Author Topic: Does being good hurt you financially in the playoffs?  (Read 2149 times)

Does being good hurt you financially in the playoffs?
« on: April 26, 2008, 09:57:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I was just thinking about if Atlanta could make this a 5 game series and I realized that game 5 would be in Atlanta. So if you're a really good team and close out your playoff opponents in 5 games, doesn't it cost you a lot of money because the fifth game is in the opponents arena. It just doesn't seem fair that the losing team gets 3 home gates and you only get two if you close out a series in 5? Is that really a home field/court/ice advantage.

I've always hated the 2-3-2 playoff format that has taken over American sports. It was done in the name of saving travel money, but I think in every way it favors the team that doesn't have home court advantage. I could go on forever about those reasons.

And now that I thought of the financial end of it, it seems if you have a very good team and home court, it hurts at the money making end of things as well.

Re: Does being good hurt you financially in the playoffs?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 09:59:51 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Only the Finals is 2-3-2.  The first three rounds are the typical 2-2-1-1-1.  If there's a Game 5, it's in Boston.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 10:10:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Thanks Roy. But is that in other sports as well, I thought baseball was all 2-3-2 and since I don't follow hockey I don't know about that sport. Still even in the Finals I still think it's not right.

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 10:44:02 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Every series should be 2-2-1-1-1, 2-3-2 really favors the road team.