective than the present one), and should have to suffer consequences when such inbalances are intentionally created.

I'm not really too worried about Horford ... he'll no doubt be getting his from Pierce and the rest of the Celtics in the next game. In fact, if I were him, I'd be a bit apprehensive about what retribution will be focused on him in the game on Monday ... it will no doubt be harsh indeed. But these officials continue to get away with this blatant bias for the underdog, or teams they just feel "warmer" toward, and it's time it was scrutinized in the same way the players are.

Somebody like Horford is easy to deal with ... he's an arrogant jerk who makes no effort to hide it, and the C's, as well as his running mouth, will take care of him. It's the guys with the whistles that worry me ... who is it that will take them to task, and how far will it go before someone does?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 06:05:38 AM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

Re: Horford A Class-LESS Act
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 06:57:38 AM »

Offline blueygreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
Any bets that Pierce posterizes Horford next game, then does the whole hand-gesture/taunt thing and gets hit with a tech?

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 07:32:21 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
Seeing as how Tony Allen got hit with a technical for celebrating at one point during the regular season (Don't remember when but it was a BS call and not much celebrating on Allen's part at that) there could have been at least 10-15 times last night Atlanta's players could have gotten tech's for the same thing.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 07:43:19 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Eh...  Our team probably talks more trash than any team in the league, and our players have done their share of talking, yelling, over-celebrating, taunting, and maybe even being classless.  (Examples off the top of my head: against Detroit at home, against Minnesota at home, against New York on the road.)  Things like that don't bother me all that much, especially when we're doing the same thing.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 08:18:43 AM »

Offline Alessandro

• Author
  • Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 34
Things like that don't bother me all that much, especially when we're doing the same thing.

It's true ... in fact, wasn't there a recent article (in the Globe, mayhaps) where Garnett admitted that the C's are the new "Bad Boys" and are pretty much disliked by the rest of the league for their demeanor during games?

"Rick Fox comes in to give Alton Lister a blow ... " - Tommy Heinsohn, 2/14/97

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 08:24:03 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I was actually kind of embarrassed Paul headed toward the Hawks bench, then made some kind of hand gesture. Paul is suppose to be a leader not some thug. He has got to keep his emotions in check when these type things happen.

As for Horford, he is a young kid who just won the biggest game in his NBA career. Yes maybe he should not have taunted like that, but that is what 21 year old kids do. Hopefully the Celtics will make him learn.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 08:30:43 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
If they'd like to get rid of him....we'll take him...cut him some slack...he's a great competitor and a winner

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 08:45:19 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Things like that don't bother me all that much, especially when we're doing the same thing.

It's true ... in fact, wasn't there a recent article (in the Globe, mayhaps) where Garnett admitted that the C's are the new "Bad Boys" and are pretty much disliked by the rest of the league for their demeanor during games?

Yep, Bill Doyle had it:

The Celtics have become so good, they’re bad.

Celtics fans love it when Garnett screams at the top of his lungs, pulls at his jersey and points to the team name on it. They eat it up when Kendrick Perkins, Glen Davis and Leon Powe pound into opponents and knock them to the floor. They marvel at the team’s tough, physical defense and winning ways.

But rival teams and fans aren’t too happy about it.

“We chose to be the bad guys of the league right now,” Perkins admitted.

Perkins credits Garnett for creating the Celtics’ new love-them-or-hate-them image.

“He gives us our whole swagger, as far as how we’re the bad guys,” Perkins said.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 10:26:12 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
I keep saying, this guy(Horford) is as dirty as they come.  He is only a rookie and has taken some dirty shots at players around the league. I saw that play he did on TJFord, a while ago, and the "sandwich" play on PP the other day. 

We need more Perk on the floor. We need Perk - the equalizer.

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 10:37:57 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I keep saying, this guy(Horford) is as dirty as they come.  He is only a rookie and has taken some dirty shots at players around the league. I saw that play he did on TJFord, a while ago, and the "sandwich" play on PP the other day. 

