Author Topic: hack-a-shaq is a disgrace...  (Read 16380 times)

Re: hack-a-shaq is a disgrace...
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2008, 03:50:41 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
I'd sign Barry Bonds, I'd do steroids if I played and I'd hack-a-Shaq my way to a 5th ring in a heartbeat.

I understand your sentiment, but it's important to distinguish that steroids are against the rules while fouling Shaquille intentionally is not.

Btw, I assume from your screen name that you're a big Dave Matthews fan?

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2008, 04:25:57 PM »

Offline lobstermobster

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
It's a disgrace that Shaq can't hit his free throws

Absolutely true, Who.  If D'Antoni doesn't want to participate, get O'Neal off the court.  It's ridiculous that he can't develop even a basic fundamental free throw stroke when he's played basketball his whole life.  If D'Antoni wants to participate, the Suns should do exactly the same thing to Bruce Bowen.  At this point in their respective careers, they're about equally effective for their teams.  Or let Nash do what he does best....flop and flail like he's been shot after the Spurs are over the limit. 

They need to change the rules, or dig up old rules or the refs should just take the law into their own hands. This shouldn't be happening.

If they dug up the old rules, what would Lebron do?  No 5 steps without a dribble you say??  No phantom fouls?  While they're changing the rules, how about a technical + the ball for flopping.  

i think we need to look at this from a fan perspective, and from a fan perspective this makes the game  unwatchable.

Personally, I find Lebron's games unwatchable.  He is officiated in such a grossly biased way that his games aren't authentic.  That's a whole lot more disgraceful than hack-a-shaq.  As a fan, I'd rather see a competitive game with strategy involved than a foregone conclusion based on the commissioner's desire to showcase an elite player for $$$$.  

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2008, 04:28:45 PM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
I'd sign Barry Bonds, I'd do steroids if I played and I'd hack-a-Shaq my way to a 5th ring in a heartbeat.

I understand your sentiment, but it's important to distinguish that steroids are against the rules while fouling Shaquille intentionally is not.

Btw, I assume from your screen name that you're a big Dave Matthews fan?

Ah, TP, you're the first to bring it up, yes I am. Going to the Toronto show, 3rd row, and other shows. PM me if you're ever in the area assuming you're a fan.

Yeah that is true about the steroids, now, but they weren't banned by baseball at the time as we all know. I guess that's a dumb statement on my part considering steroids are treated as a narcotic in the eye of the law after all.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2008, 04:45:27 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145

Ah, TP, you're the first to bring it up, yes I am. Going to the Toronto show, 3rd row, and other shows. PM me if you're ever in the area assuming you're a fan.

I am a HUGE Dave fan. I've seen him five or six times and actually met him last year when he and Tim Reynolds played an acoustic show here in Boston. Looking forwards to a new album, whenever that will be.

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2008, 04:54:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
First, let's put aside the term "Hack-a-Shaq" and call it what it really is, that being, fouling a player and making that player earn his points at the line rather than get a more makable shot.

This philosophy is the same philosophy that the Celtics and most teams employ. But when you're dealing with Shaq or Reggie Evans or Ben Wallace the tactic is considered to have less integrity because that player is such a terrible free throw shooter??? I'm sorry that one is a head scratcher.

My old coach from way back used to have us shoot free throws until our shoulders hurt. His stance was they call it free for a reason. During the game you have someone trying to stop you from scoring, usually within 2 feet of you with a hand in your face. When you're at the FT line no one is guarding you, no hands in your face, no one trying to block the shot. It should be an almost automatic 2. And the only way to get that is by practice, practice, practice.

These less than 60% free throw shooters are the real disgrace to the game. To think that because they were big and talented and almost guaranteed to get in the league by the time they hit high school and didn't practice to improve this part of their game because it wasn't easy or "sexy" in a basketball sense is the real disgrace. These kids see highlight reel dunks, facials, unearthly blocks, and three pointers as part of the game they love and practice these until they can't move. But a free throw, never.

Well free throw shooting is also a part of the game. Always will be. And if players like Shaq can't hit over 70% they deserve to be fouled every time down floor. They think their size and dunking ability is a great asset to their team and should be used by their team. And they are right. But their free throw shooting is a huge hole in their team's armor and it is up to the other coach and team to not only see it, but exploit it.

"Hack-a-Shaq" is dull, boring, hard to watch, aggravating and effective. Instead of complaining about it perhaps people should be lamenting the fact that their heroes suck at a very, very important part of the game.

Every sport has an ugly part to it. Football holding penalties, backfield contact, and offsides. Baseball intentional walks, constant OB philosophy of taking pitches, and constant situational relief pitching. Soccer the whole [dang] sport. And basketball "Hack-a-Shaq". Al things that are done with the idea of trying to increase your chance of winning(in football 's case if you don't get caught).

They are part of the toatl game. Get used to it.

Oh, and if the Celtics play the Suns in the Finals, here's a guess, there won't be anyone complaining about the technique anymore.

not just singling your post out, but people who talk about it as a strategy everyone used either didnt watch or the game, or at a minimum didnt read the earlier posts.

the original spirit of the post was not intended to deal with the technique on the basic level.  In this game and series, the foul was occuring the second they inbounded the ball.  there was no attempt to even allow an offensive set to be instituted as no matter who had the ball on the inbound shaq was hugged.  that is a problem.  that is not the normal 'hack a shaq'. 
I watched the games. I read the posts. And it doean't matter if you're talking about when he is shooting or when his team is in the penalty and inbounding the ball.

