Author Topic: NFL Draft...  (Read 17617 times)

NFL Draft...
« on: April 26, 2008, 01:51:34 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Could anyone care less than me?  I mean should it really be all over the top of ESPN.com and on their broadcasts instead of the crucial playoff games tonight.  In my opinion it is the most overrated days in sports.  My goal is to not watch a minute of it.  Usually I would only keep track to see who the Pats pick up, but as of now I am not speaking to them because of their actions in the Super Bowl.  I mean how many of these people actually have an impact come winning time in the NFL playoffs.  People say it'll matter in a few years, I personally couldn't care less about that at this point. 

Show me some NBA Playoffs, and some baseball highlights and I'll be satisfied.  I'm glad we have a game tomorrow night so I can focus on that and forget about this huge waste of a day in sports.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

Re: NFL Draft...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 12:21:20 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I love the NFL draft.  I will be watching. 

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 01:00:49 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Could anyone care less than me?  I mean should it really be all over the top of ESPN.com and on their broadcasts instead of the crucial playoff games tonight.  In my opinion it is the most overrated days in sports.  My goal is to not watch a minute of it.  Usually I would only keep track to see who the Pats pick up, but as of now I am not speaking to them because of their actions in the Super Bowl.  I mean how many of these people actually have an impact come winning time in the NFL playoffs.  People say it'll matter in a few years, I personally couldn't care less about that at this point. 

Show me some NBA Playoffs, and some baseball highlights and I'll be satisfied.  I'm glad we have a game tomorrow night so I can focus on that and forget about this huge waste of a day in sports.
I'm with you here Ma.  I understand the attraction and importance of the draft, but how many mock drafts do you need to hear for a month prior to the draft?  Pre-draft countdown clocks starting from 48 hours away? Blahhhhhhhhhhh.
Yup

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 01:09:04 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
The draft for me is one of those word programs where I will in no way go out of my way to watch it or even remember it is on, but if I turn on ESPN and see it, I will be captivated by it. I think their commentary is pretty good during the show, and there is so much drama with all these player's futures being decided in a somewhat arbitrary manner.

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 01:09:26 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266

I'm with you here Ma.  I understand the attraction and importance of the draft, but how many mock drafts do you need to hear for a month prior to the draft?  Pre-draft countdown clocks starting from 48 hours away? Blahhhhhhhhhhh.
Thank God for NBA.TV,best thing ever happened to offset the problem of having to watch those NFL draft talk, you are speaking about on (ESPN especially) over,and over,and over.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 01:22:25 PM by jay_jay54 »

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 01:22:22 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

nfldraftcountdown.com has a countdown clock that runs year round.

the nfl is one of the most popular sports.  it is easily going to interest more people then three nba playoff games. obviously more is immediately at stake in the playoff games but the draft affects football fans all over. 

lastly, before the nba draft espn devotes large chunks of time to it, to the lottery, mock drafts etc...

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 01:29:31 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
In the time it took you to complain about ESPN, you could have watched all those baseball and NBA playoff highlights without even leaving the comfort of your browser.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 03:49:31 PM »

Offline RondoIsAPimp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 23
I love the draft. Today is like Christmas to me. And best of all, the redskins haven't traded all of there picks this year to re-aquire Brandon Lloyd...yet.

Hmmm, the Pats are kinda in a crappy situation right now though. None of the top 6 players slipped to them. They should really try and trade out of the No.7 spot. Try and find someone who wants Sedrick Ellis. If they are keeping the pick, they should just take Ellis anyways, he's the best player availible. No corner is worth the 7 spot in my opinion.

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 04:05:50 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
What else did the Pats get for the 7th pick besides the 10th pick?
Yup

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 04:06:23 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
I think the Pats will keep trading down, trading down, trading down until they're drafting with the first pick in the second round (number 32 overall) with about 12-15 3rd round picks.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 04:09:18 PM »

Offline RondoIsAPimp

• Jaylen Brown
What else did the Pats get for the 7th pick besides the 10th pick?

The Pats get 10th pick and a 3rd rounder.

Bengals get 7th pick and a 5th rounder

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 04:12:15 PM »

Offline RondoIsAPimp

• Jaylen Brown
10 is a good spot to take a corner. Dominique RC is an athletic machine. He's got the best measurables out of all the DBs. Brandon Alberts would be a safe pick and a very Belichek like pick

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 04:15:52 PM »

Offline RondoIsAPimp

• Jaylen Brown
Wow! Jerod Mayo...I was hoping he would slip to the Redskins at #21. This is very high for him, but I will never doubt the Pats front office on draft choices. Still, im mildly surprised. Definitely fills a need with their aging linebacker core.

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 05:03:13 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Mel Kiper said it was a good pick so I'm happy.  He's been around forever and using him is better than learning the hundreds of players that are going to be picked.  See ya at training camp Mayo, now back to watching a good game between the Raptors and Magic and the Yankees losing to Cleveland.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 05:04:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Excellent pick with Mayo and once again the Pats prove that there isn't a mock draft expert alive that knows what the Pats think. All anyone heard was the need for a corner. Sorry, that is not a value money position for the Pats and there was no way and is no way the Pats will ever draft a corner that high. They obviously had Mayo targeted and were only trying to trade as far down as possible to where they could still draft him and make him more financially affordable. My guess is that they were willing to trade down as low as 13 or 14 because they think he would have still been there.

Anyone who watched the college game this year knows just howvaluable this kid was to that Vols defense. He was the key to everything they did. He was a double digit tackle machine and is made in the same mold both physically and mentally as a Teddy Buschi, maybe even more physically gifted. He has an unteachable nose for the ball and a great ability to read offenses. He will be huge for this team for years.

And as always, all indications are that he is a leader and exemplary human being.