1) On the T.J. Ford thing, everyone (the Raptors, Ford himself, etc.) agreed that the intent wasn't dirty.  Horford went and visited Ford in the hospital and sat with him for hours because of how bad he felt about it.  (Link.  "It wasn't a dirty play at all," Ford said. "I think I just kind of tricked him with the move and he got caught in a bad spot. He's a good kid. I told him I'm not holding anything against him.")

2) As for the sandwich play, I'm not sure what one you're talking about.  Do you mean the one where he was hit, knocked down, and then fallen on top of?  If so, that play involved Joe Johnson and Josh Smith, not Horford.

I don't think Horford is a bad kid.  He just seems like a competitor, but one with a good heart off the court.  I'm not going to condemn him for getting caught up in the moment and talking trash.

(For what it's worth -- and I would say very little -- a poster on the Hawks RealGM board reported that Horford was responding to a Pierce taunt from the end of Game 2, when Pierce was jawing with Horford, betting him $10k that the Celts would sweep.  Link).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 11:51:00 AM by Roy Hobbs »

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 10:53:00 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Perhaps I was wrong on the 'sandwich play".  I don't know why TJ would say something like that, I watched that game and the play when it happened.  I saw the whole thing developing and in Hortford's mind, there was no way TJ was going to get the shot off....you could see Horford intentions from the get go.  He had no shot at blocking that ball. None.

Just keep an eye on him.  When things don't go his way, he looses composure and hard(borderline flagrant) fouls happen.

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 11:02:38 AM »

Offline MaineBleedsGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
(For what it's worth -- and I would say very little -- a poster on the Hawks RealGM board reported that Horford was responding to a Pierce taunt from the end of Game 2, when Pierce was jawing with Horford, betting him $10k that the Celts would sweep).

I kind of hope that's not true.

Like I've said before, horford was my ROY this year.

I'm not to worried about the horford-pierce thing last nite. Like the ESPN announcers were saying, the last thing you should be trying to do as the Hawks is making pierce more angry for game 4. I'd add; especially when the win was clearly in hand.

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 11:04:20 AM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Lebron was quoted as saying the Celtics and the Pistons talk the most.

Since coming into the NBA, James has engaged in some heated trash talk with the Celtics, whom he says are among the league's chattiest squads. "They're up there," he said. "Them and the Pistons. They talk but they back it up. Sometimes it can get annoying, but they can back it up."

http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=135&pid=0&sid=1339856&page=2

James said the Boston Celtics and the Detroit Pistons are two teams that do plenty of trash-talking.

"It's in a competitive way, but they back it up," said James. "We all know they fly off the mouth sometimes, but they play great basketball. That's not what our team is about, but when you win ball games, you do want you want to do."

James has had some run-ins with the Celtics' Paul Pierce over the years. They've had some classic duels, and they've also shared a few choice words.

"Pierce and I are two competitors," James said. "We look at each other as two of the best forwards in the game. We go at it, and it's just competitive. I love going against the best, and he's one of the best."

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/120229065925000.xml&coll=2

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 11:08:26 AM »

Offline BigDanz2000

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 33
You know I wanted to post this same topic after Game 1 when the Hawks were beat down.   Al Horford is exactly that, classless.  Even when the Hawks were getting beat by 25 points and he was nailing 15 foot jumpers he was turning to the Celtics bench and mouthing off, seemingly on every possession he scored.  As if his measly jumper means anything except the lead is no longer 25, but now 23.  This guy needs to take a beating next game, not an actual back alley beating but the C's Defense has got to come at this kid hard, because it is clearly obvious that this kid is the heart of the Hawks.
When the Celtics are on offense they need to pound it down low to Garnett and Pierce and make this kid play some defense, really bang into him, draw some fouls, he is going to be over aggressive so the Celtics should take advantage of that. 
Its time to shut this kid up, now that he has made it his agenda to be that annoying playground kid who likes to boast on everything he does. 

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 11:22:00 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I would LOVE to have Horford as a Cs
Not this year but for years to come
Period.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!