Author Topic: hack-a-shaq is a disgrace...  (Read 16399 times)

hack-a-shaq is a disgrace...
« on: April 25, 2008, 11:47:29 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
I understand the need for that type of basketball at certain times.  Sure, in the fourth quarter of a close game it makes sense...But what the spurs are doing is just a disgrace and embarressment to basketball.

They have turned these games into boring, uneventful games.  fouling shaq when you are up double digits before halftime is annoying.

This is a joke.

Re: hack-a-shaq is a disgrace...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 11:49:16 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
It is a good stradegy and it works. 

That's all he Spurs care about.

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 11:49:42 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
It's a disgrace that Shaq can't hit his free throws

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 11:52:46 PM »

Offline blueygreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
They need to change the rules, or dig up old rules or the refs should just take the law into their own hands. This shouldn't be happening.

As for Shaq making his free throws, absolutely he should be. Having been in the league for so long and having the whole hack-a-shaq thing come up so often, you'd think he'd work to improve.

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 11:53:49 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!

They have turned these games into boring, uneventful games.

That's their style.

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 11:55:12 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Yes Shaq should be able to hit his fts but its still a disgrace and is ruining the product on the floor.

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 12:00:37 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Yes Shaq should be able to hit his fts but its still a disgrace and is ruining the product on the floor.

Absolutely, RR ... TP. It totally ruins the game, changes the momentum and the integrity of "pure" basketball, and is much like excessive flopping and cheap shots. It intimates to me a lack of class, and the need to rely on things less than appropriate, instead of just good basketball.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 12:02:03 AM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
I agree with Wdleehi and Who.  Hack-a-shaq is very smart strategy if Shaq can't hit his free throws.  I don't care what the product looks like, the name of the game is winning.  If Shaq's free throw shooting is SO bad that it is an advantage for the other team to foul him, that is a reflection of his weakness.  Coaching is about exploiting weaknesses in your opponent.  Instead of complaining about it or ridiculing it as Shaq has through the years, he should do something about his atrocious shooting.

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 12:15:17 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I agree with Wdleehi and Who.  Hack-a-shaq is very smart strategy if Shaq can't hit his free throws.  I don't care what the product looks like, the name of the game is winning.  If Shaq's free throw shooting is SO bad that it is an advantage for the other team to foul him, that is a reflection of his weakness.  Coaching is about exploiting weaknesses in your opponent.  Instead of complaining about it or ridiculing it as Shaq has through the years, he should do something about his atrocious shooting.

Oh, I agree that Shaq should be expected to hit his free-throws, (though there's been more money spent on it than the National Debt), and I agree with the principle of doing what you need to win, (and, hypocritically, would probably use it if I were an opposing coach), but it just comes across as a tactic lacking in integrity, (which is not much of a consideration anymore, unfortunately), and leaves a bitter taste in my mouth somehow. I see the value and reasoning in it, I just think there's a higher road to take, and something to be said for those who still realize the value of relying on skill and character. I'm just more of a purist, I guess ... and a traditional fuddy-dud.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 12:33:35 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Oh, I agree that Shaq should be expected to hit his free-throws, (though there's been more money spent on it than the National Debt), and I agree with the principle of doing what you need to win, (and, hypocritically, would probably use it if I were an opposing coach), but it just comes across as a tactic lacking in integrity, (which is not much of a consideration anymore, unfortunately), and leaves a bitter taste in my mouth somehow. I see the value and reasoning in it, I just think there's a higher road to take, and something to be said for those who still realize the value of relying on skill and character. I'm just more of a purist, I guess ... and a traditional fuddy-dud.

I agree, I dislike watching it.  Just like I dislike watching flopping.

But both are part of the game.  Both can help a team win.

Both can be fixed.

To stop flopping, call offensive fouls, even if the defensive player doesn't fall over.

To stop hack of Shaq type defense, make players work on their free throws. 

If you shoot less then 60% from the line, everytime you step to the line, it is a one and one situation.  Players will have to improve their shooting, or they will really hurt their team

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 12:48:48 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
I understand that it is working...that doesnt mean it isnt a disgrace. I understand it is technically within the rules...that doesnt mean it is a disgrace.  They are basically taking a great big poop on the game of basketball.

And as for Shaq not being able to hit foul shots...I dont think it has ever been a situation where he didnt work on them.  simply because he is not good at them doesnt mean he didnt put in the work.  there have been countless stories about the different shooting coaches he has hired to try and improve at it.

but again, that isnt what the thread was meant to get it.  it was meant to point out how a team has turned a potentially exciting series into a joke.  and as i said, i understand the strategy in the closing minutes of a close game, but to do it when you are up double digits before half time is absurd.

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 12:54:08 AM »

Offline drkalloch

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
"Hack a Shaq" is NOT part of the game. In fact, it is completely analogous to AROD yelling "got it!" as he rounded the bases in Toronto last year. Sure, it helped the Yankees win the game, and was technically within the rules, but it was classless and really should be looked at with disdain.
TheKMan.

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 01:00:12 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
somewhere Chris Ford is smiling...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 01:04:44 AM »

Offline Amir

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 48
No, you know what, Shaq is a disgrace. Learn how to shoot a [dang] free throw. They are free.

That and his Defense have been horrid. Just makes me more in love with this team.

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 01:30:39 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Then let's change more rules to protect the flaws of players. Let's bring in a rebounding rule for Eddy Curry. Let's outlaw all offensive rebounds when Curry is in the game because he's too bad at a skill on the basketball court.

Or how about we allow point guards to double dribble because they don't all keep their dribble alive like Nash and Paul do.

Shaq is making a disgrace out of this game because he can't shoot FTs. He cost his team all momentum and rhythm to their offensive game. He made the game look ugly.

No rule change