If any team playing the Suns feels when Shaq is in the game and about to shoot, or in the game while the Suns are in the penalty, that they are probably going to be more successful allowing a 50% FT shooter taking 2 FTs than they are guarding a team shooting 49% from the field in their offense and 31% from the three point line, they are going to foul Shaq.

Period, end of story. Hell, mathematically it makes sense.

And it doesn't matter if the fans hate it, or the Suns hate it, or Shaq hates it. It is within the rules of the game.

And quite honestly thinking that the league should change a rule because a player decided not to practice their free throws during his lifetime is obscene.

They change rules to enhance the game, not to hide player deficiencies. They change the rules to balance the game when the players outgrow the game(see Wilt dunking free throws), not to cover up the fact that their stars feel they need only excel at certain parts of the game and not even try to get better at others.

If a team doesn't want a "Hack-a-Shaq" to happen to them, don't sign players who will be playing big important minutes that can't shoot 60% from the line on their best days.

And if the fans don't want to watch this type of tactic, switch the channel to another game or don't watch. I'm sure there is a channel or three hundred that has something else on. If they don't want to watch it at a game they have tickets to, give them or sell them to someone else. I'm pretty sure they will find someone willing to take Suns tickets off their hands.

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2008, 05:03:30 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

not just singling your post out, but people who talk about it as a strategy everyone used either didnt watch or the game, or at a minimum didnt read the earlier posts.

the original spirit of the post was not intended to deal with the technique on the basic level.  In this game and series, the foul was occuring the second they inbounded the ball.  there was no attempt to even allow an offensive set to be instituted as no matter who had the ball on the inbound shaq was hugged.  that is a problem.  that is not the normal 'hack a shaq'. 
I watched the games. I read the posts. And it doean't matter if you're talking about when he is shooting or when his team is in the penalty and inbounding the ball.

If any team playing the Suns feels when Shaq is in the game and about to shoot, or in the game while the Suns are in the penalty, that they are probably going to be more successful allowing a 50% FT shooter taking 2 FTs than they are guarding a team shooting 49% from the field in their offense and 31% from the three point line, they are going to foul Shaq.

And it doesn't matter if the fans hate it, or the Suns hate it, or Shaq hates it. It is within the rules of the game.

And quite honestly thinking that the league should change a rule because a player decided not to practice their free throws during his lifetime is obscene.

They change rules to enhance the game, not to hide player deficiencies. They change the rules to balance the game when the players outgrow the game(see Wilt dunking free throws), not to cover up the fact that their stars feel they need only excel at certain parts of the game and not even try to get better at others.

If a team doesn't want a "Hack-a-Shaq" to happen to them, don't sign players who will be playing big important minutes that can't shoot 60% from the line on their best days.

And if the fans don't want to watch this type of tactic, switch the channel to another game or don't watch. I'm sure there is a channel or three hundred that has something else on. If they don't want to watch it at a game they have tickets to, give them or sell them to someone else. I'm pretty sure they will find someone willing to take Suns tickets off their hands.

I have never once suggested the rules should be changed.  that was others.  I simply said it was a disgrace, which it is.

As for your last paragraph about fans switching the channel if they dont want to watch it, well guess what...thats what the fans are doing.  instead of generating huge ratings numbers, huge revenue etc...spurs series get low low ratings.  its a black eye for the league.  I watched about 10 minutes of the game and decided to put a dvd on instead.  that game wasnt worth my time.

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I have never once suggested the rules should be changed.  that was others.  I simply said it was a disgrace, which it is.

As for your last paragraph about fans switching the channel if they dont want to watch it, well guess what...thats what the fans are doing.  instead of generating huge ratings numbers, huge revenue etc...spurs series get low low ratings.  its a black eye for the league.  I watched about 10 minutes of the game and decided to put a dvd on instead.  that game wasnt worth my time.
I wasn't suggesting you said to change the rules, I was addressing others. Sorry yall, I should have been more clear.

And the hack-a-shaq has nothing to do with the ratings. It was involved in a ton of Lakers games that got pretty decent ratings, even to the extent you are discussing at some of the game's ends during those Laker's years.

The ratings have been falling for years and the Spurs are boring. That's the reason for bad ratings. Today's form of defensive playoff basketball is boring for the casual fan that was watching the league during it's ratings heyday. The Knicks, Heat, and Spurs have driven away fans in droves with their clutch and grab and foul at every cost rather than let up a basket type of defense. Pat Riley and Jeff Van Gundy should be expelled forever from the game for introducing this crap to the league.

You want good entertaining basketball watch the Celtics/Lakers of the 80's, Lakers/Kings of 6 years ago, Bulls/Pistons of the late 80's early 90's. Put that type of playoff basketball on the tube and watch the casual fan return. Lakers/Celtics in the Finals this year will bring back the ratings. Offense vs. defense is always a draw. Both teams also have a bunch of very marketable names and players.