Author Topic: Intensity And Energy  (Read 8819 times)

Intensity And Energy
« on: April 26, 2008, 11:04:06 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
All season long one of the Celtics best advantages has been their energy and hustle. On a nightly basis they've just wanted it more than the opposition, it's pulled games out, it's helped them pick off unprepared teams.

I couldn't help but watch Atlanta's heart and hustle tonight and think every team in the playoffs the rest of the way is going to play with this level of intensity. I hadn't even really thought about it, I was just so used to watching the C's outwork teams. What was a huge advantage for the Celtics in the regular season is going to be minimized the rest of the way.

I've thought throughout the year that the Celtics have relied on intensity versus execution down the stretch of close games. What happens there now?

Re: Intensity And Energy
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 11:11:47 PM »

Offline reggie35

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 51
ditto that sentiment. they've been in close games, but there's nothing like the playoffs. it seems like nobody really wanted to take charge tonight on the offensive end.

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 11:16:05 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
well, we can put to rest the argument that these guys are the reincarnation of the '86 celtics...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 11:16:58 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Well, I for one am fully expecting this to be the wake up call.  The Celts have been coasting for weeks on end, and the first two games of this series were just an extension of that.  I just don't see that the Celtics were "exposed" tonight.  Atlanta didn't unlock some secret key, they played a great game and the Celtics weren't ready for it.
Yup

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 11:21:41 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Well, I for one am fully expecting this to be the wake up call.  The Celts have been coasting for weeks on end, and the first two games of this series were just an extension of that.  I just don't see that the Celtics were "exposed" tonight.  Atlanta didn't unlock some secret key, they played a great game and the Celtics weren't ready for it.

This is indeed the wake up call. The C's should have been prepared for the upped intensity level in the playoffs, and since they weren't, they are now.

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 11:23:54 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
i posted this a week or so ago, but i posed the question that we have no idea what to expect from this team come playoff time.  i hope that this was an aberration...God help us if the hawks take us to 7 games in round one...

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 11:25:35 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
It all starts at the defensive end, and unfortunately tonight the Celts did not play much defense.  Way too many uncontested layups and dunks for the Hawks.  That is the reason they lost this game. 

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 11:32:39 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I could care less about Atlanta and this game. This is a thoroughly un-important game.

What shocked me was their intensity, I hadn't considered it at all, I just got so used to seeing this team out-hustle everyone every game. Coming into the game with more heart and more energy than just about every opposing team during the regular season. I got so used to seeing that that I never considered it possibly changing. Now they're going to be playing teams throughout the rest of the playoffs that can negate part of that advantage, match that advantage, or surpass and beat that advantage on a nightly basis. Every quality playoff opponent will come out as if their season depends on that one possession because it does. Never thought about it until now, I was that used to seeing this team out-work everyone.

The character of this team is clearly very strong and I expect they'll still have an advantage on several nights. But by how much? Surely it's not going to be as much as the regular season.

How will it manifest itself? I've already said I've been worried about intensity versus execution late in games with this squad. What other areas? What areas do you think could it affect? Offensive rebounding has been an issue tonight at times during the season, will it grow during the playoffs? What else?

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 11:44:23 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Its also one game. Let's not freak out.

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 11:47:39 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
I could care less about Atlanta and this game. This is a thoroughly un-important game.

What shocked me was their intensity, I hadn't considered it at all, I just got so used to seeing this team out-hustle everyone every game. Coming into the game with more heart and more energy than just about every opposing team during the regular season. I got so used to seeing that that I never considered it possibly changing. Now they're going to be playing teams throughout the rest of the playoffs that can negate part of that advantage, match that advantage, or surpass and beat that advantage on a nightly basis. Every quality playoff opponent will come out as if their season depends on that one possession because it does. Never thought about it until now, I was that used to seeing this team out-work everyone.

The character of this team is clearly very strong and I expect they'll still have an advantage on several nights. But by how much? Surely it's not going to be as much as the regular season.

How will it manifest itself? I've already said I've been worried about intensity versus execution late in games with this squad. What other areas? What areas do you think could it affect? Offensive rebounding has been an issue tonight at times during the season, will it grow during the playoffs? What else?
Thanks Who...Now I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight!  Now I think I know how my mother felt when I'd forget to tell her I'd be home late. ;)
Yup

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 12:07:40 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I think Who's point has been brought up in the past. Many of us have wondered if KG, for example, could raise his intensity level in the playoffs when it seemed to be maxed out all season.

My take on the loss is that we are new to this and there will be growing pains still as a team, especially with a newer part like Cassell. Winning 4 straight is also tough to do when teams are constantly adjusting.

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 12:15:48 AM »

Offline chrismihm

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
im honestly glad i wont be at the next playoff game.  im terrified of being in the same area as kg right now.  hes going to be an absolute psycho monday night.  he may or may not just grab a hawks player/fan/coach/exec, turn into a dragon or something and jsut eat him mortal kombat style. seriously.

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 02:18:43 AM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
I never expected us to sweep the Hawkes,figured we would lose at least 1game in this series ,but not lose in this way either.I feel the energy level wasn't there,especially with most of the starters.KG was the only starter who came to play 4 quarters.I give BBD credit for bringing some intensity from the bench...  i will give them a break,and not try to overwork this dark night in Georgia.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 02:25:58 AM by jay_jay54 »

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 08:18:51 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
there is NO such thing as an unimportant playoff game... ::)

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 08:49:45 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
hmmm...Actually, I slept just fine last night after all :) (until my 5-year old had a a bad dream that is)

No worries here.  This game will be just what the Doc-tor ordered.

"I told the guys after the game that I thought each guy wanted to win the game by themselves, which you can't do," coach Doc Rivers said. "I like the fact that they wanted to win the game. The only way you're going to do that is as a team.

"Even in the end you saw Rajon [Rondo] try to back Mike Bibby down [and got a foul]. That's not what we do, but that's what they all did. Rajon tried to win the game for us. Ray wanted to win the game for us. Paul [Pierce] wanted to win the game for us. But we have to win it as a group and that's how it always has to be."
Yup